So basically I see a lot of exercises and guides on the net, but I am yet to come across a step by step guide to general overall provent in guitar playing. Do you guys know of any such books that cover the entire gamut of techniques in a systematic way?
not sure if you are confusing technique with theory. technique is how you play any of the given scales,chords etc. books can't really give you a very comprehensive look at that. sure they can explain how to finger tap (for example) but a few words and pix won't really teach you properly. you may be better off looking for videos as they can do a better job wiht tht aspect of playing.
Yeah, I started with books but the problem is you don't really know if you are doing it right or if it's just what seems right to you.
Screw a book. Go watch Rock Discipline by John Petrucci on YouTube. It's a whole DVD course thing but it can be found on YouTube (it's the video that's over an hour or two long). You learn some damn good stuff with that.
^I've been going through Rock Discipline actually, still on the warmup exercises, damn Petrucci's stuff is hard.

And to be specific, I'm not looking for explanations of technique, I think I phrased my question poorly, I guess I mean a book which guides you through exercises in a systematic manner, basically a book of exercises that would help me be a better player overall. Kind of like Rock Discipline actually, but with more exercises and stuff.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^I've been going through Rock Discipline actually, still on the warmup exercises, damn Petrucci's stuff is hard.

And to be specific, I'm not looking for explanations of technique, I think I phrased my question poorly, I guess I mean a book which guides you through exercises in a systematic manner, basically a book of exercises that would help me be a better player overall. Kind of like Rock Discipline actually, but with more exercises and stuff.

i think that guitar at this point is so varied that a book like that would be tough to write. back when i first started to play a book came out called The Heavy Guitar Bible that kinda did what you are talking about. of course that book is way outdated at this point (and only dealt with rock).