I'm looking to get a webcam to start filming covers and lessons, and also for skype lessons, any recommendations for a camera? What fps should I look for to avoid finger blur during fast passages?
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
What you really need is a better amp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
What you really need is a better amp.

Um, are you serious right now? The audio recording isn't the issue.
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Well Logitech has always been my choice of webcam, but I have no idea it's quality and reputation now. That was then though. My opinion might be outdated nowadays.
Capturing video for lessons? Anything BUT a webcam, please. Too many of those 'lessons' these days. Do something professional and get a proper camcorder, or even better, as hipster as this sounds, a GoPro. The Hero4 Black Music Editions is a VERY nice package for the price.

But seriously, no lessons until you have professional quality gear and recording techniques.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
If you want good quality video you need a good quality camera. Not a webcam.

As far as skype lessons are concerned, your and your student's internet connection will have more to do with video quality than the camera. Even the cheaper webcams can put out better quality and higher fps than skype will send.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
yeh man get yourself a real camera. the demos i do are shot with a Nikon AW1 and i sync up the audio after.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by 2Crosser
Capturing video for lessons? Anything BUT a webcam, please. Too many of those 'lessons' these days. Do something professional and get a proper camcorder, or even better, as hipster as this sounds, a GoPro. The Hero4 Black Music Editions is a VERY nice package for the price.

But seriously, no lessons until you have professional quality gear and recording techniques.

Haha yeah I didn't really mean a webcam specifically, but I didn't really communicate that >< that's a good idea, I hadn't thought of a GoPro. Thanks
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
Haha yeah I didn't really mean a webcam specifically, but I didn't really communicate that >< that's a good idea, I hadn't thought of a GoPro. Thanks

I wouldnt recommend you a GoPro for Lessons. I have a Hero 4 Black and Hero 3+ Black and while it's good for some cool angles on a recording, I wouldn't recommend it as a primary camera.
Get yourself an entry-level DSLR, you can get a Nikon D3200 or D5200 for a proper price of amazon etc., with a proper Tripod and you got your Video-Setup.
For example this Kit.

This was a quick Test I did with my Nikon D5200 and a 50mm Lens.
Although I only used this lens because I like the DoF of it. I would never shoot a lesson with it for that I would always use something like those standard 18-55 lenses that come with most cameras.
Guitar: IBANEZ RGIR20BFE-WNF
Strings: Ernie Ball .010 - .052
Amp: Yamaha THR10X | Orange Micro Dark
Effects: Boss MetalCore ML-2, Zoom 505 II, CryBaby
Entry level DSLR capable of recording in full HD at 30fps. You'll also need a fast SD card, class 10 at least and DON'T skimp on it. SanDisk, Kingston, something held highly in the camera world. And don't skimp on the tripod either.

Then get decent software capable of syncing the audio automatically for you (plenty of these are free).

It's going to cost you money, but if you want the video to show what you're doing, you need to splash the cash.
Ibanez WD7 Wah
It's going to cost you money, but if you want the video to show what you're doing, you need to splash the cash.

It all comes down to how professional you want it to be... And there's often a way to buy quality gear for less.

Just my two cents here: Nikon D3200 (or Canon T3i) and a 35mm lens (or the regular 18-55) will do the job.
As far as I'm aware the Hero 4 is capable of recording the same quality videoas cameras five times its price (wide - angle 1080p 60fps, high bitrate). Ryan Bruce on YouTube uses a Hero 3+ Black as his primary camera, and is regarded as one of the best guitar YouTubers. Ola Englund said that the only reason he has his Nikon instead of one because one of his hobbies is photography (the dude has 50 billion lenses).

All in all, there are definitely good reasons to get a good camera much better than a GoPro, but the professional - ity of the video quality isn't one of them.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Thanks for all the input guys, I totally understand that the amount I spend is going to directly influence the quality, I know nothing about cameras so I just wanted some good recommendations
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Quote by 2Crosser
As far as I'm aware the Hero 4 is capable of recording the same quality videoas cameras five times its price (wide - angle 1080p 60fps, high bitrate). Ryan Bruce on YouTube uses a Hero 3+ Black as his primary camera, and is regarded as one of the best guitar YouTubers. Ola Englund said that the only reason he has his Nikon instead of one because one of his hobbies is photography (the dude has 50 billion lenses).

All in all, there are definitely good reasons to get a good camera much better than a GoPro, but the professional - ity of the video quality isn't one of them.

Actually picture (and therefore video) quality is directly proportional to sensor size.

A DSLR will give better video than a go pro.

Look at the entry level models from Nikon or canon. D3100/3200 or the EOS1200D with the kit lens.
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by GABarrie
Actually picture (and therefore video) quality is directly proportional to sensor size.

A DSLR will give better video than a go pro.

Look at the entry level models from Nikon or canon. D3100/3200 or the EOS1200D with the kit lens.

You don't need a DSLR. These recommendations come from folks who simply don't do much video. Honestly, while I'm fully aware of their capabilities (I own Canon 5D Mk IIIs), I'm also fully aware of their drawbacks. They can get very hot to the touch while filming video, they don't follow focus well, they don't do a LOT of things well. Yes, I'm aware that they've used them for broadcast, but no, it's not a first choice.

With almost EVERYTHING capable of 1080p at 30 fps, and with almost every lens good enough for that quality, it makes no sense to use a DSLR.

If you're simply going to do video lessons for YouTube vids and doing them with your phone doesn't make sense, get a small vidcam (and no, a GoPro isn't a first choice, either). They're still out there, and you'll have to spend a bit of time doing the research and no, this isn't the forum for that and there are just too many to suggest just one without a budget.
Speak for yourself, all my DSLRs handle video fine, although mine are not entry level as I'm actually a photographer.
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by GABarrie
Speak for yourself, all my DSLRs handle video fine, although mine are not entry level as I'm actually a photographer.

I'm actually a photographer as well. "Handle video fine" is not the same as being the preferred choice for what the OP is doing. I don't think the Canon 5D Mk III's that I own are entry level cameras by any means, and the 5D Mk IIs were the cameras that established the occasional use of DSLRs in broadcast.

The chief reason to use a DSLR in video is to achieve the shallow depth of field of a 35mm film movie camera. The large sensors give a cinematic quality to video. You also have the opportunity to use extremely wide and long lenses. None of those are likely to be advantages to the OP. One of the chief drawbacks is that the mirror locks up and you have to work with the LCD screen as your viewfinder. You also have to deal with moire and rolling shutter effects that are typical of CMOS sensors. And, too, the DSLRs generally have limited recording time (typically around 30 minutes, depending on the flash card used).

There are also mirrorless (DSLM?) single shot cameras that do video better (Sony and Panasonic are obvious manufacturers) than DSLRs.

But for what the OP intends, a decent video camcorder makes a lot more sense.
As long as it records at 30 fps, it's more than enough. Even webcam is able to do this nowadays.