Quick question on Intonation.

If I strum the low E string and tune it properly. Then proceed to fret that E at the 12 fret should my guitar tuner still register an in tune E if Intonation is correct?

Is this a reliable way to check?

I don't have the ear yet for determining if it is in tune two octaves higher.
I play on a guitar with no name. I think I will call her Arcane.

Guitars

Arcane (My mystery 6 string HSS Strat type)

J. Reynolds (6 String SSS Strat type)

Amps

Axtron GA-10
Yes, that's a fine way to intonate. If you can't get a reliable match and you think you're adjusting correctly, make sure you:
Use the neck pickup with the tone know down, it lets the tuner track better
Have reasonably fresh strings, old ones can go false
Are re-tuning after adjusting the saddle
Have other strings muted
Have the trem stable and set up properly, if you have one

A good trick is to use the harmonic at the twelfth fret instead of the open string, you can probably hear more easily if it's in tune with the fretted note. And it's an octave up, not two
Thank you for your prompt reply. I thought something was off. Good to know it is a proper way check. Don't know where I got two octaves higher. To be honest I am not sure what an octave is yet. I need to study some music vocab.

Guitars

Amps

Axtron GA-10
I just checked the strings fretted at 12 and I am WAY off on all strings except for high e. So this means that if I fretted my say g string at the third fret the tuner would not pick up a b tone either because the Intonation is off am I correct?

Guitars

Amps

Axtron GA-10
In standard tuning, the 3rd fret G string is a Bb, but I know what you mean. Yes, it will be out of tune, but maybe not by much. Intonation problems are more obvious on the high frets. - If the nut is OK.

You can't get perfect intonation on an ordinary guitar, something will always be slightly off. It is in the nature of the instrument.

When you fret the 12th, is it sharp or flat compared with the open?
fretted at 12.....

low E is a Sharp D
A is flat b to sharp g
D is flat e
G is sharp e
B is sharp e
high e is a just slighty (+2) sharp e

I also apparently have a 24 fret neck. Not much is known about this guitar. It has no manufacturer mark. Strat style with two single coils and a humbucker at the bridge, one vol and two tone controls with a 5 way switch.

I hope this is not a case of a 24 fret neck on a 22 fret body.

If you click on my avatar it is the striped guitar in my profile there are a few pics there.

Guitars

Amps

Axtron GA-10
Last edited by panoussigabriel at Jun 19, 2015,
Always use new strings. Old strings go flat, wasting time to try and intonate with old ones. I've "fixed" the intonation on peoples' guitars plenty times by just putting on new strings.

Always remember, Sharp is too short. So if the 12th fret is sharp, you need to move the saddle away from the nut to make the string longer.

Low E is a sharp D - that means the E is flat. Shorten the string by moving the saddle toward the nut.

A is flat b to sharp g - Something wrong here. Probably changing fretting pressure. You should always get the same, either sharp or flat, not alternating between the two. Try it several times and get an average. Go from there...

D is flat e - E is above D so D is sharp.

And so forth.

I like the Snark tuners, they show you which way the string is going with the bars to one side. Many others have a needle that leans left for flat, right for sharp. Snark works the same, but with a display instead of an analog needle.

Always tune a string by going below the note you want and tuning up to it, never tune down and leave it there. Strings can bind in the nut or stretch and your tuning is gone. Tuning up to the note you want eliminates that.

I use the open string instead of harmonic, but both will work. The only tuner I've ever seen that didn't pick up a string well was my Qwik Tune, it had trouble with the low E string now and then, usually when it had a low battery. The best ones are the older Strobo Tuners, but those are way expensive...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
^^^^^But some of those results are wildly out, ie the B and G. I wonder if they are fretting out on a higher fret due to the action being too low.

Also, the 24-fret neck might be wrong for the neck pocket - that would make the high notes intonate flat. But that doesn't explain why the high E is almost right. I would have it looked at by a tech.
I am scratching my head on this one. I spent hours playing with string hieght intonation and tuning. I forgot to mention I recently changed the strings to 9s which i found I dislike so I am going to give a rest for a few days and then change my strings back to 10's and try it all again. Though I lowed my action and my relief went almost all away I have no fret buzz and scaling down I can hear all the distinct notes on each fretted string. I am a novice so maybe it is the pressure I am putting on the fretted string. All turnings were done with the guitar in my hand at playing position.

My worst fear is this is a 22 fret body on a 24 fret neck. This would be a nightmare no amount of tuning will fix that. Also my tremolo is missing the bar. It uses a bar that is smaller in diameter than the fender ones. Anyway the back of the bridge is not floating it is rested flat on the guitar body. Fender spec says it should have a 1/8 gap. That seems way too much as at this height the bridge becomes angled sharply. Typing this I am kinda figuring out that if the trem is off on these Intonation becomes a nightmare.

Guitars

Amps

Axtron GA-10
If you think the neck scale and body aren't the same simply take a tape measure and measure from the nut to the center of the 12th fret and double the number. This is you scale length. Then measure from the nut to the bridge. The center of the saddle adjustments should be very close to your scale length.
If you want accurate intonation use a strobe tuner. Chromatic tuners are off by cents, strobes are fractions of a cent.
If you have an IPhone the Peterson app is $9.99
Moving on.....
from the top of the nut to the center of the 12 fret (between frets 11 and 12) is 12.5 inches.

From the top of the nut to the top of the saddle is 25.75 inches.

When you say middle of twelfth fret not sure if you mean past the twelth fret if so those measurements are...

from the top of the nut to the center of the 12 fret (between frets 12 and 13) is 13.25 inches. and again

From the top of the nut to the top of the saddle is 25.75 inches.

not sure if this is right. as 12.5*2= 25 (scale length?) as in measurement one.

or 13.25*2 = 26.5 (scale length?) as in measurement two (ie between frets 12 and 13).

please help me out on this one. I am lost.

Guitars

Amps

Axtron GA-10
I think I have it now.

From the bottom of the nut to the 12th fret (the actual 12th fret bar not between were your fingers would go while playing) is 12.75.

From that 12th fret (again the actual fret) to the top of the saddle where the string enters the saddle is 12.75.

so 12.75 + 12.75 = 25.5 scale length. Which if I am right would mean this (24 fret) neck belongs on this body.

Guitars

Amps

Axtron GA-10
^^ Yep.
Now are the strings new? Always intonate with new strings. With a strobe tuner you'll get much more accurate adjustment on your intonation. Cheapy chromatics are fine for simple tuning but nowhere near as accurate as a strobe. I have a strobe tuner and the Peterson Strobe app for the IPhone.
I also trust this is a fixed bridge instrument and not a tremolo. If it is a tremolo bridge then it's important it's laying flat (level) so the saddles are in their expected position (tilted bridge will change the string length).
Moving on.....
The strings are new. My tremolo bridge is laying flat against the guitar body. The springs pull is stronger than string pull. Wonder if this is causing issues wit the intonation.

Guitars

Amps

Axtron GA-10