I used to gig with an Blues Deluxe, the original version, and my friend has an HRD. I'm wondering what are their similarities and differences, so I can help him sort out some suitable pickups. The BD was warm, and there wasn't much headroom on the clean channel, it just got more compressed if you wound up the volume. Very nice reverb though.

Thanks.
Pretty similar amps. I think the drive chnl on the BD was better. The HRD tried to be too many different amps and the drive channel lost some mojo. A TS9 solves that problem though. No reason to turn up the volume past 3.5 for most guitars. Just leave it there for awesome loud-ass clean tones and use pedals for dirt/OD.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
OK, thanks. That is pretty much what I had guessed. He uses clean + pedals AFAIK. He has decided to start playing electric slide. The name "Hounddog Taylor" was bandied about a lot. He is thinking about buying one of my guitars, which has a Lollar Chicago pickup. Claimed by Jason L to be just the thing for Hounddog's tone. It sounds like a P90 on steroids - hot and brash.