so my friend has a ESP LTD ST-203 and probably would sell it to me if i asked. I was looking into getting a fender Mexican. either way i was planning to replace pickups. how does a ESP campar to fender?
If you want a Fender style guitar, get a Fender ! The only companies that make better fender style guitars than fender are Musicman, Xotic etc - and those are very expensive. Anything below the $1500 mark you should just buy a Fender - they have great quality/price ratio. You'll be able to re-sell a fender much more easily than an ESP as well.
Quote by reverb66
If you want a Fender style guitar, get a Fender ! The only companies that make better fender style guitars than fender are Musicman, Xotic etc - and those are very expensive. Anything below the $1500 mark you should just buy a Fender - they have great quality/price ratio. You'll be able to re-sell a fender much more easily than an ESP as well.

False. There's a huge market for ESP. Plus there are way better quality guitars than fender in the 1500US range. And ESP make quality stuff.

OP, what do you play? I'd wait and expand my budget.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by brenton393
so my friend has a ESP LTD ST-203 and probably would sell it to me if i asked. I was looking into getting a fender Mexican. either way i was planning to replace pickups. how does a ESP campar to fender?

the whole thing depends on what exactly you want from a guitar. ESP/LTD makes good guitars that tend towards the metal end of things. fender is Fender so if you want tones along those lines then that may be the way to go.

reverb66 since when does Exotic make fender style guitars? Muisc Man doesn't really either i'm guessing you ment G & L.
An LTD-200 Series will arguably compare to higher end Squier-range. 300-400 euros new, last time I looked.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Depends. Blues/rock style, or metal. Fender can get some sick tones (Hendrix, SRV, etc.) But ESP-LTD are awesome as well. I have an LTD KH-602, and it sounds fantastic, but my fender strat is awesome as well. Obviously, it just depends on what you want, and budget. Both are great brands though.
He's not asking about the brands though... He's comparing an Ltd ST-203 (straight Strat-copy) to MIM Fenders.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
These are both good instruments for the money. The biggest difference is going to be the pickups and pots which inevitably make the guitars sound different. The other factor is resale—an MIM Fender will resell faster and for more money than a LTD. That said, if you can get a great deal on a LTD jump on it and save the rest of your money for pedals or an amp.
Quote by jpnyc
These are both good instruments for the money. The biggest difference is going to be the pickups and pots which inevitably make the guitars sound different. The other factor is resale—an MIM Fender will resell faster and for more money than a LTD. That said, if you can get a great deal on a LTD jump on it and save the rest of your money for pedals or an amp.

+1
The cheapest Fenders can sound amazing with a pickup change. ESP makes some quality stuff but the 12th fret marker kills it for me. I know that's superficial but it's just how I feel.
Quote by bluedrips777
The cheapest Fenders can sound amazing with a pickup change. ESP makes some quality stuff but the 12th fret marker kills it for me. I know that's superficial but it's just how I feel.

TOTALLY AGREE!!! Gosh I hate those. Why would you do do that as ESP? Put something cool there. Not a darn model name. It's also pretty lame because if you can't afford the higher stuff there's a low number lookin at you and everyone else. Which just seems lame to me. (As someone who is fairly poor.) I'd rather have a plain block. lol Or even a 2nd offset block on the bottom of the fretboard on those offset block inlayed neck.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
I actually like the model on the fret board, it makes it easy to identify when you are selling or buying. How many threads are there on the internet trying to identify guitar models because different models may have the same cosmetics but different woods or something that is hard to identify visually. Being a fan of Jacksons I know they have that issue, complicated further by minor spec changes within models from year to year.
The LTD neck should be a little less chunky, though still round. Not a D or anything. The LTD has a slightly carved neck heel, which makes it slightly more comfortable to play higher up.

I think a Fender will sound a bit better straight out of the box. MIM Fenders are perfectly fine to use and tons of people do use them stock and sound great. I think the LTD would leave a little to be desired sonically in comparison. Though both have room for improvement, of course.

It sounds like you can try them both, I'd just use your ears and your hands to decide.

Though as stated you'll have better resale with the Fender.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by reverb66

Agreed.
I borrowed the ESP and I like the feel and the fake worn look doesnt look that bad on this specific model (its black without the FR). One of my concerns is that the parts wont be as easy to interchange. like the bridge, and im not sure if the neck is interchangeable (I like the neck though). closest guitar shop that would hold any other strats is an hour or more away plus craigslist isnt looking so good in my area. I can get the ESP for about $250, but since i havent tried a fender MIM i havent pulled the trigger.
If modding is a primary concern, a Fender would be the safest bet you can take.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by brenton393
I can get the ESP for about $250, but since i havent tried a fender MIM i havent pulled the trigger.

If you’re patient you can get an MIM Fender for that. Just don’t get desperate and buy a 1990s MIM Fender.
Quote by jpnyc
If you’re patient you can get an MIM Fender for that. Just don’t get desperate and buy a 1990s MIM Fender.

my favorite MIM strats i have owned have been '95-'97. i have gone through a ton of MIM fenders, just getting them and selling them/trading them. '01-'06 were IMO the worst.

do you know what you are talking about half the time? seriously.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It wouldn't hurt to get it. I've had several MIM Fenders and I'm still liking what LTD is doing with their Fender style guitars. 7 months in and I'm still loving my Jim Root style LTD. They're most likely on-par with each other. Re-sell would be the issue like everyone else is saying. Unless someone is wanting an ESP Strat (like me) most of the time they're going to go for the Fender.