I realise this has probably been discussed before, but I can't seem to find anything substantial about it online so though I'd ask here.

Opinions on the Les Paul Less Plus? I've been playing for years, but in the last 6 months have started to play lead and was curious about this guitar. The weight and looks appeal to me (as well as the moderate price tag for an LP), but I'm just worried I won't be able to get the sound I'm after. I'm hoping to achieve the cliche 80s rock sound (as cheesy and obvious as that is).

Anyone played one before? Let me know - don't want to drop £1200 on a guitar that sounds crap but looks pretty haha.

Thanks,
Jamie
I don't have too much experience with the 57' Humbuckers - If you were absolutely looking for screaming 80's you can get a LP with 498/500T or BB Pros, PAF's if you really wanted to break the bank and go vintage. I find that most of the LP tone comes from the weight and the wood, most LP's have a growl that will get you at least close to that 80's squeal your looking for.

But this guitar has a slim back with a cutaway, makes me think that it wont have that LP heavy tone that so many of the greats in the 80's were known for.

heavy ass Gibson -> Marshall ...... there's your 80's tone.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
I don't have too much experience with the 57' Humbuckers - If you were absolutely looking for screaming 80's you can get a LP with 498/500T or BB Pros, PAF's if you really wanted to break the bank and go vintage. I find that most of the LP tone comes from the weight and the wood, most LP's have a growl that will get you at least close to that 80's squeal your looking for.

But this guitar has a slim back with a cutaway, makes me think that it wont have that LP heavy tone that so many of the greats in the 80's were known for.

heavy ass Gibson -> Marshall ...... there's your 80's tone.

Less wood won't make much difference in tone to worry about (but there's a huge argument in itself about that haha). The pickups will sound pretty good, but if they don't sound perfect then just remember you can always swap them out pretty easily.

The amp is always a good shout however. It defines more of your sound than the guitar ever will. Perhaps look at splitting your budget towards a cheaper but nice guitar (so many nice guitars <£500) and a nice 15w valve amp and a sweet chorus effect for dat 80s clean sound.

I'd recommend heading to a decent guitar shop to at least try out the model or guitars around a similar price range. A nice Fat Strat, SG or Superstrat might help and you might just prefer them, instead of placing down over a grand on the LP.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by jamiepeel2
I realise this has probably been discussed before, but I can't seem to find anything substantial about it online so though I'd ask here.

Opinions on the Les Paul Less Plus? I've been playing for years, but in the last 6 months have started to play lead and was curious about this guitar. The weight and looks appeal to me (as well as the moderate price tag for an LP), but I'm just worried I won't be able to get the sound I'm after. I'm hoping to achieve the cliche 80s rock sound (as cheesy and obvious as that is).

I've tried out several of these (for some reason our local GC has three on the wall). It's comfortable in terms of weight; the body is right around SG thickness, and they've further drilled it out (nine circular holes). It borders on neck-heavy. The new brass nut is a decent idea, and does no harm. It has *real* pearl inlays (the $6K reissues have plastic). You can remove the pickguard and not leave holes behind.

Okay, that's about it for the good news.

The fretboard is wider but the string spacing stayed the same. Gibson claims increased playing comfort. I think it would have been more comfortable if the string spacing had increased with the neck width.

It comes with the MinETuneGforce auto-tune thingie. I'm SO not a fan of these things. In a loud environment (gigs, for example), it gets confused and sometimes can't tune. It's highly limited in regard to alternate tunings. It's not particularly accurate as a tuning device. It can take longer than you expect. They break, and the tuners on them can break if you try to manual tune without taking precautions first.

It has lower frets (Gibson has lowered the frets on its guitars by about 27% across the board this year). You'll be refretting sooner than you would with a guitar with Jumbos, and if you like bending with jumbos, you'll hate Gibson's new frets.

The back is made up of "multi-matched" pieces of mahogany.

Personal comments:

I don't think this guitar really carries on what I'm used to in a Les Paul. It's not overly cheaply done, but the grades of wood used aren't the best in the first place; it's designed to save weight and costs. For Gibson. This is not the first choice for Les Paul sound and sustain.

It's not a great value and it's not a great Les Paul. The best that can be said for it is that it's relatively cheap and it says "Gibson" on the headstock.

If I were buying, I'd go with a Carvin CS6 (more expensive, but solid body and the woods Carvin uses are extraordinary) or an Agile AL-3200 (much less expensive, but solid body with a shaved neck heel like the Gibson Axcess and a tummy cut, and neck through construction!). Both are available with jumbo frets, flatter radius, ebony fretboards, real MOP inlays.

The Carvin is available in a 24-fret version and is, without question, far better in terms of quality and finish. It, too, has a thinner body than the standard Gibson LP, but it's a solid body guitar (no cheesing or chambering) and it has a very smooth neck heel.

The Agile will not make you happy where weight is concerned (there IS a custom version available with a chambered upper bout), but it's awesome in terms of upper fret access and the expected Les Paul sound and sustain.

Disclaimer: I have three mid-50's Les Paul Customs (purchased cheap and stored), a bunch of other Gibsons (all but one built pre-1980) and one Gibson Axcess Custom that's now about 6 years old. I have four Agiles, three of which are AL (les paul-ish) series guitars. One is a neck-through with a smooth neck heel, one has a "tilted neck heel" and a 24-fret board, one has a standard neck heel. All are solid body guitars, all are heavy and all do "Les Paul" as well or better than a lot of the gibson offerings. I also have seven Carvins, some dating back to 1988.

Another comment: A '78 Les Paul 25/50 Anniversary model is on my short list, but perhaps the best Les Pauls (this will not make you happy in terms of weight) are the early '80's Ibanez AR-300 and the Yamaha SG/SBG 2000. These are guitars with smooth neck heels, double cutaways, thick solid mahogany bodies, heavy hardware (both actually have 10.5 ounce solid brass sustain blocks mounted into a rout in the body with the bridge screwed into that), excellent pickups, 14" radius ebony fretboards with real MOP and abalone inlays and big meaty frets. The Yamaha's neck-through construction makes it one of the best-sustaining guitars ever built.
what amp are you using? that'll massively affect your ability to get 80s tones. Don't get me wrong- having the right style of pickups (and guitar) will help, but pickups can be swapped (plus a lot of 80s guys used les pauls, at least at times, so I don't think a les paul should be a massive problem). if the '57s are too low output a boss sd1 used as a boost will help (assuming you have a tube amp which is aimed at those 80s tones).

i haven't tried the less plus that's just general advice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't have any experience with the Less Paul, but I was lucky enough to babysit a Les Paul Custom Lite for a few days. I was really impressed by the playability of the Custom Lite. I have never been a LP fan because they never felt right to me. Weight is not really a huge issue for me (my Explorer weighs in at more than 11 pounds), but the thickness of the LP design was a uncomfortable. The Custom Lite, though, felt as comfortable as a Strat or an SG. The back even had a body contour, which was kind of surprising to me, but felt great. The coil split is a handy feature, and I obviously did not miss that other tone knob, since I've never had one on my Explorer. If I had the itch to get a Les Paul (and if I had an extra $2,000 lying around), I'd definitely be buying one from the Lite/Less series.
i am generally a fan of gibson, but there is NO way in hell i would get any of the 2015's.

the mini-whateverthe****-tune feature is TERRIBLE. i demo'd one for a bit, and it wasn't graceful at all. it takes forever, i am faster at tuning strings relatively to one than the damn minituners.

the neck is subjective. i didn't like it at all, but thats more of a personal thing. BUT it certainly does not feel like a more traditional les paul.

the brass nut is IMO a nice touch.

i would go back a year or two and pass on the 2015's.

(FWIW i have seven gibsons, noting crazy high end, but i love them all)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the replies everyone Think I'm going to keep looking and do a load more research. Tried a Less Plus today and it just didn't feel right to me (the weight was a bonus though, I always found LPs too heavy).