I was just wondering that since Emin7 is just made up of:
E, G, B & D

could you just play all the open strings (in standard tuning) except for the A?
I've tried it but it doesn't really sound right.

thanks
You could, but the chord has a built-in dissonance in it (E-D), so it might not be the most pleasant of sounds to let completely open stings resonate so freely. (Incidentally, the consonances - thirds, sixths, fifths, fourths - are what make open tunings so vibrant. Constructive interference.)

I'd suggest 022030, 075700, 079787 (bar) instead.

Edit: bah, how can people forget the octave and unison? Anyways, those are also consonances.
Last edited by NeoMvsEu at Jun 22, 2015,
That open voicing sounds terrible, but it's technically correct. The suggestions above are better.
^This. There are tons of voicing options for most chords, play around a bit and find what you like. The right notes are the right notes, the arrangement of them is at your discretion for the most part.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by theawesomeginge
I was just wondering that since Emin7 is just made up of:
E, G, B & D

could you just play all the open strings (in standard tuning) except for the A?
I've tried it but it doesn't really sound right.

thanks

If you were to play that A, it's essentially an open Em 11. Your problem is that the E and A and D occupy so much of the bass ranges, before you ever get to the 3rd, which is in the middle voices. In addition, one of the notes (A, the 11th) occludes the feel of the 7th by being so much in the bass. But even if it didn't have the A, the 7th sounds in the bass before the 3rd ever does, this can bury the point of the chord, which is the 7th.

Sonically this has a muddy bass feel. Another example is if you play C with an open E 6th string. It sounds wrong, but its actually a note in the C chord.

You're on the right track, but the way you play chords an still sound good or bad depending upon how the voices are stacked.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 22, 2015,
Try playing it higher and it will sound better. I guess the bad sound comes from the minor 7th interval in the low register.

Also remember that you don't always have to play full 6 string voicings. Remove some notes and it may sound less muddy.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
That's one voicing, yes. But there are many, many other voicings. One of my favorite voicings is actually:

This voicing allows you to do some interesting things with extended chords. You could put it on the 2nd fret (high E string) to make it a Em9 OR move your 3rd finger up to the 2nd fret (G string) and 4th finger on the 3rd fret (B string) to make it a Em11. Etc., etc., etc. The point is, there's possibilities, and this is just one voicing. Other voicings offer other opportunities for extended chords, as well.
^kill the two outer strings and you've got a handy dandy invertible movable drop 2.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by Jet Penguin
^kill the two outer strings and you've got a handy dandy invertible movable drop 2.

Yup, that too.
The reason why it doesn't "sound right" because the open strings each have a lot of overtones that are very present and clash with each other as you attempt to play the open E-7, or E-11 if you include the A.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
So long as you can justify it, you can spell a chord how you want. It all depends on how you want it to funcion in your song