I have an old no name Japanese strat copy, where the body has slightly different dimensions from a standard Fender strat, therefore, I can't fit a standard pickguard. Thing is, the cutout for the switch is too small and the screws for the switch are too close together to actually mount a regular blade switch.

Now, thing is, I'm installing a JB jr in the bridge position, and a little 59 in the neck. I'm going to put a dummy coil in, so I'll use that to fill in the middle position. Due to the inability to fit a blade switch without cutting a whole new pickguard (I would like to keep the old one), and the fact that I want to maintain a relatively clean look, I've come up with a pretty interesting control scheme. I've installed a spdt switch in each of the two screw holes to cover those up (these will be wired to coil tap each pickup individually) and I plan to install a 3 way gibson style switch in between the two, to hide the slot. Of course, this will be used to select the pickup. Now, problem is, since its not a blade switch, I cannot wire it in the usual manner as far as the tone circuit goes. All I know is that each pickup will indeed have a dedicated tone control (similar to a standard strat), however, each pickup will have to go to one of the tone pots before going to the switch... how would this be done? I assume after that is wired and done, the output of the switch will go to one wire from the dummy coil, and the other wire would go to the 1st contact of the volume pot, correct?
Thanks in advance, I know this is a bit of a strange wiring scheme, but hey, I have to cover the slot left from the old switch
Last edited by guitar42697 at Jun 21, 2015,
I had a friend do just the same, i told him to just file/route or cut a bit of the wood out but he didn't want to as he thought this no name ebay guitar he bought would be worth something. I suppose you could get a new pickguard cut if you love the guitar enough with two pickups. Since they're both 4 wire single coils too it's already sounding like a good project.

there is a few ideas i have to approach this:
one idea i have, is a dpdt mini toggle that is on/on/on to select between the pickups , it's shaft diameter is pretty close to that of an import potentiometer so if you use the same washer you'd be set..from there a push pull that splits the coils with a tone capacitor wired to it and to the input jack. The selector would be doing nothing but for show until you get that new pickguard.

idea 2 , if you don't ever use both piickups at the same time perhaps a push pull pot in general like how george lynch wires his guitars its a volume pot that the push pulls your selector, the other push pull can be whatever you want it to be, tone , coilsplits or whatever else.

idea 3 , which is your idea i can draw out or explain it , the 3 way toggles are dirt cheap on ebay i was buying from probably the same supplier as the korean companies at one time when i took guitar modifications way more serious.

idea 4, put simply this , 12 tones out of 2 pickups
Quote by Tallwood13
I had a friend do just the same, i told him to just file/route or cut a bit of the wood out but he didn't want to as he thought this no name ebay guitar he bought would be worth something. I suppose you could get a new pickguard cut if you love the guitar enough with two pickups. Since they're both 4 wire single coils too it's already sounding like a good project.

there is a few ideas i have to approach this:
one idea i have, is a dpdt mini toggle that is on/on/on to select between the pickups , it's shaft diameter is pretty close to that of an import potentiometer so if you use the same washer you'd be set..from there a push pull that splits the coils with a tone capacitor wired to it and to the input jack. The selector would be doing nothing but for show until you get that new pickguard.

idea 2 , if you don't ever use both piickups at the same time perhaps a push pull pot in general like how george lynch wires his guitars its a volume pot that the push pulls your selector, the other push pull can be whatever you want it to be, tone , coilsplits or whatever else.

idea 3 , which is your idea i can draw out or explain it , the 3 way toggles are dirt cheap on ebay i was buying from probably the same supplier as the korean companies at one time when i took guitar modifications way more serious.

idea 4, put simply this , 12 tones out of 2 pickups

Here's the guitar with the original pickguard and all, its a bit bigger than a standard strat's guard (excuse the fact that it's not centered, since I've been taking the guard on and off, I haven't bothered to actually put the screws back in). Because I despise guitars with a sort of thrown together look (ie things that don't quite fit), I refuse to put a standard strat guard on it. Also, there's a nasty spot under the pickguard where the finish stuck to it, so it ripped off the body of the guitar. I've tried a strat guard on it, and it doesn't cover that spot haha

I'm perfectly fine with using this guard, all I'm concerned about is the wiring... I actually like the way the control layout is, so I don't intend to add any push pulls or more switches. The switches already installed are enough. Here's a closeup of the controls:

I currently have a Gibson style 3 way in the mail, and when I receive it, it be installed directly between the STDP switches. My biggest concern is getting the two tone pots wired so they effect each pickup individually.

I've already installed 3 250k CTS pots, and have a very nice orange drop cap ready for it
Last edited by guitar42697 at Jun 21, 2015,
this will be interesting I'll re-read the thread and if i get anything i'll let you know , usually with blade selectors it's a breeze to have the individual tones out of each pickup. At times like this usually I do a 2 band EQ like a treble cut (normal tone) and a bass cut (fender greasebucket) , but I'll see if I can find a way to have two individual tones out of that.This is one of the fun parts to this site is being constantly challenged by this stuff or i would have got bored a long time ago.
Quote by Tallwood13
this will be interesting I'll re-read the thread and if i get anything i'll let you know , usually with blade selectors it's a breeze to have the individual tones out of each pickup. At times like this usually I do a 2 band EQ like a treble cut (normal tone) and a bass cut (fender greasebucket) , but I'll see if I can find a way to have two individual tones out of that.This is one of the fun parts to this site is being constantly challenged by this stuff or i would have got bored a long time ago.

I've had an idea, although I don't know if it would work... I'd test it myself if I had the pickups and some alligator clips but I don't at the moment

Could I simply wire the hot of each pickup to the in lug on each tone pot, then wire the output of the pot to the switch, as if it were the pickup's hot wire? or would that simply not work?
for a master tone control yes , as hot there is your common so it would control both pickups.

perhaps the hot leads from the pickups go to the tones wiper (middle contact) and another wire goes to the hot lead. The capacitor from the tone would retain a certain amount of the treble.

I do this usually if pickups are too hot by adding a 0.022 or 0.033uf vicinity capacitor before the hot lead and there is a difference. Try it out and see what happens. If not put the hot leads from the tone controls to the switch for this or that pickup.

some alternatives are using a concentric potentiometer with two independent sets of contacts , its like a stacked potentiometer comes to mind. They aren't cheap though around 20$.