Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I'm kinda sullen right now. I was watching the news when I heard about auditions for American Idol at Baltimore. I had to make a 1-hour drive just to be there. Sadly, it was 10:30 A.M. and registration started at 8:00 A.M. so I just didn't want to do it for the sake of inconvenience to me and another person that was supposed to come with me. Then I reflected upon it, and thought to myself, "is American Idol where I belong? I'm supposed to be an indie/alternative artist dammit. Does that make me a sellout?"

So asked a friend if I'd become a sellout, they said, "no, everyone should know about you, you won't be a sellout because everyone else struggles and try to find opportunities, this is your opportunity to shine." Then I started to think to myself, "well alright...but do you really think I have a good chance? You know, American Idol might manipulate you and your artistry will diminish, even Kanye won't respect your artistry."

What do you think? Does an acoustic alternative/indie artist have a good chance of making it?

Edit: I removed my vid cuz I didn't intend to be looking like I was publicizing myself.
Last edited by Hence My Name at Jun 20, 2015,
Quote by Bladez22
be attractive

suck lots of dick

I think I look alright, I mean I've crafted my image...unless you think otherwise. And I'm allergic to other people's dicks sorry, and there's no known medication for my allergies :/
Quote by Hence My Name
Hey guys, I'm kinda sullen right now. I was watching the news

There's your problem (truth incoming..... hold_on_to_yr_butts.jpg)

Also, your genre is incredibly easy to pleb-ize. Just throw some borderline Black Keys influenced rips, with a whistle hook in there. Also, no. Didnt click the vid as I only care about the marketing that interests me
Quote by Fat Lard
There's your problem (truth incoming..... hold_on_to_yr_butts.jpg)

Also, your genre is incredibly easy to pleb-ize. Just throw some borderline Black Keys influenced rips, with a whistle hook in there. Also, no. Didnt click the vid as I only care about the marketing that interests me

what's pleb-ize? Black Keys are great, but I've move on from bluesy-rock to more acoustic sound. I feel like more and more bands are getting into the bluesy hard rock feel, like Foals, Royal Blood, and yes Black Keys. And sorry, I didn't want it to look like I was marketing anything, I'll remove it if it bothers people.
srs answer, my friend auditioned for the X-factor (UK version). She's been taking piano and singing lessons for years, and is genuinely really good. She actually teaches both of them herself now. She got told by the preliminary judges that she sounded good, but "didn't have what they were looking for"

you've got to be attractive and have a tv personality. Or be so awful they can mock you on tv lol

you're better off not bothering if you're a serious musician. These shows are a cheap shortcut that'll get you nowhere in the long run anyway, who remembers the winner from 4 years ago? nobody, because they didn't actually do anything. If you want 5 minutes of fame then sure, by all means. But you're better off just writing your own stuff, playing gigs, getting your name out there otherwise
Quote by Wormholes
your hair looks weird.

lol I had a conversation about that...I was deciding wether to cut my bangs or not...most people said to keep it so I did.
Quote by Hence My Name
what's pleb-ize? Black Keys are great, but I've move on from bluesy-rock to more acoustic sound. I feel like more and more bands are getting into the bluesy hard rock feel, like Foals, Royal Blood, and yes Black Keys. And sorry, I didn't want it to look like I was marketing anything, I'll remove it if it bothers people.

I was just giving you a teaser taste for the criticism you will get, inevitably. Stack the mon $$
Try singing really really good
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by Bladez22
srs answer, my friend auditioned for the X-factor (UK version). She's been taking piano and singing lessons for years, and is genuinely really good. She actually teaches both of them herself now. She got told by the preliminary judges that she sounded good, but "didn't have what they were looking for"

you've got to be attractive and have a tv personality. Or be so awful they can mock you on tv lol

you're better off not bothering if you're a serious musician. These shows are a cheap shortcut that'll get you nowhere in the long run anyway, who remembers the winner from 4 years ago? nobody, because they didn't actually do anything. If you want 5 minutes of fame then sure, by all means. But you're better off just writing your own stuff, playing gigs, getting your name out there otherwise

I don't really want to win first place per say. I just want to get myself out there. I know that those who were in American Idol that were good but were eliminated were the ones that became successful. I know what you mean though, and that's why it's troubling me.
tbh indie is still popular music therefore centered around fame and commercial success

if you're worried about losing your 'true art for the sake of art' cred you should be working on becoming poor and joining a revolutionary cultural circle based in some struggling bar that gets next to no visitors
also plan on dying as a lonely bitter alcoholic in deteriorating / abandoned building and / or homeless shelter
Quote by Cardbored

Ah man, my voice isn't my strong suite. I'm a bit better at writing melodies and songs.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
tbh indie is still popular music therefore centered around fame and commercial success

if you're worried about losing your 'true art for the sake of art' cred you should be working on becoming poor and joining a revolutionary cultural circle based in some struggling bar that gets next to no visitors

lol I see your point. Then what do you suggest, I go to American Idol then? Was that implied?
Quote by Hence My Name
lol I see your point. Then what do you suggest, I go to American Idol then? Was that implied?

yeah basically, if you want to

if you feel like it isn't for you don't go but i wouldn't worry too much about the 'selling out' factor
Quote by JamSessionFreak
yeah basically, if you want to

if you feel like it isn't for you don't go but i wouldn't worry too much about the 'selling out' factor

I don't know, I want more people to criticize my music so when I go there, I wouldn't be a laughing stock. I want to present someone worth listening to. It feels like American Idol would make or break people.
Quote by Cardbored

No, winning those contests has **** all to do with talent.

Make a time machine, and murder your family or something. Maybe sexually assault the younger version of you. Then you'll have the necessary sob story, because that's what they're interested in.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Also should probably account for the very high amount of contestants/odds of getting in. Though that's more based on the snippets I've seen. Might be a waste of money/time, might not be
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, winning those contests has **** all to do with talent.

