I've got my new Creamback installed in my Marshall DSL40c and so far so good!

Now, I've got a band practise tomorrow night and I'm not really going to get any time to gently break the speaker in at low volume. I'm currently playing some low volume rock music through it for a few hours.

Some questions if anyone can advise please?

1. We're not the loudest rock band in the world but could I do any damage by cranking it up so soon after being installed, without it being played through for a considerable amount of time at lower volumes?

2. My Seventy 80 used to hiss a bit on the red channels getting worse as you turned up the gain and volume, but I don't recall any on the green channels. With the Creamback I've noticed hiss on the green channels too starting at fairly low volumes. Is this normal and part of it breaking in?

3. Could it be that because the Creamback is a 65w speaker and the Seventy 80 is an 80w speaker that I'm likely to hear hiss sooner at lower volumes?

Beside that though it sounds awesome out of the box!
Quote by Goochster

1. We're not the loudest rock band in the world but could I do any damage by cranking it up so soon after being installed, without it being played through for a considerable amount of time at lower volumes?

Don't forget to change the break-in oil in the tiny chamber in the center of the magnet under the label and you should be good. OR...not.

Quote by Goochster

2. My Seventy 80 used to hiss a bit on the red channels getting worse as you turned up the gain and volume, but I don't recall any on the green channels. With the Creamback I've noticed hiss on the green channels too starting at fairly low volumes. Is this normal and part of it breaking in?

It has nothing to do with breaking it in. You've obviously got a cat confined in the cone area.

Quote by Goochster

3. Could it be that because the Creamback is a 65w speaker and the Seventy 80 is an 80w speaker that I'm likely to hear hiss sooner at lower volumes?

No

Quote by Goochster

I'm assuming you want it to sound awesome INSIDE the box, however...
Quote by Goochster
I've got my new Creamback installed in my Marshall DSL40c and so far so good!

Now, I've got a band practise tomorrow night and I'm not really going to get any time to gently break the speaker in at low volume. I'm currently playing some low volume rock music through it for a few hours.

Some questions if anyone can advise please?

1. No you won't hurt the speaker, your actually doing a good thing

2.The hiss is from your amp/tubes, not the speaker. speakers don't hiss unless the amp itself hisses.

3.No. you probably need some new tubes. That would be my guess and what I'd do first.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
1. No you won't hurt the speaker, your actually doing a good thing

2.The hiss is from your amp/tubes, not the speaker. speakers don't hiss unless the amp itself hisses.

3.No. you probably need some new tubes. That would be my guess and what I'd do first.

*sigh* There you go making sense again.
We've TALKED about this...
Quote by dspellman
*sigh* There you go making sense again.
We've TALKED about this...

sorry man, I just don't know what got into me........ Oh yeah I do, beer and buds
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks Robb

I've just got back from band practise and this speaker sounds amazing compared to the Seventy 80. Like night and day. So glad I took the plunge!
Yeah I have a Eminence GB128 which is a 50watt greenback type speaker, and it sounds pretty nice with my 1980Jr which is a very HR marshall type amp. I do like the G12h30 speakers a little more though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i am sure that is a hella upgrade from the seventy/80. i need to get a creamback in my hands to try one of these days.

HNSD
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks dude!

Just do it!

I know they put mediocre speakers in these amps so they can keep the price lower but the difference a better speaker makes is unbelievable.

It sounds like a different amp all together!
nice score on the speaker

and yeah going from a mediocre, "cost-effective" speaker to a good one normally makes a massive difference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?