i am looking for something new again. i am looking for something reasonable, i don't want to spend over a grand, and i will ONLY buy USED. i want another high gain amp, i am not worried about cleans, i have a few thoughts, but nothing for sure. i do gig, but i am not worried about it with this amp, i have a decent stable of amps.

to clarify, i want a used amp, around/under $1000, modern metal, no specific target tone. i don't need to gig with this amp, but all the better if i can. this is a couple of months out, i just want to see what is out there.

here is what i am thinking so far:

5150/6505/5150II/6505+ head

a Krank rev+ or krankenstein+ (not a minihead)

a mesa MKIII of some form (i know, not as modern and i have a MKIV)

maybe rivera? (i don't know a ton about them but i have liked what i heard)

a mesa stiletto deuce (i like rec's have a tremoverb and like the idea of EL34's)

a peavey 6534+ (like the idea of EL34's, but haven't tried one)

here is what i have ATM for high gain:

Mesa tremoverb
Mesa MKIV
Splawn Promod (KT88)
Splawn Nitro (KT88)
Orange Rockerverb MKI 50 (yummy)
Orange Dual Terror
Fryette Sig:X
and some others, these are metal front runners, i do have a variety of more tradition amps as well.

I KNOW there are better amps out there for more money, but i really DO NOT want to spend that much, i am not selling any of the amps that i own, just looking for fun. again this is a few months out, i am just looking for ideas and brainstorming.

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Man, you need an RM100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Man, you need an RM100.

yea it would be a way to go, and they definietly seem to be neat amps, but its not really what i am looking for. i now have the space for whole heads, and i am just going to keep going. i have a lot of different amps, and if i was starting out, that would be one thing, but i have something like 15 tube amps (including the clones i have built, and two hybrid amps music man and ampeg). i am at a good spot and just want to keep on going. the most attractive feature of the RM's is the SLO mod, but i am not looking for a SLO type at the moment anyways.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Jaded Faith have just released a heap of new, cheaper modules ($165). Check their Facebook page.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Jaded Faith have just released a heap of new, cheaper modules ($165). Check their Facebook page.

i know it doesn't make sense, its just not what i am looking for at the moment. i have the luxury of space and plenty of cabs, so i will just do that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
With the way you go through amps, it just seems like it was made with you in mind.

These are the new JF ones:
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Other than the Krank, I have/had the amps you listed.

Everyone needs a 5150. If you want your first Rivera, go with the Knucklehead Tre Reverb 100 or KR100, stunning Clean to more Gain than you'll usually need. I found the Royal Atlantic RA100 >>> Stiletto (Deuce or Trident) for Mesa's attempt at a Brit sound, nice snarl all the way to thick/punch in the guts. Another bargain you need to check out is the Laney VH100R.
Last edited by Ippon at Jun 19, 2015,
no interest in an engl fireball?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
My first ever tube amp was a 5150 - old one from the 90's, the post is probably still up here, when I bought it like 5 years ago. I think they just flat out freaking rock. If you live in the greater DMV area they have a 5150 Combo at Atomic Music in Beltsville, MD. Id bet you could walk out with it for about 700. maybe less, the y wheel and deal.

I miss that amp everyday. Long story on why I had to get rid of it. Really kick ass amp. Mesa Mk series are bad ass, they do it all, really, but for me, they've always had WAY too much goin' on on the face, buttons swiches, etc. hell, the Dual Rectos have a six button foot switch - that and your board and your gigging like a drummer. But like you said, you may not be gigging.... so keep that in mind, all my decisions are made around the stage these days.

man I miss that 5150.....
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Engl Savage comes to mind. You sometimes see them on the high range of your budget.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
My first ever tube amp was a 5150 - old one from the 90's, the post is probably still up here, when I bought it like 5 years ago. I think they just flat out freaking rock. If you live in the greater DMV area they have a 5150 Combo at Atomic Music in Beltsville, MD. Id bet you could walk out with it for about 700. maybe less, the y wheel and deal.

I miss that amp everyday. Long story on why I had to get rid of it. Really kick ass amp. Mesa Mk series are bad ass, they do it all, really, but for me, they've always had WAY too much goin' on on the face, buttons swiches, etc. hell, the Dual Rectos have a six button foot switch - that and your board and your gigging like a drummer. But like you said, you may not be gigging.... so keep that in mind, all my decisions are made around the stage these days.

man I miss that 5150.....

To clarify i do gig on occasion, I have plenty of amps to gig with, this amp doesn't need to be giggable, but if it can, itd great. I am able to play as loud as i want at my house, so its not a big deal.

I do think i need to add a 5150 to add to my studio. I do like them but I find them generic because there are so common.

I will look into engl more I sometimes forget about them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Peavey JSX or the newer XXX. 3 channels, active EQ. all around useful amp. can be had well within your budget (and leave some cash for a pedal)
I'm gonna have to go with Cath a bit biased myself but RM100 isn't just some gimmick amp it truley is a high end rig. Plus why one new amp when you can have 3 with your choice of power tubes.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
What he really needs is an RM1250.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Wish trash was close enough to give my RM a good run might change his mind. But the Engl's mentioned are sweet buddy just grabbed a Savage beast of a amp. Also worth looking out for I've seen a few Bogner Uberschall's close to your top range.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by RJH11
Wish trash was close enough to give my RM a good run might change his mind. But the Engl's mentioned are sweet buddy just grabbed a Savage beast of a amp. Also worth looking out for I've seen a few Bogner Uberschall's close to your top range.

I think TS wants it under or around $1000. Ive personally never seen an engl savage or uberschall at 1000, but idk.

My recommendations are 6505+, engl fireball (might be able to snag the new version if youre lucky), engl powerball (the original v1/2 pops up around $1000 often and its a great amp), or maybe try a Bugera 6262 (i just got one, it kicks ass.. Plus you can swap between el34 or 6l6 whenever you want)
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

^ Have some desperate people on craigslist from time to time buddy just grabbed a Savage for 1100 USD. Edit. Egnator Vengeance are pretty nice right in your price range.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Last edited by RJH11 at Jun 20, 2015,
Quote by Watterboy
I think TS wants it under or around $1000. Ive personally never seen an engl savage or uberschall at 1000, but idk.

My recommendations are 6505+, engl fireball (might be able to snag the new version if youre lucky), engl powerball (the original v1/2 pops up around $1000 often and its a great amp), or maybe try a Bugera 6262 (i just got one, it kicks ass.. Plus you can swap between el34 or 6l6 whenever you want)

i actually tried an uberschall and i was rather disappointed, it didn't live up to the hype. i messed around with it for 45 mins at gc into a mesa cab, and it left me wanting. it was a good amp, but i just expected amazing judging by what people say.

i will look into ENGL, to aid in research, what is different on the different powerballs and the fireball, i haven't looked yet, but i will in a little bit. i have only played one or two engls, don't remember what though, it was a while ago.

i think a 5150/etc. will come one of these days for sure. if i find one for the right place for the right price at the right time. i want one, but i don't catch the buzz off of them as much as other amps. they are definitely unique though. and i do need one.

i am going to pass on bugera, not being a snob, just i don't want to deal with it. if i go 5150, i think i would only get the block letter.

as far as the $1000 budget, i just like being happy with quite a few very nice amps that i can enjoy, and have several over a really high end amp, its just preference. i know the law of diminishing returns applies, and i find that $1000 used is a good spot for me.

thanks, will check out more.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by RJH11
^ Have some desperate people on craigslist from time to time buddy just grabbed a Savage for 1100 USD. Edit. Egnator Vengeance are pretty nice right in your price range.

i would never buy another egnater, owned a tweaker, rebel, and renegade, and they were all way over-hyped amps and were full of gimmicks.

i would like a savage though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
IPPON! could you give me a rundown on the TA and the stiletto duce/trident? i haven't found any great comparisons. and as far as price goes, i can find stiletto's for under $900 and no TA's under $1300ish. thats a decent size gap. (hell thats half of a 5150 which is the way i think).

do you have any stiletto clips?

________

EDIT: here is the clip i like most of the stiletto deuce, i realize that it is processed a little, but i really dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtvoUsRBuYE
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jun 20, 2015,
Sorry, no clips (311 has been on my case) because I can't start with that potential money pit.

I love Mesas, my first amp was a LoneStar; however, I couldn't bond with the Stilettos, and I can usually find something nice in most amps. The TAs are nice, too; but, its big brother, RA 100 is so much better. Up until a few months ago, some GCs were selling their remaining stock for $1100, new, the close-out price. I see used ones in CL for 1100, mostly up and down the Left Coast.

Also look for the 6505 head, gotten 2 from GC Used for 500. I found its gain better than the + model.

As far as the Bogner, the Uberschall Twin Jet >>> the Uberschall. I bought a minty TJ with a White head shell for 1500.

Also, consider the Soldano Avenger, the 1-channel version of the SLO circuit. I see them from 1000-1100 regularly.

Other than the ENGL SE E 670, I haven't really spent enough time with the other models and their pricing. That amp was a beast and even more versatile than the RoadKing II.

Good luck!
Quote by Ippon
Sorry, no clips (311 has been on my case) because I can't start with that potential money pit.

I love Mesas, my first amp was a LoneStar; however, I couldn't bond with the Stilettos, and I can usually find something nice in most amps. The TAs are nice, too; but, its big brother, RA 100 is so much better. Up until a few months ago, some GCs were selling their remaining stock for $1100, new, the close-out price. I see used ones in CL for 1100, mostly up and down the Left Coast.

Also look for the 6505 head, gotten 2 from GC Used for 500. I found its gain better than the + model.

As far as the Bogner, the Uberschall Twin Jet >>> the Uberschall. I bought a minty TJ with a White head shell for 1500.

Also, consider the Soldano Avenger, the 1-channel version of the SLO circuit. I see them from 1000-1100 regularly.

Other than the ENGL SE E 670, I haven't really spent enough time with the other models and their pricing. That amp was a beast and even more versatile than the RoadKing II.

Good luck!

hmmmm. i think i tried the twin jet, that is the model with two high gain channels, right? IIRC that was the one i played.

the avenger is a good idea, i don't have anything near soldano voiced.

could you describe the difference between the RA and the stiletto? i am not finding many decent demo's of the stiletto, but i like what i have seen. BUT if i can pick up a RA in the price range, i trust you and i would go for it.

i do want to pick up a 6505 but i am just not sure when. i had one for a little while, i had it for a week or two and resold it. i should have kept it, but at least i made some money off of it.

right now as i think, i have it down to three or four solid, and a few in limbo.

Mesa Stiletto Deuce/Trident (need to learn more, if i see one for a steal, its mine)
Mesa Royal Atlantic (really seems like a winner if i can find one for a good price)
Soldano Avenger (good, i don't have anything similar)
6505 (on the cheap if i want to pick up something soon)
Krank Rev+ or K-Stein+ (in last ATM, but i have liked the onces i played)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would never buy another egnater, owned a tweaker, rebel, and renegade, and they were all way over-hyped amps and were full of gimmicks.

i would like a savage though.

Pffft, unless you only have $300-$500 to spend. Then the Rebel is a sweet, growling, tone machine you can use anywhere, with any cab, for any genre.

I would think you should pocket the money, wait til you come across an amp you damn well know you love and are thrilled to add to your collection. Let the amp find you this time.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jun 20, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i will look into ENGL, to aid in research, what is different on the different powerballs and the fireball, i haven't looked yet, but i will in a little bit. i have only played one or two engls, don't remember what though, it was a while ago.

as far as the $1000 budget, i just like being happy with quite a few very nice amps that i can enjoy, and have several over a really high end amp, its just preference. i know the law of diminishing returns applies, and i find that $1000 used is a good spot for me.

thanks, will check out more.

Most people say that the Engl Fireball has a darker, more low mid and better sounding lead channel than the Powerball. I cant really say that I agree though (although the fireball 100 does sound GREAT; it smoked a PRS Archon sitting nearby). I played the Fireball 100 for about an hour at a store, then ran home and played my Powerball v1 and was able to get practically the same tone. So, in my opinion, the only real difference between the FB and PB is that the Fireball is a more affordable, stripped down, great sounding clean and lead channel amp. Powerball just has more options / modes but can get a very similar / same tone but costs more. If you could afford the Powerball II then thats your best bet of that range of Engls- the four gain knobs should have been included with the original, plus the footswitchable fx loop. Well, good luck
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I'm personally looking at the rm100 more and more. Sell an Ampeg and Agile, RM100?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."