Page 1 of 3
post a small accomplishment you've made to better yourself or noticeable progress you've made towards bettering yourself.

i have been clean for 9 months and i haven't seriously thought about drugs (the real empty 'why did i quit' feeling) in about a week which is much longer than usual

your turn, keep it positive
i don't know why i feel so dry
approve of this thread

i'm working to make my ambitions a reality. writing some new rad tunes to help sort out my emotions, learning new programming languages and tools to boost my resume and facilitate the creation of some new cool shit, and although it might not seem like it i'm actively trying to have a more positive outlook on things.
I'm trying and am very close to putting together a band with people who like the same music as me, for the first time in 4-5 years
I finally got a system for open G tuning and I'm learning something else properly for the first time in nearly a year.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by DukeDeRox
I got a job at a candy store yesterday. First job in 2 years

That's a great job.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by DukeDeRox
No. No it is not.

seriously though candy factories are where it's at

A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by DukeDeRox
No. No it is not.

It sounds pretty sweet
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

i got nothing right now but ask again at the end of the month idk i feel like i could go & make make something outta nothing relatively soon although tbh i felt that way a month ago and fell on my face so lol who knows eh
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
It sounds pretty sweet

The guy who owns the shop is a dick to the employees. I have to box all candy fallen on the floor and weigh it. Kids drop a lot of shit. I don't get to eat the candy unless I pay for it. I'll mostly work alone and get no breaks. With no phones allowed I usually just stand around for hours. It's minimum wage. People don't understand how to bag their own candy and I have to charge them for whatever the most expensive thing in their bag is, then they get pissy.

It's one of those jobs that sounds good but is really no different than working at walmart lol all that matters is I get paid. I need money and I have a job, so a win is a win.
Last edited by DukeDeRox at Jun 20, 2015,
Quote by MinterMan22
i got nothing right now but ask again at the end of the month idk i feel like i could go & make make something outta nothing relatively soon although tbh i felt that way a month ago and fell on my face so lol who knows eh

was gonna post a shorter version of this (wow ) but decided not to to keep it positive.
Quote by DukeDeRox
The guy who owns the shop is a dick to the employees. I have to box all candy fallen on the floor and weigh it. Kids drop a lot of shit. I don't get to eat the candy unless I pay for it. I'll mostly work alone and get no breaks. With no phones allowed I usually just stand around for hours. It's minimum wage. People don't understand how to bag their own candy and I have to charge them for whatever the most expensive thing in their bag is, then they get pissy.

It's one of those jobs that sounds good but is really no different than working at walmart lol all that matters is I get paid. I need money and I have a job, so a win is a win.

sounds like it can get a bit sour at times
Quote by DukeDeRox

Yo money is great but if you hate the job it's gonna suck so hard, start applying to other places in like a month while you're still there that you actually wanna work at until you hear back from one. That's what I did for my last job.

Alternated between working really hard and and standing around for an hour or so, super boring. Weren't allowed to sit down or have a phones at all and the pay was shit. Now my work is harder but they treat their employees a lot nicer
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Finished all my exams and feeling confident I went great in my first semester of uni woop. This time last year I was feeling garbage and didn't think I'd be able to get into uni, let alone see it through.
West Ham United
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
Yo money is great but if you hate the job it's gonna suck so hard, start applying to other places in like a month while you're still there that you actually wanna work at until you hear back from one. That's what I did for my last job.

Alternated between working really hard and and standing around for an hour or so, super boring. Weren't allowed to sit down or have a phones at all and the pay was shit. Now my work is harder but they treat their employees a lot nicer

Yeah, I'm poking around for jobs at places I think I'd like. I couldn't get many jobs because my work history was bartending, busing, food running, and heavy lifting. I think experience in retail will help me get a job at other stores. I want to work at the comic shop or retro video game shop
got a new job today. only getting paid minimum wage, but the wage was increased fairly recently and it's looking like i'm going to be getting a decent amount of hours so that's ok w/ me

also in a month i might be seeing a friend who i haven't seen in like 2ish years. bad thing is that this girl was a crush (understating here w/e) of mine for awhile and i'm kinda having some resurgent feelings that make me feel good but i know it's really not. but sometimes you need to deal with it. hopefully it all works out. if not i guess i'll end up writing more angsty poems about japan, at the very least it might be readable
Last edited by Dregen at Jun 21, 2015,
Quote by DukeDeRox
Yeah, I'm poking around for jobs at places I think I'd like. I couldn't get many jobs because my work history was bartending, busing, food running, and heavy lifting. I think experience in retail will help me get a job at other stores. I want to work at the comic shop or retro video game shop

It's all about the co-workers and managers in retail, as you have learned. A comic shop or video game store could end up being no different than the candy store if you have a shitty boss/managers and co-workers.

That being said, most people who work at those places seem pretty chill
I enjoy playing piano now. Usually takes up a good two hours or more a day, and it feels really nice to actually like it. It used to be a huge part of me as a teenager, and then I dipped out at 18. Starting it up again after a few years is weird. All muscle memory is gone, and the sheet music always seemed foreign, and it felt like I was sight-reading. Got proper pissed about it, kept with it despite hating it, and now it's all back.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Eastwinn
good job everyone who is now employed

fuck
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Baby Joel
I enjoy playing piano now. Usually takes up a good two hours or more a day, and it feels really nice to actually like it. It used to be a huge part of me as a teenager, and then I dipped out at 18. Starting it up again after a few years is weird. All muscle memory is gone, and the sheet music always seemed foreign, and it felt like I was sight-reading. Got proper pissed about it, kept with it despite hating it, and now it's all back.

i wish playing an instrument was like riding a bike, i'd still have my guitar chops
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
It's all about the co-workers and managers in retail, as you have learned. A comic shop or video game store could end up being no different than the candy store if you have a shitty boss/managers and co-workers.

That being said, most people who work at those places seem pretty chill

True. I know/am friends with the people who own and work at the comic book shop. But they just relocated a little further away and already hired new people. If they ever get an opening it should be a fun place. And the people at the retro game store see me a lot since I buy lots of old games there and they're really nice. One win at a time, one at a time
Quote by RedDeath9
sounds like it can get a bit sour at times

looooooooooooool
Quote by Dregen
got a new job today. only getting paid minimum wage, but the wage was increased fairly recently and it's looking like i'm going to be getting a decent amount of hours so that's ok w/ me

also in a month i might be seeing a friend who i haven't seen in like 2ish years. bad thing is that this girl was a crush (understating here w/e) of mine for awhile and i'm kinda having some resurgent feelings that make me feel good but i know it's really not. but sometimes you need to deal with it. hopefully it all works out

What's yo new job yo?
Quote by DukeDeRox

And if everything like that fails, which I really hope it doesn't because that'd be really shitty of me, you can always try a staffing agency, you'll most likely hear back pretty quickly if you don't mind doing manual labor again. All the ones around here do temp to hire as well.
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Quote by Baby Joel

my brother split with his wife (this is a big win, not a small win) and he took the keyboard he bought her which she never used and gave it to me. so if the motivation strikes me we should do mad piano jams.

girl i'm in cahoots with who lives in silver spring is moving at some undetermined time (lives w/ dad cause not emancipated, dad is selling house and moving in w/ girlfriend closer to me, no good offers yet) so pretty soon i will never be in your area of the world and won't have an excuse to piano jam. so we should piano jam
So during the last semester in college, I took more credits than usual so I could try and graduate early, save myself a few grand. As a result, I had a much heavier workload than usual. This workload was compounded by A. bombing the first test in a class I took way too lightly and having to bust my ass to save my grade in it, which I did manage to do, and B. one of the classes having a group project that counted for 60% of the grade where everyone else in the group only showed up to take credit, so I had to do four people's worth of work all by myself on what is basically a senior project in the order most people take the classes in.

Long story short, late nights became an every night thing, and I got into the habit of going to bed at 5 AM because that was the only way everything got done, and I have yet to kick that habit. Going to bed at 5 AM has the problem of either leaving you dead during the day because you got three hours sleep, or losing hours and hours of time because you sleep into the afternoon. Being a diagnosed insomniac already doesn't help, either.

Planning on trying to dial it back to 2 AM tonight and score one of these little victories, here's hoping it goes well.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 21, 2015,
Well I got a job over a year ago but now I'm getting serious about becoming a guitar repairman so I guess there's that.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by DukeDeRox
True. I know/am friends with the people who own and work at the comic book shop. But they just relocated a little further away and already hired new people. If they ever get an opening it should be a fun place. And the people at the retro game store see me a lot since I buy lots of old games there and they're really nice. One win at a time, one at a time

looooooooooooool

What's yo new job yo?

dishwasher atm, but later on i'm gonna be trained to make pizza and other various italian foods that they serve. also in a couple of months or so they're gonna start doing delivery, and i'm pretty much the go-to guy for that right now cause- a: they recently opened and i jumped on board, and b: i've had previous delivery driving experience so it'd be pretty easy

besides all that, i was also told that i'd get a raise in 30-60 days if i do good work. unfortunately i'll probably have to bring it up myself after that time frame, but i think i'd consider myself valuable enough by then and wouldn't mind asking nearly as much.
Quote by Jon777
approve of this thread

i'm working to make my ambitions a reality. writing some new rad tunes to help sort out my emotions, learning new programming languages and tools to boost my resume and facilitate the creation of some new cool shit, and although it might not seem like it i'm actively trying to have a more positive outlook on things.

Quote by MeGaDeth2314
I'm trying and am very close to putting together a band with people who like the same music as me, for the first time in 4-5 years

i can get behind the rad tunes. if you have any finished products you should hit us up

Quote by Pastafarian96
I finally got a system for open G tuning and I'm learning something else properly for the first time in nearly a year.

what are you learning in open g? candy rat sort of things?

