Hi all,

Just a quick question about how ADAT works. I read somewhere that ADAT can send up to 8 channels, is this correct?

The idea I had was to use my Digi002 interface to link to my Mac, plug in a Presonus Scarlett 18i20 in to that via ADAT (which should be no problem, right?) but then also plug a mic preamp into the focusrite via ADAT and record all 20 channels through the 002, but if I'm right in saying that ADAT can only send up to 8 channels, this wouldn't be possible would it?

Thanks for any help guys!
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
Hi all,

Just a quick question about how ADAT works. I read somewhere that ADAT can send up to 8 channels, is this correct?

The idea I had was to use my Digi002 interface to link to my Mac, plug in a Presonus Scarlett 18i20 in to that via ADAT (which should be no problem, right?) but then also plug a mic preamp into the focusrite via ADAT and record all 20 channels through the 002, but if I'm right in saying that ADAT can only send up to 8 channels, this wouldn't be possible would it?

Thanks for any help guys!

Pretty sure the converters and clock on the Scarlett are actually better than whatever is inside the 002, so I would use the Scarlett as the master if possible.

What do you need the 002 for? Do you NEED its preamps, or were you just thinking it was a necessary centerpiece? Or are you chained to it for Pro Tools?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I would agree with using the scarlett as master unit, tho the DA on the 002 is a lot better than the DA on the scarlett.

Using ADAT lightpipe type II you'll be able to transmit up to 8ch of 24/48 audio per channel, unidirectional.
Or 4ch of 24/96 per ch, or 2ch of 24/192 per ch, all unidirectional.

I'm pretty sure the 18i20 uses the lightpipe type II, but I don't have a clue about the 002.
If the 002 uses type I, then it'll only be able to send and receive 16bit audio.

Good questions asked by Scott, knowing the answers would help.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
no particular reason for the 002 other than the fact I have it and it'd give me more inputs!

I'm eventually going to replace the Mac for a decent PC anyways, but I could still use the focusrite and a preamp to record and not use the 002, it's simply the fact I have it!

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
no particular reason for the 002 other than the fact I have it and it'd give me more inputs!

I'm eventually going to replace the Mac for a decent PC anyways, but I could still use the focusrite and a preamp to record and not use the 002, it's simply the fact I have it!

I would keep the 002 away from your chain until you NEED the inputs, otherwise it'll hold you back in terms of quality. Just my 2c

edit: another idea that just struck me...if you're into the idea, you could sell the 002 while it's still worth anything and use that money to buy yourself a nice preamp strip like a focusrite octopre.
edit2: I see you don't own the other gear yet, so scratch that.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jun 19, 2015,
Quote by Sid McCall
I would keep the 002 away from your chain until you NEED the inputs, otherwise it'll hold you back in terms of quality. Just my 2c

fair enough, I think that's the way to go really! the Digi002 is only there for now until I can buy the 18i20 and another preamp!

cheers guys, appreciate the thoughts!

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
fair enough, I think that's the way to go really! the Digi002 is only there for now until I can buy the 18i20 and another preamp!

cheers guys, appreciate the thoughts!

No problem!

FYI, to answer more of your initial question, if it's a *single* preamp, you're better off using a 1/4" cable to insert it into a non-amplified input on the back of the scarlett instead of using another ADAT cable - only use the ADAT cable if you're using something like a strip of preamps that you couldn't otherwise connect directly to the scarlett.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
No problem!

FYI, to answer more of your initial question, if it's a *single* preamp, you're better off using a 1/4" cable to insert it into a non-amplified input on the back of the scarlett instead of using another ADAT cable - only use the ADAT cable if you're using something like a strip of preamps that you couldn't otherwise connect directly to the scarlett.

yeah the preamp I'm thinking of is an 8 input preamp, so I'll be recording 16 inputs with the Scarlett and a preamp.

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Some interfaces may allow you to connect 16 channels via ADAT but they will have two sets of inputs and outputs on the back.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com