Hello guys,

I think something went wrong with my guitar-neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6NhOfqN4io

On the E String (1st), I can't play the 12th fret. The string just touches the 13th fret so I only can play the F.. not the E. That's pretty annoying.
Also, if I play from the first fret upwards, there is starting the "string-is-too-close-to-a-fret" noise getting more and more as I approach to the 12th fret.

My problem only occurs on the first string...

What do you think? Is it something with the neck? or maybe a wrong adjusted bridge?

Thanks all
Could just be a high fret. You can check that with a short straight edge, just long enough to cover 3 frets, even a zippo or bic lighter might do it. Put it across all 3 frets, if it rocks on the middle one, it's high. A deep well socket should work, but you'd have to remove a couple of strings.

Look down the neck from the headstock. If you see a slight hump where the neck joins the body, that's a problem. I usually see it on set neck acoustics, but a set neck electric could do the same thing. That makes the frets at and above the 12th higher than the rest, and you get fret buzz. My Takamine acoustic had that problem, I fought it for 3 or 4 years until I finally filed the upper frets down a little at a time until I got them low enough it stopped buzzing, but it would buzz at the 8th fret. Resetting neck relief wouldn't do the trick, so I Had to resort to filing frets.

The only other cure I know of is a neck replacement, and if that's a set neck, looks like it, you can buy a new guitar cheaper than having the neck replaced. If it's still under warranty, I'd send it back. Otherwise, check for a high fret, if it has a hump where the neck joins the body you might be able to file the frets a little, that's about all I know of that will do it.

You could also raise the treble end of the bridge a little, that might help. Shouldn't take much, but check for a high fret first.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Jun 21, 2015,
You've got a high fret, without any doubt. Specifically the 13th fret is high.

Take the guitar to a tech (not one from guitar center) and get them to level it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Hey guys,

thank you very much for your suggestions.
I looked for some high fret but there was none but I noticed, that my string had some sort of bump. That caused the string to drop after the fret so that it automatically touches the next fret.

I changed the strings and now its fine
I still will raise the bridge a little bit.. seems kind of low.

But anyway: Thank you!

same for me too, I can't imagine how that could have happen. I really could feel that bump when sliding my finger along the string.

crazy shit..
Well that confused me, I thought the 1st string would be the high E ;-)
The declining clearance as you go up the neck could also be symptomatic of too much neck relief and not enough saddle height - possibly in combination with a fret hump.

I had the opposite the other day - the neck had gone straighter due to the damp weather, so I lost the 3rd fret on some strings. It might be a tiny bit high, but tweaking the truss rod fixed it. So I would check the neck relief before attacking the frets.
Quote by embi
same for me too, I can't imagine how that could have happen. I really could feel that bump when sliding my finger along the string.

Lots of ways this can happen. I've seen kinked strings right out of the package. They can get that way if someone was careless stringing the guitar. They can get that way if you lean your guitar against an amp or other hard object, face in. And your case can cause those. When I ship or store a guitar, I put a long piece of hard plastic (like the stuff you use for those thin cutting boards?) between the strings and the frets. I've seen too many guitars arrive with frets dented by wound strings. Sometimes the cases will just put too much pressure on the strings/neck and sometimes a fall (landing flat on the guitar's face) will serve to push the string onto the fret, hard.

Not only does the piece of plastic help prevent strings contacting the fret during storage/shipping, but it also helps prevent some weak electric circuits that can be generated by humid environments meeting disintegrating nitrocellulose lacquer, etc.. These can help turn your frets green and scratchy and your strings rusty.
My suspicion is that perhaps you pushed down hard on the 12-th fret to alleviate the buzz and this caused that kink (it is quite a coincidence that it lands exactly on a fret, but it is possibly random).

For fret leveling, some amount of it can be needed on any instrument at any quality (wood is not stable and varies from piece to piece). Careful wood selection and factory set up by a good manufacturer might not ensure that you never need to do this, and (to me) unless it is very severe and frequent I would not suggest returning it under warranty.

It sounds like the guitar might still need a bit of flat filing and fret crowning, unless the kinked string is indeed a complete fix.