I have been playing for last 10 months and playing guitar and listening to music is pretty much all I do. I want to improve my technique, ear and knowledge of music theory so I can be a good all round musician and be competent enough to play live and write my own music. It's a very long shot but music has occupied all of my brain at present. I am just looking for a master like Yoda who can help me on this journey. I promise to be the most sincere disciple . if anyone is willing to mentor me please reply.
Quote by Black_devils
Pit Mode: LUL WUT?

Sorry but what's so funny?
Quote by 40xxx04
Sorry but what's so funny?

I just find it funny how you're looking for a "mentor" online. If you want an actual mentor then look for a person that can teach you in person.. Other then that I'd highly advise you to use this website since you've only been learning for "10 months". I'll post the link down below it's a really useful website for all skill sets, but it's more useful for beginners.

It teaches you the basics that you'll need in order to build a solid foundation with your learning, and progress on the guitar. Just remember this doing the advance things is just doing the basics well. By the way don't make the same mistakes a lot of beginners tend to make with rushing just take your time, and make sure you're doing everything right or you'll form a lot of bad habits.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

Link ^

Quote by Black_devils
I just find it funny how you're looking for a "mentor" online. If you want an actual mentor then look for a person that can teach you in person.. Other then that I'd highly advise you to use this website since you've only been learning for "10 months". I'll post the link down below it's a really useful website for all skill sets, but it's more useful for beginners.

It teaches you the basics that you'll need in order to build a solid foundation with your learning, and progress on the guitar. Just remember this doing the advance things is just doing the basics well. By the way don't make the same mistakes a lot of beginners tend to make with rushing just take your time, and make sure you're doing everything right or you'll form a lot of bad habits.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

Link ^

. Don't just make assumptions without knowing me at all. I have tried every teacher in my town and nothing really worked. No one wanted to teach me what I wanted to learn. I wanted to practise slow and one of the greatest teachers supposedly in my town called me a slow poke for trying to play something slow. Also, now I try to play everything by ear and I am not really looking to just keep on learning techniques anyways. My biggest improvements have come when I started learning songs by ear. I could really dissect everything about why my idols sound good to me. Also, what's wrong in trying to find a mentor online? Many people are more than willing to share their knowledge and help people like me who wants to learn everything there is about making music. Every waking hour I spend I think about guitar and I'm sure 90% here are the same . All I am seeking is a guy who went through this learning curve so I can gain as much knowledge as possible.
Quote by 40xxx04
. Don't just make assumptions without knowing me at all. I have tried every teacher in my town and nothing really worked. No one wanted to teach me what I wanted to learn. I wanted to practise slow and one of the greatest teachers supposedly in my town called me a slow poke for trying to play something slow. Also, now I try to play everything by ear and I am not really looking to just keep on learning techniques anyways. My biggest improvements have come when I started learning songs by ear. I could really dissect everything about why my idols sound good to me. Also, what's wrong in trying to find a mentor online? Many people are more than willing to share their knowledge and help people like me who wants to learn everything there is about making music. Every waking hour I spend I think about guitar and I'm sure 90% here are the same . All I am seeking is a guy who went through this learning curve so I can gain as much knowledge as possible.

No good teacher would seriously say that you are learning too slow. Anything self respecting musician knows that it's vital to learn things slowly and correctly. Otherwise it'll mess up your neural connections in the long term. Find a real teacher.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
No good teacher would seriously say that you are learning too slow. Anything self respecting musician knows that it's vital to learn things slowly and correctly. Otherwise it'll mess up your neural connections in the long term. Find a real teacher.

Now I have actually rather been doing pretty well. This was during first couple of months I was playing guitar. Now I can play stuff from led Zeppelin, black Sabbath and kiss. Also most guitar teachers I met were just interested in showing off their chops n giving me a sheet of music to play than explain why something sounds interesting and how you can modify a lick and make it your own and all.
Last edited by 40xxx04 at Jun 21, 2015,
Quote by 40xxx04
Now I have actually rather been doing pretty well. This was during first couple of months I was playing guitar. Now I can play stuff from led Zeppelin, black Sabbath and kiss. Also most guitar teachers I met were just interested in showing off their chops n giving me a sheet of music to play than explain why something sounds interesting and how you can modify a lick and make it your own and all.

These guys aren't teachers in that case.

cheers, Jerry
Quote by GoldenGuitar

This. I didn't see these comments before I responded to him, but he's contacted me and I've listened to his examples, and they are exactly what I'd want to hear. He's slow, and patient, and he's listening to what he plays. For 10 months in, I think he's on the right track. A lot of his "inner musician" game is already there! I complimented him because he played it slow. I could do things with a student like him.

Best,

Sean
^ Well I know one thing for sure now, you're definitely a good teacher Sean. Much better than I am. TS sounds like a dedicated person, it took me years before I learnt the discipline to practice properly.
Quote by Black_devils

In person is great, but you would be surprised at how well someone can be taught and mentored online.
Quote by Vlasco
In person is great, but you would be surprised at how well someone can be taught and mentored online.

