I'm planning to mod my ltd ed epi sg (check my profile for the pic) but first i wanted to stop by and get some tips

the mods im planning to do:
- blank trussrod cover
- white/cream switch tip
- witch hats knobs
- allparts jack and toggle
- cts 500k pots
- roller bridge? new tailpiece?
- alnico 2 bridge humbucker (any suggestions im currently really liking the mojotone classic)
- alnico 4 neck minihum (any suggestions im currently really liking the mojoton classic minihum)
- new pickguard for the minihum or conversion ring?
- tusq nut
- if its easy enough i want to redo the headstock logo with a custom one
- tulip tuner buttons??? can you just screw off the grover ones and screw on the new ones or is it more complicated?

it would kinda look like this: http://imageshack.com/a/img913/936/fJFGpJ.jpg

Im not selling the guitar...

i dont really wanna buy a gibson because the epi has a really good construction (custom shop factory for higher end models) and it has a 2 piece body and 2 piece neck (headstock and neck). I havent encountered any flaws with the electronics and hardware yet but apparently people dont like em.

any ideas ladies and gents?
Quote by arjan2602
I'm planning to mod my ltd ed epi sg (check my profile for the pic) but first i wanted to stop by and get some tips

the mods im planning to do:
- blank trussrod cover
- white/cream switch tip
- witch hats knobs
- allparts jack and toggle
- cts 500k pots
- roller bridge? new tailpiece?
- alnico 2 bridge humbucker (any suggestions im currently really liking the mojotone classic)
- alnico 4 neck minihum (any suggestions im currently really liking the mojoton classic minihum)
- new pickguard for the minihum or conversion ring?
- tusq nut
- if its easy enough i want to redo the headstock logo with a custom one
- tulip tuner buttons??? can you just screw off the grover ones and screw on the new ones or is it more complicated?

it would kinda look like this: http://imageshack.com/a/img913/936/fJFGpJ.jpg

Im not selling the guitar...

i dont really wanna buy a gibson because the epi has a really good construction (custom shop factory for higher end models) and it has a 2 piece body and 2 piece neck (headstock and neck). I havent encountered any flaws with the electronics and hardware yet but apparently people dont like em.

any ideas ladies and gents?

-headstock logo. gonna need to see a luthier on this one if you want quality. takes skills. foil or inlay the head plate will need to be refinished. if this were on my bench for inlay i would charge you $250 to $300 (i'm expensive) for labor plus materials. a little bit cheaper for foil and it'll have to be acrylic inlay. i won't touch abalone or ablam.

-witch hats. og's will run you about $40 to $50 each at auction, if you're lucky. have fun finding a set of four. ebay knock offs are out there though but you're rolling the dice on quality and fit. i restored a 71 lp custom back in the early 90's and it took 3 months to track down just 2 originals plus two months more to score the rest. back then i paid $25 to $30 for each. they were nos and i "broke them in" to match the rest of the guitars age.

-tuners. basically if it has a screw on the end of it something somewhere will fit it. molded plastic though you'll have to heat off carefully.

-all of that other stuff is do able, for a price. i would suggest a custom pickguard for odd sized pu's. ime it just looks better that way.

-begin can opening of worms: with all of these upgrades you're basically going to be putting in gibson level money into a epi. i can't say that i've ever heard an epi sound better then it's gibson brother. upgrades or not. it's just economics. gibson will never release an epi that will outshine it's gibson reputation and epi's are just made with cheaper stuff -and made elsewhere. about the only epi that i really liked was a ltd korina explorer and thunderhorse isn't so bad either -a little muddy though but they're not gibsons. you can do whatever you want -that's ok too.
Last edited by ad_works at Jun 19, 2015,
the fact you didn't buy a gibson I shall take some time out of my day and give you some insight.

white knobs similar to that of an SG exist which is cool , but those knobs in the photo are easily found on ebay the knock offs look almost identical too.

avoid allparts like the plague , they are really overpriced, a lot of their stuff can be purchased on ebay and the only justification you get buying from them is avoiding some hassle purchasing from a seller in china who hardly speaks english and avoiding a 2-4 week wait. I love how they recently changed the policy to make it easier to get refunds this year though as I'm close to my 1000th star.

switchcraft for the input jack and CRL for a quality 3 way toggle

there should be 500k pots in the guitar but if you want quality ones CTS for the pots , A500k for the volumes , B500k for the tone as we know , as i always say on here I like B500k for everything. But that is personal preference. Push pulls CTS makes are great too , just make sure to get the right type to work with your knobs and if it has enough shaft height to go through the guitar. with CTS pots the shafts are wider so you may have to widen the holes

a roller bridge is an excellent idea, the schaller ones are really good. the import ones there is two kinds out there so make sure you get the right kind the only difference is type of studs to mount the bridge to the body as we know. I've sold about 20-30 of them. The cheap import ones that are like 8$ are really nice and weigh about that of a Sung Il one and come in many colors, with the cheap ones use WD-40 or a lubricant to get the little rollers to move is what one guitar tech friend of mine observed recently. Tonepros make a magnetic bridge too I'd consider.

tailpiece is a tailpiece to me, you can get a certain kinds that fine tune but that is over kill in ways.

tulip buttons you can buy from Taiwan from a guitar parts seller, they can be made of wood or acylic off of ebay. I got some really cool grover tuner knobs for this ugly black and white les paul i put together. To be fair it looked better than it sounded.

strings make a difference too i cannot stress this enough. this is the 3 common types, i'm not going to suggest brand to 'pick measure"
steel - bright , lots of treble
nickle plated steel - regular ernie balls or d'addario for example balanced
pure nickel - dark / warm . more mids and bass

my advice on pickups. I prefer ones without the covers and stupidly high output so if i decide to coilsplit / coiltap i get extra useable options instead of making a say seymour duncan 59 to get my point across which is really vintage output go parallel to about 2-3k is useless to me. My only advice for pickups is to get 4 wire pickups that you can get a color code. Besides that consult tone charts if you haven't , find what the guitar needs instead of say a 14 year old googling for the coolest named pickups or running to say dimarzio for a signature series set they think will transform a squier using no pedals or an amp with more than 11w into getting that ultra high gain shredding overprocessed machine

pickguards you can probably get a custom one made if you need, a lot of the import ones you see on ebay may require re-drilling but like you said you don't plan to sell the guitar so it can be a good thing as import companies have pickguards in 10-15 colors like IKNMusic and their strat pickguards.

as for wiring if you need a custom diagram let me know , I help out when I can with guys on here who have an idea or two they cannot google.

random yet useful suggestions
graphtech tusq or bone nut
copper shielding tape to make the guitar sound clearer
schaller strap locks to prevent the guitar from dropping
mallory or sprague 0.047uf capacitors , USSR surplus paper in oil capacitors are a favorite of mine but the shipping is insane.

1950s gibson wiring you'll appreciate too more than stock wiring because when you turn the volume down your guitar holds onto more of the highs, good tone 10-0 stewmacs video can show you the difference without going through the extra effort of making a basic RC circuit to add to your guitar. If you need the 50s diagram I can post it on here as I need an excuse to add it to my photobucket. But I'd honestly have fun and do a 2 band EQ or add something like a fender TBX (bass / treble cut)

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jun 19, 2015,
Thanks, i checked out a local store and they had a bunch of the aesthetics i would like for a low price (electronics + knobs etc were about 100&euro pickups would cost about 150-200€ and installing everything could be cheap cuz i now the local guitartech. I want dont want to spend too much on this project but still gig worthy. Ill buy a gibson (or any other mia) when ive got a bit more money (im only 17)
Tallwood thx man, im not a shredder in any way haha im a bluesguy (johnny winter, buddy guy and angus young are huge influences to me). I like the seymours but havent heard them IRL. I want a warm bridge tone to compensate the trebleness and a bright and tight neck. I thought getting a paf style minihum would sound great. Im most likely getting knockoff aestethics but good parts, cts pots, switchcraft jack and propably switchcraft/gibson toggle too because theyre easy to get. I agree on the tailpiece and i like the idea of a roller bridge although ive never experienced any problems with the current ons. Thanks again!