Hey guys! I need your help, i want to buy a new guitar (my second) and i saved up to spend around 1.5 to 2k €.
So on the PRS side, i chose the S2 Custom 24:

For the last months i was sure that this would be my future guitar. Yesterday i was browsing through some guitar retailers and i found this beauty:

It's an Ibanez S5521Q - WPB
The PRS is around 1.8 and the Ibanez 1.6€
I really cant decide which one to pick. The Ibanez has such a stunning top.
But maybe the overall quality and the feel is better with the PRS.
My lokal Music Store doesn't have both guitars so i can't try them out.
My first Guitar was an Ibanez RG so i should be familiar with the neck shape.
Does anyone of you own an Ibanez Prestige Series Guitar?
I hope you can help me
If you're going to drop that much on a guitar without playing it first, VERY THOROUGHLY check the returns policy.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Good call, I have 30 days to send it back if i am not completely satisfied.
I have played on a Custom 22 before and it felt great. I think it's the same shape.. From the looks i would choose the Ibanez
I prefer PRS over Ibanez, but when dropping that much money try first or like said above make sure the store has a good return policy.

I have an old PRS CE22 and an Ibanez JS1000 and the Ibanez has been in its case for over 5 years now if that says anything
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 19, 2015,
Tough Choice, I have an Ibanez S1520(a Prestige model from 1999) and a 2015 PRS Custom 24, I love them both and right now still give the S1520 a slight edge because it really just plays and sounds great. I do have to mention that I changed the Pups in my Ibanez to the Dimarzio PAF Pro and Fred, which you may want to factor in to your purchase, you'll probably want to replace the PUPS in t the Ibby. Don't know about the pups in the PRS, love the pups on my custom. They sound fantastic, will not change those.
Yes i've read some bad things about the v7 and v8 pickups from Ibanez but that's no big deal imo.. I can just replace those. Thanks for your comments i think i have to get the Ibanez. It's such a beauty :p
i would go for the prestige. i have three and love them, they are not going anywhere.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Prestige!
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Well, an Ibanez RG is likely to have a super-thin necks, PRS necks are more of a medium thickness I think, so that's going to be a difference. I think in this price range both companies have a very good QC record, so either will most likely be great.

Although the main problem with Ibanez I usually have is that they have guitars which are very nice but I can always find something which is more awesome in the same price range, and here we go again with this PRS.
Going to have to echo the choir and say go for the Prestige. I've got a Prestige 2550 and it's the best guitar I've ever played. BTW when you do go for pickups, I highly recommend Dimarzio True Velvet for the middle no matter what others you use (I have evolutions). Awesome high-output but strat sounding pickup that balances with anything.
thanks for the hint but the prestige i want doesn't have a middle pickup, just 2 humbuckers.
And also can someone explain to me what the 5way switch does with only 2 humbuckers? i don't get it haha
Quote by rafi.bit
thanks for the hint but the prestige i want doesn't have a middle pickup, just 2 humbuckers.
And also can someone explain to me what the 5way switch does with only 2 humbuckers? i don't get it haha

A coil tap of some form. Here's a picture of it!

This ^ is for Dimarzios, but according to the Ibanez site, that pickup pattern is correct for the S5521Q. Idk about the pots and whatnot though.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Last edited by GraceByDeath at Jun 22, 2015,
Ibanez RGs have a modern flat neck which apparently you seem to like, but I'm not a fan of. I've never picked up a PRS but I'm pretty sure they have more of a standard C shape neck. See below:

Regardless, they should both have a good build quality, and for me, the feel of the neck would be the biggest decider. PRS guitars also have a shorter scale length (25" vs 25.5").
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Tommorow i will go to my local music store. They might have PRS and Ibanez Guitars with a similar neck shape so i can get a feel of them.
Thanks a lot guys for your help! Once i have my future guitar i will post some Pictures and maybe a little demo
If I'd spend 1.5-2k Euro, I would certainly NOT be looking at PRS nor Ibanez. Europe makes some of the best (if not THE best) electric guitars on the planet. I'd look second hand for Mayones, Blackat, Skervesen, Vigier, Hapas, ...
The problem with EU economy laws and imported guitars is that we pay way too much import fees. The guitars you're looking at are worth 1000-1200€ at most. If you buy European made guitars, you DON'T have to pay import fees, taxes and customs fees. You will have a MUCH nicer guitar for your money.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
You made me so uncertain haha alright so i looked into some European Guitar Brands you guys mentioned and i really like the Mayones ones. especially the Setius GTM 6. Are you sure that this would be the "better" guitar choice in terms of quality etc. ? That Guitar would be around 1.700€
Last edited by rafi.bit at Jun 23, 2015,
In my opinion, yes, it's much better than lets say a PRS S2. And if you want to look second hand, you could score even better guitars, like a Mayones Duvell, Skervesen raptor, Blackat Leon/ninja,...
Hell, I bought my stunning Hufschmid H6 second hand for 1500€ and I have to admit it's the best guitar I ever laid my hands on (I prefer it over the blackmachine B6 a friend of mine owns). http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/LP_CL/pictures/gear/1129731/1129732
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Jun 24, 2015,
Quote by LP_CL
In my opinion, yes, it's much better than lets say a PRS S2. And if you want to look second hand, you could score even better guitars, like a Mayones Duvell, Skervesen raptor, Blackat Leon/ninja,...
Hell, I bought my stunning Hufschmid H6 second hand for 1500€ and I have to admit it's the best guitar I ever laid my hands on (I prefer it over the blackmachine B6 a friend of mine owns). http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/LP_CL/pictures/gear/1129731/1129732

Oh my. I'm too more attracted to that guitar than I should be...That top is incredible!
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Today i tried a Mayones Duvell Standard and im completely sold. I tested it for around 1 hour, it was so hard to stop playing haha Incredible Guitar
I also tried a PRS S2 Custom 24, the neck was a little bit too fat and the gloss finish on the neck wasn't my thing. Still also a great guitar for sure. Thank you so much for your advices guys you helped me a lot!
The Ibanez S guitars are EXTREMELY comfortable and light. THe $400 baseline I have is an absolutely incredible guitar for the money, I gave up on my $1700 Fender because this one just plays so much better.

But with that budget, imho do yourself a huge favor and get a carvin custom shop.
Quote by rafi.bit
Today i tried a Mayones Duvell Standard and im completely sold. I tested it for around 1 hour, it was so hard to stop playing haha Incredible Guitar
I also tried a PRS S2 Custom 24, the neck was a little bit too fat and the gloss finish on the neck wasn't my thing. Still also a great guitar for sure. Thank you so much for your advices guys you helped me a lot!

I'm glad I could point you out something you enjoyed
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by GraceByDeath
Oh my. I'm too more attracted to that guitar than I should be...That top is incredible!

Thx man. FYI it's myrtlewood
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl