So I'm planning to buy my first electric axe. I know nothing about essential accessories.
Help me pls. Thank you.
I'd give this a read:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/the_truth_behind_instrument_cables.html

In short, don't buy cables that are incredibly long unless you absolutely need them, otherwise you'll have to spend more money on a buffer so you don't lose signal strength. I wouldn't go for cables that seem incredibly overpriced, because chances are you won't hear much of a difference between those that are middle of the road. But don't go extremely cheap because 1) you really can hear bad interference and shit and 2) they break so easily.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I use to make most of my own cables then I got lazy. I started buying them a few years ago and found there is a lot of good and bad stuff out there. Even the expensive stuff doesn't guarantee you a level of quality. I find the higher end Monster cables to be good but way to expensive. They make a less expensive line but they aren't very good. I also bought a few Mogami cables and was very disappointed. They are noisy when you move around or drag them on a hard wood floor. I am definitely going to blow the cobwebs off my soldering iron and get back to making my own.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jun 23, 2015,
i'm guessing you're in europe? the sommer stuff on thomann is pretty nice and pretty reasonably-priced.

do you have any gear already? if you list your gear we can tell you exactly what you need.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There are plenty of decent brands to choose from: Planet Waves, Sommer, Monster, Fender, Hotline...

Get whatever you can cheapest without cheaping out would be my advice.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
^ yeah getting whichever of the good brands you can get cheapest is normally the way to go. in europe that's likely to be sommer or van damme, maybe klotz (klotz is normally a little more).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm guessing you're in europe? the sommer stuff on thomann is pretty nice and pretty reasonably-priced.

do you have any gear already? if you list your gear we can tell you exactly what you need.

Jackson JS 32 Dinky
Randall RG80E 80W
Just essential gear....
Cables can make a big difference; particularly when recording. If you just want a cable to knock around with, then just about any cable will do. Cables from Planet Waves and Fender are inexpensive and work just fine.

Moving up a few notches, you want a reliable and relatively noise-free cable for gigs. For that, you want to look and the more expensive cables, such as those offered by Monster or Mogami. Both are good, but I am partial to the Mogami Gold cables. They cost more than does a Planet Waves cable, but not too much more.

Recording is where cables make the biggest difference. For that, you want great signal transfer and dead quiet cables. The best one out there seems to be the Mogami Platinum. It is too expensive to use for gigging, but if I were making an album or a demo set to shop around to a record company, I would definitely go with a Mogami Platinum.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by jozef2451
Jackson JS 32 Dinky
Randall RG80E 80W
Just essential gear....

thanks

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sommer_cable_spirit_xs_highflex_30.htm

that should be fine if 3 metres are long enough. though if you're not getting anything else from thomann postage would likely make it prohibitively expensive.

it's probably overthinking it if you're just starting out... anything that's around the £10 mark will likely be just fine, just make sure it's an instrument cable (i.e. not a speaker cable).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Guitar Cables Explained

Should help you get past cable fairy selling snake oil going forward. Watch out for cheapo junk and millionaire wallet extraction merchants.

Hope this helps. Enjoy! There's a lifetime of noodling to be had with an axe that has strings on it!

Cheers.

P.S. We are all noobs really, but some of us realise that wild vibrato, chromatic 'passing notes', whammy dives and endless delay can cover a multitude of sins.
Last edited by SHOOTOUT! at Jun 23, 2015,