Make a time machine, and murder your family or something. Maybe sexually assault the younger version of you. Then you'll have the necessary sob story, because that's what they're interested in.

Man I feel like sob stories are so cheap. I understand people like sob stories...but c'mon, why do you have to have been homeless, was a drug addict, etc... so that people would like you. I have my own personal struggles, my hands weren't actually made to play instruments at all, but seriously sob stories are so cheap :L It's like having a photo contest with an instrument, with the photos including babies usually always win.
Quote by Fat Lard
Also should probably account for the very high amount of contestants/odds of getting in. Though that's more based on the snippets I've seen. Might be a waste of money/time, might not be

But you know, even if you have a 1% chance of being able to make it I think that's more than enough to try anyway. It's not like one of those pay-to-play "talent shows" which are of course scam and highly frowned upon.
Quote by Hence My Name
Man I feel like sob stories are so cheap. I understand people like sob stories...but c'mon, why do you have to have been homeless, was a drug addict, etc... so that people would like you. I have my own personal struggles, my hands weren't actually made to play instruments at all, but seriously sob stories are so cheap :L It's like having a photo contest with an instrument, with the photos including babies usually always win.

Because without the sob story, viewers don't get so invested in a contestant's 'journey'. And, without that emotional investment, there's less revenue from the $2 text voting, sales of the shit cover they'll make the winner record the day after they win, and advertising.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Hence My Name
I don't really want to win first place per say. I just want to get myself out there. I know that those who were in American Idol that were good but were eliminated were the ones that became successful. I know what you mean though, and that's why it's troubling me.

there's better ways of getting yourself out there
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Because without the sob story, viewers don't get so invested in a contestant's 'journey'. And, without that emotional investment, there's less revenue from the $2 text voting, sales of the shit cover they'll make the winner record the day after they win, and advertising.

Ahh I hate to do it, but if I must I'll probably call up my English professor then. I'm not good at sharing struggles, because I'm a pretty optimistic person.
You don't need to make much up, just embellish however you want to act. The spotlight can charge you after awhile if the coordinators are cool (expect the camera/setup etc to treat you like product, however).

Idk how the auditions work, but for American Idol, it looked like multi-hour long lines just to get in the line shot ~ the Justin to Kelley days.

They're not going to want boring, however. you can Axelfox for a 10-sec spot that could go viral to your yt, act joe-cool to get the ladiez, anything in between. But yeah, it needs to be memorable like with any job interview/audition.
Quote by Fat Lard
You don't need to make much up, just embellish however you want to act. The spotlight can charge you after awhile if the coordinators are cool (expect the camera/setup etc to treat you like product, however).

Idk how the auditions work, but for American Idol, it looked like multi-hour long lines just to get in the line shot ~ the Justin to Kelley days.

They're not going to want boring, however. you can Axelfox for a 10-sec spot that could go viral to your yt, act joe-cool to get the ladiez, anything in between. But yeah, it needs to be memorable like with any job interview/audition.

This is a long-shot comparison but I'm like a Johnny Cash to be honest.
i imagine it's a good way to get your name out there even if you only get a small amount of screen time
Quote by Bladez22

Yea I heard that show is rigged as hell.
Quote by Hence My Name
This is a long-shot comparison but I'm like a Johnny Cash to be honest.

hell, ****ing, yes bro. MILK IT!!!!!!!! It'll probably be a fun, great learning experience regardless of the outcome.

(hell, I just might have to tune in )

(advice: make a super awesome OP around near the time its out of production)
Just don't give some sob story about musik=lyfe and i always dreamed of being a famous musician cause no one cares about that. We want to see people like that chinese guy. Though tbh i didn't even know american idol still existed.
Quote by Fat Lard
hell, ****ing, yes bro. MILK IT!!!!!!!! It'll probably be a fun, great learning experience regardless of the outcome.

(hell, I just might have to tune in )

(advice: make a super awesome OP around near the time its out of production)

I will, but you know Johnny Cash is pretty reserved until he straps his guitar up and do his thing. In interviews, he's very quiet (lol but not when he was taking some drugs, I saw an interview where he was high af)

I don't know how to milk it, people when they first meet me want me to talk to them first but I don't really roll that way. I guess I need to work on that too.
Quote by Wormholes
Just don't give some sob story about musik=lyfe and i always dreamed of being a famous musician cause no one cares about that. We want to see people like that chinese guy. Though tbh i didn't even know american idol still existed.

It's their last season. Yeah, I'll try to avoid cliche....probably like "I had a vision from Buddha and he commanded me to be here and now I'm here. I was in a journey of discovering myself and upon arriving to Thailand to see the famous Buddha statue, on the night before, Buddha visited my dreams" I wish I was that interesting
Quote by Fat Lard
IMO you seem hard af, dont worry too much and youll learn to surf on the spot, dude

Alright then, I will do that...and if I get in the show, I'll be posting about it here
Do it and when you're famous do a cover of the pit by mouse rat in honor of all of us Really though, I hope you go do this thing and whatever the outcome, you come out of the experience better off for it.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
Do it and when you're famous do a cover of the pit by mouse rat in honor of all of us Really though, I hope you go do this thing and whatever the outcome, you come out of the experience better off for it.

wow, what could be a more appropriate song. Alright, I'll do it. Gotta wait until August 2 since that's when the place closest to me do the auditions. With my time, I'll learn to:

1) write a sob story
2) look attractive
3) sing real good
4) MILK IT!!!

I think that was all?
That's how I did it it'll help if you can cry-on-demand too, not so much that everyone feels uncomfortable but enough so that they feel your struggle
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Page 1 of 2