26 46%
Voters: 56.
Page 1 of 4
consider me untriggered
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
No idea what they are.

It would be nice to have trigger warnings in my HUD in Counter Strike so that I wouldn't suck so much.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If it keeps over-sensitive babies away from my enjoying off color comedy, sure. Why not?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
If it keeps over-sensitive babies away from my enjoying off color comedy, sure. Why not?
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by snipelfritz

it's so like you to bring color into it
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
for super serious shit on tv programs and stuff that will be obviously distressing for some people. Like a disclaimer at the start saying "this shit is very violent and may be distressing for some people"

but its becoming over used and has become a joke. you don't need a trigger warning for an opinion that goes against yours or something mundane because you want to feel special and important, because if that "triggers" you then you're an idiot and you're taking the piss out of people with real PTSD

i voted no because the concept of "trigger warnings" and that phrase has come from the people using it in the second paragraph
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Jun 19, 2015,
Quote by snipelfritz

"comedy"

lol

Don't trigger me!
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Off the internet, very much so. If treading thin ice it might just be understanding body language, or using more tactful wordchoice, or thinking before acting that its not even worth the mention/add-on in the conversation. Always keep safety on.
Winnie the Pooh and trigger too

No they're ghey.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I vote no. If you are easily offended by things, you should just keep off the internet/not watch TV/not interact with other people. Spend your time twiddling your thumbs and staring at walls instead.
I have nothing important to say
hopefully someone else in here understands that trigger warnings aren't for people being offended, but for people who don't want to relive awful experiences that they've had
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by JackSaints
I vote no. If you are easily offended by things, you should just keep off the internet/not watch TV/not interact with other people. Spend your time twiddling your thumbs and staring at walls instead.

Trigger warnings aren't meant to stave off offense, they're meant for panic attacks. Gruesome/violent imagery/topics that can simulate trauma. If it were just about avoiding a clash of opinion it would be silly.
i used to date my bff who was violently raped when she was 13 or 14 by a 23 year old man
my answer is yes. they've helped her and cost you only a second to skip over them
people who make jokes about trigger warnings are either coddled pathetic man children or edgy tryhards
i don't know why i feel so dry
three killer posts in a row

game over everyone
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Trigger warnings aren't meant to stave off offense, they're meant for panic attacks. Gruesome/violent imagery/topics that can simulate trauma. If it were just about avoiding a clash of opinion it would be silly.

Trigger warnings for serious stuff are fair enough, I guess.

But staring at walls and twiddling your thumbs is still a viable way of avoiding panic attacks and stuff (unless you suffered trauma as a result of twiddling thumbs/walls or something)
I have nothing important to say
Quote by MinterMan22
"comedy"

lol

Yeah lol
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

Well I learned something today.
Quote by snipelfritz
Well I learned something today.

You really didn't know that?
My God, it's full of stars!
I dunno. I suppose I did at one point. It's not really something that concerns me (not that that means I don't appreciate it).
I've known it but I'm just obtuse regarding other people's experiences.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by guitarxo
A very simple yes, please.

VERY simple, hmmmm, interesting
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
VERY simple, hmmmm, interesting

Well i suppose it's not VERY simple now that I edited my post. But I can't see why anyone would be against them unless they're jerks.
cat
Quote by Eastwinn
i used to date my bff who was violently raped when she was 13 or 14 by a 23 year old man
my answer is yes. they've helped her and cost you only a second to skip over them
people who make jokes about trigger warnings are either coddled pathetic man children or edgy tryhards

The flaw in trigger warnings is that the label can also be triggering. Anything that reminds the person of a previous assault and/or trauma can induce panic attacks/hysteria.

Sometimes, 'triggers' are good for the person, as it's part of an intensive exposure therapy. Sometimes, they need to be protected a little more, while they have the opportunity to emotionally cope with what has happened to them.

The problem lies when white knights try to give their opinions credence, based on what one person they know has experienced. And then proceed to label everyone who doesn't agree in a derogatory manner.

