Afternoon all,

I’m new around here, my name’s Doug.

I’ve been playing since school, so 18 years ish, yet still, I’m a bit crap :p

My brother ‘acquired’ an old Epiphone Explorer Goth at Christmas time in pretty poor shape, and I’ve been working on it, fixing it up a bit, I’ll post a couple of pics if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I’ve been doing some wiring work in it, and after reading “Brian May’s Red Special”, decided to start again with it. It’s something I’ve never been that interested in, I’d pick up a guitar depending on what sort of noise I wanted, I’d play blues on my kid on Strat (Yamaha Pacifica 112, first electric), heavier stuff on my kid on Les Paul (Epiphone ‘Black Beauty&rsquo

I went slightly overboard with the pickups in the Explorer though, a set of SD Black Winters, so I’m interested in the idea of coil splitting and phase switching, make it a bit more versatile.

The wiring diagrams that came with the pickups is a bit useless, tape these 2 other wires together and tuck them out the way, unless you want to coil split/phase switch.

I’ve not been able to find much on their website either, tbh though, although I’ve just found the Essential Links thread on here

Are there any particular ‘standard’ arrangements? I was proposing using one pushpull to switch the phase of the bridge humbucker, another to split the neck humbucker, as I don’t know if I’ll be bothered about splitting the bridge, I don’t know if I’d ever use it. Maybe another on the master tone as a kill.

Thanks in advance for any replies, thoughts, etc.
check out stew mac the have wiring kits already figured out or you can get the pots you need if they dont already have your specific push pull work great if your cavity is deep enough theres push pull with preamp built onto the pot
There's plenty on the Duncan site, just googling "Duncan wiring diagrams" brings you right there. Or on their front page click "support > wiring diagrams."
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
Guitarelectronics.com has plenty too, but you'll have to translate from the Duncan wiring code to the generic one used there.

No need to buy premade wiring kits, this stuff isn't exactly complicated and you'd have to wire the kits in anyway. I don't see any point in paying extra for that. Parts are cheap.
if he is trying to do phasing and it is not the way he wants it now the he has to have a switch to do what he wants and have options the kits are just an easy way for people who have never had to wire a setup. why just rewire to just have the option of still changing tone the switch will make it like he has two or three guitars. versatility
me I do my phasing with the cabinets but that takes some coinage that the hobby weekend player is just not willing to spend
A prewired phase switch? That's literally two wires. Why would you pay for that? You're halfway there already by just installing it.

And reversing the phase on a cabinet should not be expensive, unless you're talking about something else. Traditionally reversing speaker phase is a single cheap switch and a piece of wire.
yeah I agree don't bother with a pre-wired phase switch, it's one of the easiest things you'll ever do. I got 10 low end push pulls in this week for 20$ (USD). By the way use heat shrink tubing on the ends of the wires, its cheap and lasts longer than electric tape.

try this out and add it to your wiring
so this is for one pickup, say your bridge pickup

this wiring below has a hum cancelling coiltap , you cannot do both pickups like it though using one pot which kind of sucks but I like it a lot for clean channels.

"hot output = to the switch the pickup would go first
ground is the triangular one, ground it to the back of any pot.
from there standard explorer wiring

tin every lead / wire / contact and especially your soldering iron tip and take your time, i actually make templates when I'm bored to make wiring easier. 24 awg wire and CTS push pulls are a must, I'd copper shield the guitar too.

or try this for the ultimate in versatility , this i'd pay money for if i didn't solder hands down, no phase reversal but it can certainly be added.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jun 18, 2015,
he is wanting the option too make it humbucker a single coil and option to reverse polarity you can experiment with electromagnetic sound till you are blue in the face. pick whatever switch could be used in his setup he plays different music styleings and doesnt want to hassle picking up a different guitar to play one song in the setlist for that songs feel.
I am a pro musician that just had back surgery so i am bored just trying to help people tget the truth about their options
and on my cabinets i dont rewire them on the fly it is a switch the sound of aluminum cones gives me a punchy metallic sound and sansamp gives me just the right touch of distortion. all you have to do is hook up a stomp switch to the amp. The possibilities are endless. Just simply tuning down will make it sound like you have effects on. stomp box internals are so small now you can mod your guitar with 3 effect pedals and cut your setup time down and save on 1/4 patch cords that way there is more time for music.
learning a little about electrified music can go a long way. you now longer have to sound like the sound les paul thought was the best unless you just want to be a carbon copy
Quote by Roc8995
There's plenty on the Duncan site, just googling "Duncan wiring diagrams" brings you right there. Or on their front page click "support > wiring diagrams."
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
Guitarelectronics.com has plenty too, but you'll have to translate from the Duncan wiring code to the generic one used there.

No need to buy premade wiring kits, this stuff isn't exactly complicated and you'd have to wire the kits in anyway. I don't see any point in paying extra for that. Parts are cheap.

Ah,

I've just realised, I'd been looking through the "Humbucker" menu, and hadn't see the "Other Wiring Diagrams" Helpful, thanks.

I'm only really trying to figure out which colour is which so I can wire the push-pulls the way I want them, and if there are any sort of universally accepted orders, any particular reason I'd want to wire it one way over another, that I haven't thought of.
Quote by Tallwood13
yeah I agree don't bother with a pre-wired phase switch, it's one of the easiest things you'll ever do. I got 10 low end push pulls in this week for 20$ (USD). By the way use heat shrink tubing on the ends of the wires, its cheap and lasts longer than electric tape.

try this out and add it to your wiring
so this is for one pickup, say your bridge pickup

this wiring below has a hum cancelling coiltap , you cannot do both pickups like it though using one pot which kind of sucks but I like it a lot for clean channels.

"hot output = to the switch the pickup would go first
ground is the triangular one, ground it to the back of any pot.
from there standard explorer wiring

tin every lead / wire / contact and especially your soldering iron tip and take your time, i actually make templates when I'm bored to make wiring easier. 24 awg wire and CTS push pulls are a must, I'd copper shield the guitar too.

Picture

or try this for the ultimate in versatility , this i'd pay money for if i didn't solder hands down, no phase reversal but it can certainly be added.
Picture

Thanks for that, sitting looking at it across the room trying to work up the energy to go fetch the soldering iron from the garage and get stuck in.
Quote by doogz84
Ah,

I've just realised, I'd been looking through the "Humbucker" menu, and hadn't see the "Other Wiring Diagrams" Helpful, thanks.

I'm only really trying to figure out which colour is which so I can wire the push-pulls the way I want them, and if there are any sort of universally accepted orders, any particular reason I'd want to wire it one way over another, that I haven't thought of.

Ah, the "pickup color coding" option under the humbucker menu is what you want then.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes
Quote by milhouse666
he is wanting the option too make it humbucker a single coil and option to reverse polarity you can experiment with electromagnetic sound till you are blue in the face. pick whatever switch could be used in his setup he plays different music styleings and doesnt want to hassle picking up a different guitar to play one song in the setlist for that songs feel.

It's fun to have a versatile guitar.
My most versatile guitars are the Variax from Line 6. My most-used, currently, are two JTV89F that allow me to select either a pair of very nice magnetics to a piezo-based system that features around 25 different guitar/stringed instrument models built into the electronics. It also allows the opportunity to change to virtually any alternate tuning without touching the tuners or adjusting string tension.

stomp box internals are so small now you can mod your guitar with 3 effect pedals and cut your setup time down and save on 1/4 patch cords that way there is more time for music.

This is something that's been tried again and again over the past 40 years or so, what with Moog and others jumping into the fray. The Alesis X-guitar was a fairly recent example, with a ton of FX built into the guitar, and the Firebird X from Gibson has a bunch of switching that includes FX.

Unfortunately, none of these guitars has been particularly successful.

So far multi-FX and modelers have been FAR more successful, and eliminate setup and patch cords in the same way.