I finally got my tax refund so I am ready to get my equipment. Looking for some suggestions on an Amp and any effect boxes you think I might need/want without going crazy. I like playing Blues followed distantly by classic rock. My wife will have a cow if I spend too much so I'd like to keep the whole amp/effects thing below 350-400. I am no where near a professional or even a mildly talented amature so I don't need the last word in tone and I live in an apartment so I also don't need a lot of power. When I used to actually play I had a Fender Twin Reverb, so I'd like something along that sound only smaller and cheaper. I am thinking of getting a Fender Champion 40 with what effects boxes I have no idea, or possibly a Mustang 2, advantage here is it seems to come with a ton of effects already built in. I suspect the Champion is going to be the better sounding amp though. I would like to come close to the sound of Buddy Guy, Freddie King, a little cleaner John Lee sound maybe. I am going out tomorrow to listen to a few amps and I'll probably have a better idea what I want or don't want after that. Some essential and good effects boxes are the main thing as I have NO clue on those at all. The only thing I ever owned was a Big Muff a long time ago.
Fender superchamp xd or superchamp x2, or the smaller vibrochamps.

That is exactly in your price range and it has built in effects and models that should suit you pretty well. You can get a vibrochamp xd used for 150 bucks, or a brand new superchamp x2 for closer to 400.

But seriously, from what you described I'd say that the used vibrochamp would do everything you asked for.
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at Jun 17, 2015,
Peavey classic 30 used. You can probably get it for 3-400. this guy likes the Fender Mustang iii too.

I would also check out the fender blues jr and pro jr.

With effects, unless they come in the amp, I would recommend a wah, tubescreamer or other overdrives like the boss bd2, a tremolo, maybe a delay for slapback
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
Last edited by George Juggles at Jun 17, 2015,
This was my choice for home/practice use. It continues to exceed my expectations for blues and vintage classic rock tones. It is far less interesting as a hi gain metal shred rig but excels in classic Fender/Vox/Plexi tone. Worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGeWr6dHvFk
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 17, 2015,
fender blues jr NOS
or
mustang 2
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
PSA for the forum:
I've read a lot of claims that the 12ax7 tube on the SuperChamp is a phase-split only. It appears that one of the triodes is in fact used as a pre-amp.
http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachments/32956d1389721971-super-champ-x2-service-manual_02.jpg

Big deal, right? Well I'm just happy to have figured that out for my own benefit at least. I guess we're splitting hairs.
It does appear that both channels go through a number of solid state amplification stages, so I'm also happy to correct a misconception of mine. I had supposed that the first channel was essentially all tube. But no - it looks like it goes to a processor of some sort.

Anyways - the real reason I came here is to find out if anyone has actually tried one of those Blues Cubes? They seem too expensive for the OP and too expensive in general, but I'm interested in finding out if anyone has been able to make transistors distort in a pleasant way yet. I assume that someone will eventually figure it out.

@ the OP - The Blues Jr. and Classic 30 are great amps to look into but they're probably too loud for an apartment.
used marshall combo. i see them all the time.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I'm a marshall fan myself, but for blues kind of stuff check out fender. Go to a local guitar store and try out several amps. Take your guitar. As far as effects, your basic blues driver from Boss, or personally I like the Tube Screamer TS808, a phaser, maybe a delay, a wah. Options are endless, it depends on what you want. Try them out. You'll find you have the best answer because you know the sound you want to achieve.
he said classic rock though, for some reason when i think blues, hendrix always comes to mind or jack white... lol.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by paul.housley.7

I'm interested in finding out if anyone has been able to make transistors distort in a pleasant way yet. I assume that someone will eventually figure it out.

Gallien Kruger did way back with a solid state amp in the early 90s, it was shortlived, sold for about $800 and noone bought it. It sounded impressive from what I remember, top notch gear. Too bad at the time I had to have a Marshall logo on my amp.
Quote by paul.housley.7
They seem too expensive for the OP and too expensive in general, but I'm interested in finding out if anyone has been able to make transistors distort in a pleasant way yet. I assume that someone will eventually figure it out.
Peavey's Transtube stuff manages it. Money no object I'd get a Pritchard amp anyday.

OP might want to consider a Fender Vaporizer
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
Peavey's Transtube stuff manages it. Money no object I'd get a Pritchard amp anyday.

OP might want to consider a Fender Vaporizer

Agreed, it does appear that Pritchard has managed to wrangle the tone of a $800 tube amp out of solid state, and all for the low low price of $2500...

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Agreed, it does appear that Pritchard has managed to wrangle the tone of a $800 tube amp out of solid state, and all for the low low price of $2500...

Well if you Luddites weren't so obsessed with old hat technology then the price would come down
ZEN JUDDHISM
hybrid 6.0
Quote by The Judist
Well if you Luddites weren't so obsessed with old hat technology then the price would come down

I'll quit using tubes when you quit using the wheel...

New is not always better.
Charles Darwin
Quote by diabolical

That's because we didn't want to give up tubes
Such is the way of Luddites.
ZEN JUDDHISM
hybrid 6.0
Quote by The Judist
Such is the way of Luddites.

No, the luddites were protesting superior technology that threatened their livelihood.

We are using an old technology because the new technology isn't yet as good or as inexpensive. When it gets there (and admittedly it's close) tube amps will go the way of any obsolete technology, kept alive only for nostalgia. The new technology in this case only threatens the livelihood of the buggy whip makers.

I use both because I want technology to advance, but it's not there yet.
Charles Darwin
Fender Superchamp will do it in spades. Great amp, get a quality dirt box like a TS808 or a TS9 and maybe a BD-2 if you're looking to save money - Great mid range distos are all the rage in blues, that and excessive amounts of volume.

A used Tiny Terror combo will do all that and more - I saw a Vox Night Train head for 400 too, but you'd still need a speaker - depending on what you have, (monetarily and in equipment now) that's an issue.

Really, get the champ, it'll always be there when you need it, even after you buy your first Twin or JCM.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204