When it comes to distorted sound I nearly always use my own,sound inspired by oasis. So I had a gig last week and everything was alright. Today I finally picked up my guitar again. After tuning and plugging in my guitarguitar I entered my settings into my amp, then horror began. Instead of warm and crunchy the sound was mushy, dull and rumbly. Tone and volume knobs on my guitar were adjusted just like they should and so was everything else. I tried to fix it by turning up middle and treble, but middle didnt make a difference and treble just made it sound more squeaky and artificial. Turning up the gain added some pitch but twice as much mush. I thought it might be the guitar but the distortion sound on my effects pedal didnt sound different....
Did anyone here happen to face similiar problems? How can this be fixed?
Thanks in advantage and a good night!
Last edited by Submarines at Jun 19, 2015,
List your gear or we can't even begin to help you.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Put on a fresh set of guitar strings.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
wel the first thing is were you playing in the same place? setting that work with a band at a gig may not sound all that great by yourself in a different room. were you at the same volume as well?
Ah yes! My fault!
Amp: Laney Lv100 (transistor amp)
Guitar: J&D SH40 (some sort of Gibson ES-335 fake)
Effects pedal: Zoom G2
Strings: Ernie Ball rock n roll 0.10
I was playing at our practise room but the settings worked well there many times before. AND ITS NOT MY GUITAR! Just want to point that out since most people think its crap cos its really low-prized (less than 300&euro but everyone who hears it in action will be suprised by its powerful sound and sustain.
Just to be sure: are you getting the distortion from the amp or the pedal? If the pedal, what are you powering it with? My first idea is that distortion pedals start to sound bad when the battery is running out, and usually the sound is a total mush when it's a few minutes away from dying completely.

I'm pretty sure it's not the guitar either way, I don't see any other way a guitar could suddenly start sounding bad than active pickups with a dead battery (which is not the case here).
Last edited by TheLiberation at Jun 21, 2015,
I get the sound from the amp. The pedal is for fancy stuff like delay or phaser since the distortion it gives is in most cases too heavy for my needs.
Maybe you simply don't like your amp anymore?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Dont think so. But maybe its the other way round and it doesnt like me anymore...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Maybe you simply don't like your amp anymore?

That doesn't happen overnight

OP, try new strings as Thunderpunk said or turn the amp up
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek

That doesn't happen overnight

OP, try new strings as Thunderpunk said or turn the amp up

Did for me
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by GABarrie
Did for me

Me too.

I like my Rebel but it gets old. Time for the RM100 me thinks.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Are your cables plugged in all the way to your guitar / pedal / amp? If the cable isnt pushed in all the way then you will lose all of your treble and upper mids on your signal and it will sound how you describe. Check the speaker cable too. Also, make sure youre playing your amp loud enough- on some amps if the volume is too low they will sound like mush. Verify that your zoom pedal is getting enough power, and that it isnt using any cab simulations or anything like that in the settings
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Start with plugging your guitar straight to the amp (no pedals, just guitar plugged straight to the amp). If it still doesn't work, try a different guitar and a different cable.

Does it sound normal on the clean channel?

Your amp has a "V" (scoop) switch and also a "VTS" switch. I'm not sure what the VTS switch does but I read that it's a "tone shaping" switch. So try turning them on and off. They may make a big difference, and it might be that you have turned one of them accidentally on/off. But I don't know, I haven't tried the amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I'm with Maggaramarine that you should start by plugging your guitar into your amp directly with nothing else plugged in and get the tone and volume you are use to. That's the best way to start looking at any problem. I often have to do this at gigs when we play an unfamiliar room. I will start by plugging everything in the way I usually do and if I find my sound has changed drastically I immediately unplug and go direct to the amp, reset my EQ and volume. Once my sound is OK there I then start adding my outboard pedals one at a time checking the sound until I locate the issue. It seems like that is time consuming to do at a gig but in my experience it takes less time to do it this way than start making little changes on everything hoping you stumble onto the problem. You usually just screw up setting on things that were not the problem to begin with and your night will suck as you have to keep tweaking things hoping to get the sound back to normal.

My pedals all have lines on them using magic markers so when I set up I can quickly check that they are set where I like them. I can hear the gasps of many on the forum here but I don't think of the equipment I use for gigs are museum pieces. I don't purposely misuse my gear but I don't think of them as having a resale value or being "classics" (even if they are or will be). I do it because that's what works for me. I can look down and see if my settings have changed easily.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jun 22, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
I'm with Maggaramarine that you should start by plugging your guitar into your amp directly with nothing else plugged in and get the tone and volume you are use to. That's the best way to start looking at any problem. I often have to do this at gigs when we play an unfamiliar room. I will start by plugging everything in the way I usually do and if I find my sound has changed drastically I immediately unplug and go direct to the amp, reset my EQ and volume. Once my sound is OK there I then start adding my outboard pedals one at a time checking the sound until I locate the issue. It seems like that is time consuming to do at a gig but in my experience it takes less time to do it this way than start making little changes on everything hoping you stumble onto the problem. You usually just screw up setting on things that were not the problem to begin with and your night will suck as you have to keep tweaking things hoping to get the sound back to normal.

My pedals all have lines on them using magic markers so when I set up I can quickly check that they are set where I like them. I can hear the gasps of many on the forum here but I don't think of the equipment I use for gigs are museum pieces. I don't purposely misuse my gear but I don't think of them as having a resale value or being "classics" (even if they are or will be). I do it because that's what works for me. I can look down and see if my settings have changed easily.

Some people just put a strip of masking tape under the knobs and then write on it
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals