Track title: Dissenter
Link to track: https://soundcloud.com/andresjam/andres-dissenter

Hey there dudes,

I've been stuck in the house this weekend and decided to recorded another track.
This one is part of my "Diss-" track series, haha. This one is called Dissenter. I was aiming for something thrashy with 80s style leads. Not sure if I was successful there, but oh well . I finally got some use (emphasis on some) out of my vocal microphones. I'm not very confident about my voice, but I'll try to incorporate it more.

I'd appreciate if you guys can let me know what you think about the track/mix/instrumentation/structure or otherwise.

C4C: Please leave a link to your forum post or track and I will be sure to return the favor!

Thanks so much!
Hello.

Nice work.

It didnt really make me think 80's thrash - but I enjoyed it all the same. The riffs are cool and the leads add a nice dimension. I particularly liked the little mini solo around 1:05ish - that was really sweet. The end was a little abrupt though.

Mix wise, I think it could have done with the kick being a little lower as it dominated a bit too much for me. The vocals sounded cool from what I could hear but they are way too low - dont be shy dude - crank em up. know what it's like when you lack confidence in your voice - you feel like burying it. But it sounded well done and could easily come up some to take its rightful place.

Cool track, an enjoyable listen.

Cheers
Well, it DOES give off a distinct 80's vibe, complete with long hair and spandex.

Lead feels a little buried, more presence/volume?

Some nice shred work there, very EVH like IMO.

One thing about the mix, if you really want to go the full monty, reduce the drums in the mix, add some OTT reverb, that'll get that 80's production as well, it's like your guitar tones are very 80's, but the drums are sounding too clean and hifi for a proper 80's style track, mind, I'm saying this with early Metallica in mind, specifically a mix like Kill 'Em All.

C4C?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33465378#post33465378
Quote by RabidBadger
Hello.

Nice work.

It didnt really make me think 80's thrash - but I enjoyed it all the same. The riffs are cool and the leads add a nice dimension. I particularly liked the little mini solo around 1:05ish - that was really sweet. The end was a little abrupt though.

Mix wise, I think it could have done with the kick being a little lower as it dominated a bit too much for me. The vocals sounded cool from what I could hear but they are way too low - dont be shy dude - crank em up. know what it's like when you lack confidence in your voice - you feel like burying it. But it sounded well done and could easily come up some to take its rightful place.

Cool track, an enjoyable listen.

Cheers

Hehe, I've had these mics for almost two years now, and I finally forced myself to talk into them. I kind of feel like my voice is the weakest link as far as musicality is concerned, so it's been convenient for me to avoid up until now. I can carry a melody but my range is pretty limited. I want to be more inclusive with it though because vocals can really add an interesting texture that instruments can't really emulate. As much as I like writing instrumentals, I think a lot of listeners probably find them boring. It'll also be interesting to add writing lyrics into the entire process for me. Baby steps I guess, haha.

Quote by GS LEAD 5

Well, it DOES give off a distinct 80's vibe, complete with long hair and spandex.

Lead feels a little buried, more presence/volume?

Some nice shred work there, very EVH like IMO.

One thing about the mix, if you really want to go the full monty, reduce the drums in the mix, add some OTT reverb, that'll get that 80's production as well, it's like your guitar tones are very 80's, but the drums are sounding too clean and hifi for a proper 80's style track, mind, I'm saying this with early Metallica in mind, specifically a mix like Kill 'Em All.

C4C?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...78#post33465378

You brought up some very interesting points. I do think the drums sound a little anachronistic for the style I was going for. I don't really have any good vintage sounding kit samples, but next time I'll look into applying some filters to shape the drum track a little more.

Thanks so much dudes!
Last edited by silvadolla at Jun 22, 2015,
thanks for the critique again on my last track they are very helpful. Dissenter has a very punchy rhythmic tone that really cuts through and makes you bang your head around a little I enjoyed that the whole way through the song. Ok 0:38-1:15 really great tone on the lead guitar here, and the phrasing specifically at 0:54 to 1:04 before the great tapping lick, really brings out a visceral feeling in me gut I loved it. Your voice with the effect on it breaking through sporadically through the track added a hip flavor kind of like I was at a swingers metal bar.
Now 1:30 is a good experimental lick with some outside playing and it got my attention and sounded good until 1:37 1:38 that flat note bend or whatever jolted me, I felt like if I was having sex to your song and I climaxed at that part id feel very weird and sad inside nonetheless another great fun recording overall cheers .
Last edited by Fourfourforever at Jun 23, 2015,