Suggest a book? It'll useful to not only practice technique but also sight reading!

-Advanced Beginner (i.e. not over simplified throughout the book, I need a challenge but not a GREAT challenge)
-Not a method book, just the sheet music and what the focus is
-No TAB, I can read music and would prefer to strengthen my ability. TAB would be distracting
-Etude pieces are hopefully be musical as well as educational, but education is top priority
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
Last edited by eric_wearing at Jun 21, 2015,
Carcassi op. 60 is pretty standard with a good range of difficulties.
Check out Fernando Sor's 12 etudes

http://imslp.nl/imglnks/usimg/e/e3/IMSLP45699-PMLP97592-Sor_-_12_Etudes__Op.6.pdf

there are no fingerings written in which is both good and bad. Good because it forces you to think about them and figure out the best ones yourself, bad because you spend less time playing and more time figuring out fingerings. But I think it's a good exercise and good to be able to do that.

I suggest you start slowly and write in fingerings as you go until the best fingerings become natural. These look deceptively simple, but they can be quite tricky.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Jun 21, 2015,
I've started those. It is indeed tricky lol it forces me to do a lot.

I've heard elsewhere to get http://www.amazon.com/100-Graded-Classical-Guitar-Studies/dp/0711906122

Anyone else agree?
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
I don't have experience with that particular book but I frequently have my beginner students buy Frederick Noad's "Solo Guitar Playing" beginner method book. It is a great book and has helpful comments and judging by the reviews that seems like that would be a good choice. Also maybe look for books by Aaron Shearer, another one of the great classical guitar pedagogues.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Jun 21, 2015,
Sor's etudes are pretty and simple.

Villa Lobos "12 etudes" standard edition has somewhat more advanced etudes and concert pieces.

I wouldn't shy away from a method book, though. Technique is extraordinarily important for classical guitar, and it's really hard to develop without any outside information. "Pumping Nylon" is a standard book that's easy to self-teach from, and has lessons that apply to any kind of guitar.