It differs from situation to situation. But the one thing that's sure is that this tumblr-esque interpretation is doing more harm than good.
Last edited by megano28 at Jun 19, 2015,
I've already been living with ESRB labels for all my life. It's not that much of an inconvenience
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by megano28
The flaw in trigger warnings is that the label can also triggering. Anything that reminds the person of a previous assault and/or trauma can induce panic attacks/hysteria.

Sometimes, 'triggers' are good for the person, as it's part of an intensive exposure therapy. Sometimes, they need to be protected a little more, while they have the opportunity to emotionally cope with what has happened to them.

The problem lies when white knights try to give their opinions credence, based on what one person they know has experienced. And then proceed to label everyone who doesn't agree in a derogatory manner.

It differs from situation to situation. But the one thing that's sure is that this tumblr-esque interpretation is doing more harm than good.

this is a good post

when my anxiety/panic attacks were real bad last year, a lot of stuff could set it off. Job stuff, stuff about dying and death, and other weird things. The worst was watching one of the Tim Burton films with my gf and just freaking out, and i don't mean feeling uncomfortable and not liking this, im talking actual panic attack, heart racing, feeling like i'm gunna explode level shit. It got to the point where i wasn't reading my books, or doing anything that might set me off, but that wasn't good for me as it just made it worse. The more you isolate yourself, the worse it all gets. So I had to work out a way of calming down and rationalising things, and dealing with it as its a part of life and I won't be able to avoid it forever

However, I'm not talking about rape or anything overly traumatic. My shit was about the future and death mainly. I fully understand the need for actual warnings for PTSD and real trauma, as that can be distressing for anyone, let alone victims. I've just seen a rise in people who feel uncomfortable with something, or get anxious/panicky over mundane shit, and as much as it sucks, part of getting better is being "triggered", because its not a healthy response
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
I'm just recalling from memory at the moment, and am probably way off/behind the times, but I remember my uni is pretty renown for doing some good research in treating/helping PTSD.

Roughly speaking, and probably much better updated from the basic gists I learned (and possibly misremembering from a different, incorrect source that wasnt even from my uni):

It's good to surface that out at times case-by-case.

Obviously something like PTSD is much more extreme than just some over-sensitive dummies' reactions (not to trivialize, but please kindly take it as a joke), but yeah, case-by-case etc etc.

Tact is good, but it also shouldn't be falsely applied with "pat on your back! Here's a trophy!" type behavior, or you might have that person think that that's how reality will always treat them.
Quote by megano28
The flaw in trigger warnings is that the label can also be triggering. Anything that reminds the person of a previous assault and/or trauma can induce panic attacks/hysteria.

It can, and in the case that it does, then it doesn't matter whether or not you gave a trigger warning anyway. In the case that an audience member may experience a panic attack from that which deals with traumatic material, the case might be that a trigger warning doesn't cause a panic attack, but the medium (written, watched, heard, whatever it may be) does. I don't see why giving a trigger warning would be worse than not doing so, so I don't see why it would really be a flaw.

Quote by megano28

Sure. Maybe facing the trauma head-on may be the right course of treatment for the person. But I'd let professionals deal with that. I'm not going to force someone to deal with it from my own volition.

Quote by megano28

As I see it, trying to avoid triggering a panic attack, whether it would happen or not, is the best course of action.

Quote by megano28
But the one thing that's sure is that this tumblr-esque interpretation is doing more harm than good.

How so? What is the "Tumblr-esque" interpretation?
Free Ali
I do like how it's structured in TV shows: a vague warning at the beginning and the disturbing scene usually doesn't come out of nowhere so you can use context clues. If i'm still unsure about whether I would want to watch it I read the episode summary or reviews. Basically, you have options as a triggerable person and it doesn't inconvenience anyone else. Having triggers for things doesn't mean that you're helpless.
cat
If you disagree with trigger warnings they're probably not for you

just ignore them and move on
Page 1 of 4