Page 1 of 2
I've just been wondering how long bands have been playing palm muted open strings in their songs similar to how Asking Alexandria, Attack Attack!, and other bands have in the past few years? Or was it first popularized in the mid 2000s? I'm just super curious.
Quote by lafawafa
I've just been wondering how long bands have been playing palm muted open strings in their songs similar to how Asking Alexandria, Attack Attack!, and other bands have in the past few years? Or was it first popularized in the mid 2000s? I'm just super curious.

Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack! are pretty much the most innovative bands of our era, TS. I mean, the mid 2000's was just a few years ago.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
It was popularized by Meshuggah (from the implication of your description), and later bastardized/watered-down/sapped of all of its essence, by literally every butt-metal band after.
This thread...
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Also TS, the proper term for those bands is called Djent. Don't go to other music forums without this knowledge or they will shame you.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
Also TS, the proper term for those bands is called Djent. Don't go to other music forums without this knowledge or they will shame you.

I mean, I know of djent, but I was just talking about those bands that will have breakdowns of mostly palm muted open strings. I was just curious as to what started that trend.
Last edited by lafawafa at Jun 17, 2015,
Quote by Fat Lard
It was popularized by Meshuggah (from the implication of your description), and later bastardized/watered-down/sapped of all of its essence, by literally every butt-metal band after.

No, you need to go back further than that.

It's always been a staple of metal riffs since at least the early 80's. Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer riffs all had open note, heavy palm mute triplet riffs played at speed, this idea just evolved slowly until around the time Pantera got popular, and then they made everything really simple and shitty, and then nu-metal was like 'oh yeah, this works' so then simple and shitty became normal.

Perhaps Meshuggah have more to do with it now but didnt when the phenomenon actually started and much less than is obvious considering Meshuggah had a certain complexity above open 0 notes, even on Nothing and Catch 33.

You can basically blame it on bands like KSE and the Acacia Strain who took all the 90's metalcore breakdowns and just used open note riffs all the time, thus creating a trickle-down version of what we have now.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer

It's always been a staple of metal riffs since at least the early 80's. Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer riffs all had open note, heavy palm mute triplet riffs played at speed, this idea just evolved slowly until around the time Pantera got popular, and then they made everything really simple and shitty, and then nu-metal was like 'oh yeah, this works' so then simple and shitty became normal.

Perhaps Meshuggah have more to do with it now but didnt when the phenomenon actually started and much less than is obvious considering Meshuggah had a certain complexity above open 0 notes, even on Nothing and Catch 33.

You can basically blame it on bands like KSE and the Acacia Strain who took all the 90's metalcore breakdowns and just used open note riffs all the time, thus creating a trickle-down version of what we have now.

Ah, okay. That answers my question, thanks!
Quote by EpiExplorer

True. Been around since before Sabbath and whatnot, but assumed he meant the djent 'sustain palm-mute/open fretted' notes. Good post good post
Who invented Ab
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Their strings are either tuned so low or are so out of tune it doesn't matter what notes they're playing anyway.
I haven't really cared to find out who exactly started the open-note "br00tz" chugs, but as everyone else said, it's a watered-down version of 80s/90s metal breakdowns.

Quote by EpiExplorer
heavy palm mute triplet riffs played at speed

Most bands used a "galloped" rhythm which is reminiscent of a horse galloping (hence the namesake). It's usually an 8th note followed by two 16th, but it's also common to have two 16ths followed by an 8th note.

Even though there are three notes in one beat, it's not a triplet. A triplet is where the notes are of equal length in a given beat. So, in one beat in 4/4, there would be 3 8th note triplets in that beat.

Sorry for sounding like an ass/jerk/know-it-all/etc. I just thought I'd share some knowledge.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by snipelfritz
Who invented invention

who invented inventions for inventing inventions
ayy lmao
who invented people to invent inventions for inventing inventions
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by Baby Joel
who invented people to invent inventions for inventing inventions

who invented inventions to invent people to invent the inventions that would be invented to invent the inventions for future inventing
ayy lmao
Quote by Fat Lard
^^tbf, all three can be 16ths too sometimes (if your picking hand is teh swolez)

Yep, there's 16ths, too. But for the most part, 8th note triplets seem to be a bit more common.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by chookiecookie
who invented inventions to invent people to invent the inventions that would be invented to invent the inventions for future inventing

once you reach this point, 'invent' seems like a fake word and it takes forever to figure out what it is
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by Baby Joel
once you reach this point, 'invent' seems like a fake word and it takes forever to figure out what it is

What is is what?
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by chookiecookie
who invented inventions for inventing inventions

Me and your mom.

BAM.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?

Kevin Spacey invented invention. </thread>
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Last edited by SGstriker at Jun 18, 2015,
Click and Clique?
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by SGstriker

Kevin Spacey invented invention. </thread>

Spevin Kacey
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
What is life?

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Page 1 of 2