I'm a big fan of mammoth necks.
Anyone know if Gibson make/has made any cheaper guitars with the 58 neck profile (not to be confused with the 50's/59 profile).

Seriously gassing for a Solid body Les Paul with a big neck.

Cheers
Nope, R7 and R8 are typically that big, but Gibson USA forgeddaboutit!
Moving on.....
Unless you're willing to go MIJ and not Gibson, I doubt you'll find a cheaper LP with a big baseball neck like that. The 2013 LP Traditional might come close (IIRC that year they advertised them having something like a .900" width at the first fret) but aside from that, most of the Gibby USA guitars are pretty slim compared to a '58 profile.

MIJ wise you might have a bit more wiggle room. Older Greco EGF guitars and Bacchus for new production might be an option to check out. They have pretty thick necks as well and aren't Gibson R* prices.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany Series have a 57 neck - I own a beat up brown one from 2006 that's A) showing lovely signs of stage use and age, and B) has a neck like a Louisville slugger.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
The Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany Series have a 57 neck - I own a beat up brown one from 2006 that's A) showing lovely signs of stage use and age, and B) has a neck like a Louisville slugger.

Pretty sure those came with the standard USA 50s rounded profile. For the Vintage Mahogany they advertise them as being around .820" @ the first fret compared to the 50s rounded on the 2013 Trad (.900" @ first fret) and R8 profiles (.920" +). IMO that's a pretty profound difference.

My R8 has a pretty friggin thick neck. The only neck that I played that is close is the one on my Gladiator LP but it's still quite a bit slimmer (and my Edwards being even slimmer than that).

Another option might be the Joe Bonamassa LPs. Gibson or Epiphone, I hear they have pretty chunky necks.

Here's a quick visual:

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jun 22, 2015,
Interesting stuff. Had a look at the Joe Bonamassa looks cool and has a 59 profile which is closer than any of the other Epi's.

I've been looking at Gibson Les Paul XR-1's. Which apparently have pretty thick necks and are totally solid body as they are pre 1983.

Unfortunately in the UK they are expensive as hell (over £1000 compared to the US where they go for around $600-700)
Don't just go by neck depth either.The profile (shape) has a big influence on just how big the neck feels.
When I 1st got my 2010 R7 it felt significantly bigger than my 2010 Trad+ but when I got my R8 it was even bigger than the R7!
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 23, 2015,