If you had to choose between a Fuzz or Overdrive pedal when playing classic rock covers...which one would you go for?

The reason I ask is basically due to pedalboard room. Going on a road trip and less is better. Currently using overdrive and stacking with an overdrive amp sim pedal, but I'm thinking maybe I should use a Fuzz instead. Probably a personal choice, but does anyone else have any opinions? I don't really understand the difference between the two and seem to get a similar sound out of the fuzz anyway if I dial back the fuzz. Maybe I just answered my question.
You might not have to choose:
http://truetone.com/v3-series/jekyll-hyde/

http://www.redwitchpedals.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=19

There are also compact pedals offered by RedWitch, HotTone, Mooer, etc. that might work for you as well.

But if these options are STILL too big and you must decide, I'd go fuzz.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Overdrive every time. I find that fuzz pedals are generally limited in use and difficult to cut through the mix due to the mid scoop. Overdrive will be more versatile and sit better in the mix and be more use in a classic rock band setting.
Overdrive without a second thought.

I Have both on my pedal board, playing in a mostly classic rock band, I use the overdrive constantly, and usually if I use the distortion pedal at all it[s only one song a night, maybe two if someone has a request for one where I need it. First gig we played in the place we do most of our gigs I was told we would have very limited floor space, so I brought just volume pedal and overdrive. Worked great, but I found out if I'm careful I can use the pedal board, and I still only use the overdrive pedal and echo most of the night.

For classic rock, I rarely need the distortion.. 99% of the time the overdrive does the trick quite well, especially if I can get a little dirty out of the amp without it. Doesn't take much, just a little grit, to make a difference, then the overdrive shines.

So I'd go with an overdrive and never look back.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Unless you're doing guys specifically known for a fuzz tone (Gilmour, Hendrix) I'd say Overdrive.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

WTF?!

You asked about OD vs Fuzz and I post a pair of OD/Dist pedals.

Y'all are kind souls for not smacking me in the head for that.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The Joe Bonamassa fuzz is kind of in between. Maybe you'd want to check it out.

edit: And they make a mini version of it, which is cool since space is an issue on your board.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Unless you're doing guys specifically known for a fuzz tone (Gilmour, Hendrix) I'd say Overdrive.

+1

I like fuzz and if that's what you need it's hard to get it without a fuzz pedal, but an od (or even a not-too-heavy distortion pedal) is probably more versatile.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Are we talking Fuzz Face or Big Muff? Thats a major factor for me. But my distortion pedal cleans up almost as well as my od, so I'd take the fuzz. (If thats not cheating)
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
overdrive. i find fuzz's to be kind of limiting and not a great jack of all trades pedal. with an overdrive you can kind of fuzz up the sound if your amp is already distorted. i've also found that in a pinch you can play hendrix and gilmour using an overdrive and get away with it.
Thanks lads....I've got a Basic audio Gnarly Fuzz in my collection so I'm gunna take that to practise tmrw night and interchange with the overdrive and see what sounds best. Both are pretty upmarket pedals. I was just thinking if the amp sim pedal I use is mild overdrive anyway, then maybe I could get away with using a fuzz with it, stacked or stand alone....for sumthin different. Think I might take both with me anyway in case one carks it while on the road trip. Unlikely. I have a feeling the overdrive might win in the end.
Quote by beatreebor
Overdrive every time. I find that fuzz pedals are generally limited in use and difficult to cut through the mix due to the mid scoop.

The biggest issue with Fuzz, especially vintage fuzz - be that as it may, the Earthquaker Terminal cuts through like a knife thanks to mid range and voice control.

I run both, you gotta have OD - you just gotta. Fuzz for me is a luxury - OD is a must.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
threads like this is the reason i started building the MFZ-1. the Maestro circuit is literally the halfway point between OD and fuzz.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
threads like this is the reason i started building the MFZ-1. the Maestro circuit is literally the halfway point between OD and fuzz.
That one sounds nice.

Given between just an OD or Fuzz, I'd choose OD.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jun 22, 2015,
Quote by Taz9
How about a RAT?

bingo, great call. you can get passable od, distortion and fuzz out of that.

that being said, i haven't tried the maestro tim mentioned- it sounds like it's worth a look as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have been playing long enough to remember when there was no "Overdrive" or "Distortion" pedals, it was all fuzz. Gibson Maestro, Univox, Fuzz Face, Big Muff and the one I owned a Mosrite. Personally I will never use a fuzz pedal again. My answer: overdrive.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jun 23, 2015,
Quote by hawkenstien
If you had to choose between a Fuzz or Overdrive pedal when playing classic rock covers...which one would you go for?

Why would you have to choose? You can get both in a single pedal.

It's been 25 years since "had to choose" was even a thing.
Welcome to UG! You're a bit late for this party though.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
correct. a good flexible OD is used in almost ANY form of music. many ODs these days have mode switches or are flexible enough to be a OD for crunch or a boost, be it a light crunch boost or perhaps even a totally clean boost.

so OD all the way. though some fuzzes can be used as a boost, when you impart THAT much hard, square wave type clipping into the signal, you really cant get as much variation. its going to be all compressed, fizzy, fuzzy, wooly mess. just how much or how less you want it.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)