That's why I recommended him the site I posted, Justin is great teacher for beginners. He teaches you all the basics that you need in order to build a solid foundation. No ones really going to hold your hand over the internet like an in person teacher. If you can't find a teacher you'll have to learn how to be self sufficient like a lot of self taught guitarist. It's the only way honestly no ones going to know your exact goals, and where you want to take your playing if you have no idea what you want to do.

These forums are helpful, but it's not like anyone over here can sit down, and correct him on what he's doing right or wrong in person. Posting a video demonstrating his playing can only go so far. Also Sure we can correct him, and tell him what he needs to do, but posting videos can only do so much. It's all up to the individual at the end of the day. Just like how having a great in person teacher won't make you a better player if you don't put in the work. Not saying O.P is like that, but there's really no need to go out there, and search for a mentor when the internet is in abundance of information.

To the O.P maybe you should look for other musicians to jam with or maybe even start a band you could learn a lot more than any of us can teach you honestly. By the way if you want to make a career out of guitar playing start looking for people to gig with. You don't have to be the greatest most technically proficient guitarist in order to make a good band work. You just need to be a decent enough rhythm guitarist, and maybe play a little lead here and there.
Last edited by Black_devils at Jun 21, 2015,
Quote by 40xxx04

I never made assumptions mate. If the teachers you were looking for can't teach you what you want to learn then you can learn from the internet. I suggest you check out the link I originally posted in my previous post. By the way yeah I agree with you about how many people are willing to share their knowledge online, but no ones just going to sit there, and babysit on what you're doing.

Also I know the majority of the forum members have a lot of experience there's a lot of people that teach, gig, and work in the industry all you need to do is ask, but I'd highly recommend that you learn how to figure things out on your own because that's the best skill you can develop.

If you ever have a question regarding something just come on the forum, and post about it. I'm sure there's more then plenty of people that are willing to work you help out whatever problem that you're having.
Last edited by Black_devils at Jun 21, 2015,
Quote by cdgraves
Well if you want a decent teacher you're going to have to pay money for it. Musical instruction is a valuable service. Also, any good teacher will teach you what you need, not just what you want.

I have tried all the guitar instructors in my town. Seriously I did not find anyone of them being helpful. One of them went straight into talking about intervals and modes despite me telling him I don't know any theory. Another said I was wearing strap too high for rock n roll and mostly they never listen to me. All they were intent on doing is giving out sheets and asking me learn something for next week without ever telling me why I should practise something and how would it help me in the longer run. Like I said before many would just waste most of the time in an 30 hour slot just by showing of what they can play.
^Well here's the good news.

If Sean's as impressed with your practice habits as he says he is, you probably have the foundation to teach yourself with minimal guidance.

Now if only there was some sort of online resource with an ungodly amount of guitar tabs and like a forum and jaded classical composers willing to give theory advice...

Too bad something like that doesn't exist, we could call it "Superlative Axe" or "Utmost 6 Stringed Thingy"
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Noodling during a paid lesson is pretty ridiculous. As long as your strap isn't insanely high or low, the height isn't the most important thing ever - to tell someone to change the height because it's not rock n' roll is pretty funny in a tragic way.
Quote by 40xxx04
I have tried all the guitar instructors in my town. Seriously I did not find anyone of them being helpful. One of them went straight into talking about intervals and modes despite me telling him I don't know any theory. Another said I was wearing strap too high for rock n roll and mostly they never listen to me. All they were intent on doing is giving out sheets and asking me learn something for next week without ever telling me why I should practise something and how would it help me in the longer run. Like I said before many would just waste most of the time in an 30 hour slot just by showing of what they can play.

Have you looked for a teacher with style-specific training? Anyone with an actual music degree should be versed in a style, usually classical or jazz. Even if those aren't the styles you want to pursue, the structure you get with formal education is very effective. You will just have to continue practicing other styles on the side. It's a time commitment, but worth it if you're serious

Honestly, if you're dead set on being the best guitarist you can be, you'll want to have the skills you get with structured learning. I would not normally suggest getting a teacher for styles you don't have much interest in, but it's still better than none at all if your options are really limited. Plus, lots of those guys play regular old rock music, too.

Look on craigslist if you have to, or visit a university and ask about MA/PhD students (they are generally required to teach as part of their training).
Quote by 40xxx04

are these actual teachers or are they teachers in the same way that dr. pepper is licensed to practice medicine
I offer a guitar coaching program, pretty much "all access" - we communicate via email, custom video, audio, etc. with specific lesson plans tailored to you. It's $200 / month, which is less than you'd pay in many places for an hour lesson per week with most teachers, so it's a lot of instruction for the money. If you're interested, go to RebelliousGuitar.com and send me a message.