Quote by captainsnazz
16-14

close call

Quote by MinterMan22

Quote by slipknot5678
was gonna post a shorter version of this (wow ) but decided not to to keep it positive.

i can relate for sure. i'll huu at the end of the month

Quote by soundgarden1986
i havent been drinking as much recently

like i was never an alcoholic or anything but i would kind of fall back on it whenever i was bored to kind of make the nights pass by faster i guess. ive been busy a lot recently so i havent had that desire to drink

"alcohol is a disease of society" banter aside, drinking less is almost always a good thing. especially if you use it as an excuse to mope around (if that's what you were doing). should be good to know that you can put it aside when you need to

Quote by King Donkey
Finished all my exams and feeling confident I went great in my first semester of uni woop. This time last year I was feeling garbage and didn't think I'd be able to get into uni, let alone see it through.

that's how i felt about my first semester too. things did not look up for me (see op) but i hope things continue to be cool for you

Quote by Dregen
also in a month i might be seeing a friend who i haven't seen in like 2ish years. bad thing is that this girl was a crush (understating here w/e) of mine for awhile and i'm kinda having some resurgent feelings that make me feel good but i know it's really not. but sometimes you need to deal with it. hopefully it all works out. if not i guess i'll end up writing more angsty poems about japan, at the very least it might be readable

i can relate. my situation is so complicated though that i would have to write waaaaay more than anyone reasonably cares to read. but so far i'm happier than i was before she and i reunited! i hope everything works out for you, even if it hurts a bit in the meantime
Quote by necrosis1193
So during the last semester in college, I took more credits than usual so I could try and graduate early, save myself a few grand. As a result, I had a much heavier workload than usual. This workload was compounded by A. bombing the first test in a class I took way too lightly and having to bust my ass to save my grade in it, which I did manage to do, and B. one of the classes having a group project that counted for 60% of the grade where everyone else in the group only showed up to take credit, so I had to do four people's worth of work all by myself on what is basically a senior project in the order most people take the classes in.

Long story short, late nights became an every night thing, and I got into the habit of going to bed at 5 AM because that was the only way everything got done, and I have yet to kick that habit. Going to bed at 5 AM has the problem of either leaving you dead during the day because you got three hours sleep, or losing hours and hours of time because you sleep into the afternoon. Being a diagnosed insomniac already doesn't help, either.

Planning on trying to dial it back to 2 AM tonight and score one of these little victories, here's hoping it goes well.

good luck

i don't experience insomnia like i imagine you do (mania certainly keeps me wide awake but i don't think it's comparable) so i don't have advice. but i hope you can get you sleep schedule back on track
Quote by Dregen
dishwasher atm, but later on i'm gonna be trained to make pizza and other various italian foods that they serve. also in a couple of months or so they're gonna start doing delivery, and i'm pretty much the go-to guy for that right now cause- a: they recently opened and i jumped on board, and b: i've had previous delivery driving experience so it'd be pretty easy

besides all that, i was also told that i'd get a raise in 30-60 days if i do good work. unfortunately i'll probably have to bring it up myself after that time frame, but i think i'd consider myself valuable enough by then and wouldn't mind asking nearly as much.

My friend is a dishwasher at a local place and he likes it cause he doesn't have to deal with customers Learning to cook would be dope doe
Quote by Eastwinn
what are you learning in open g? candy rat sort of things?

maybe later, but atm it's sister morphine by the rolling stones because it might end up being a duet someday with a dear friend.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Eastwinn

i have been clean for 9 months and i haven't seriously thought about drugs (the real empty 'why did i quit' feeling) in about a week which is much longer than usual

This is fantastic man! It sounds like you are making excellent progress! Overcoming addictions can be a never ending battle, and I've known people who haven't reached the milestone that you have even after years of being clean, and I've heard of many more than that who were unable to get clean for even a month. You should be proud
Quote by Pastafarian96
maybe later, but atm it's sister morphine by the rolling stones because it might end up being a duet someday with a dear friend.

oh i had no idea that's in open g. my mom used to play that song on the way to school on a cassette constantly when i was little. i'm not a fan of them in general, but there are a couple songs from sticky fingers that make me so nostalgic that i can't help but secretly like them
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
This is fantastic man! It sounds like you are making excellent progress! Overcoming addictions can be a never ending battle, and I've known people who haven't reached the milestone that you have even after years of being clean, and I've heard of many more than that who were unable to get clean for even a month. You should be proud

i am proud!
i don't worry too much about relapse. i think about it a lot, obviously (tho not lately, see op) but i'm pretty confident in myself and there are a few people i can really trust to help me. although addiction and the restructuring of my life i did upon quitting has lost me the majority of my friends, it's strengthened my friendship with some people so much that in the end i think it's turned out for the better.

thanks for the encouragement
Quote by DukeDeRox
looooooooooooool

for the record, firefromthevoid's comment was a pun too idk if you noticed but he probz deserves at least a little bit of credit

as for small wins, i wrote a pretty sick riff a couple days ago
Page 1 of 3