Hi guys I'm thinking about buying a new guitar.

I currently have a Ej-200CE. I'll admit I bought this guitar in Australia when I was there because of its good looks but the sound isn't great ,kind of dull and muddy at times.

Would it be worth spending 1000 or would I need to spend more ? I'm not in a band but I'd like to have a really good guitar that's built well.

Any good flagship guitars I could try out that you could recommend?
Quote by LiamLp
Not too sure , can I check? Why so you ask?
You would have to check your serial for date of manufacture. Somewhere toward the end of 2011, they went to solid tops. The guitar is much improved tone wise.

The latest models are designated EJ-200-SCE (solid, cutaway-electronics). The E-200 all acoustic, designated, "Artist", are still laminated tops.

I have a couple of the new EJ solid tops. They are woofie, but don't lack highs, (at least IMHO).

Track down the serial #. If your guitar is solid top, maybe we can hook it upo with some 80/20, "brass" strings. If you're not using them already, that should net you some more high end.

Then we can discuss spending more money.
I go by this rule, if you have to ask, then you don't need it. I can play just fine on even very modest guitars. In fact, I'd say the important factors are more on just the guitar than the price, for example the shape of the neck.

When you grow to the level where you need an expensive guitar, you will know exactly what you are paying for.

Plus it is better to be a beast on a modest guitar, then modest on a beast guitar.
You can check by looking at the edge of the soundhole. - See if the grain lines run through the whole of its thickness of timber, or whether they cross like 3-ply. FWIW, my favourite fingerpicking guitar has a ply top, so it isn't always bad.

The main thing to remember is to listen, not look at the price tag. You can get good-sounding guitars in all price ranges, but you have to trust your ears. I like Taylors, not particularly because of their sound, but because they have very easily resettable necks, so there should never be an expensive problem with deteriorating action. - This is a risk in all price ranges, and the rate at which it happens is pretty much the luck of the draw. It is initially fixed by lowering the saddle, but when that runs out the neck is reset. This is expensive on most guitars, unless covered by an original-owners warranty, so choosing a Taylor, even if used, is a good hedge against this future expense. Some makes, such as Martin, offer lifetime warranties to the original owner, but these are the responsibility of the importer outside the US, so might not be worth the paper they are written on. If this doesn't convince you, at least choose a guitar that has a high neck angle, so that there is still plenty of saddle left when the action has been set low. At least then you have got something to work with if the guitar goes banana-shaped.