So after seeing the Vid here: https://youtu.be/wpmjaymTWIs

I figured it was worth a quick try as I have been very unhappy with my humbucker tones.

Pups are the Epiphone BHC types I got second hand to throw in a project guitar. Chrome covers.

Even rotated the neck pup and there was not a bit of change. I recorded the clean before the change, same strings and all without hearing a difference after changes. Not sure if it is the chrome covers doing this, but even adjusting the pole pieces prior to taking them out did not seem to make any difference in sound or volume.

Just curious as to why this is. Are the chrome covers negating the poles missing/being adjusted? Going to put it back together right now and maybe bypass the tone pot to see if I can get a better sound.
The link I got is about a tube amp build.

I tried a "Z coil" set up recently, with three poles in one coil and three in the other.- It is somewhat similar to removing all the poles from one coil. It didn't have much effect on tone at all with the pickup with which I tried it. I think the extent of the effect would depend on the pickups, and maybe yours are similar to mine in that respect - insensitive to that kind of change. If you think about it, it isn't unexpected, because the pickup inductance isn't changing (er, I think) so its resonance frequency isn't changing either.

The (full) covers could be at least part of the problem - they are a deal breaker for me.

I think that disconnecting the tone pot is a worthwhile thing to try. You can always convert it to "no-load" if it does the trick. I would also be removing the pickup covers.

What is the amp? - It might be too warm to pick up the difference.
Quote by bass.desires
So after seeing the Vid

I figured it was worth a quick try as I have been very unhappy with my humbucker tones.

Even rotated the neck pup and there was not a bit of change.

So the moral of this story is that not every youtube video is worthwhile.
What kind of an amp are you running these pickups through?
Last edited by dspellman at Jun 22, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
So the moral of this story is that not every youtube video is worthwhile.
What kind of an amp are you running these pickups through?

^^^ This!

Most of those super modify magic tricks are just nonsense. Take a hard look at the amp and also the fingers of the guy holding the guitar.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I guess the 'copy' 'paste' still had the vid I shared on FB. I know the fella gets a lot of hate and I don't agree with everything he says but figured it was worth a try.

https://youtu.be/6g8qF9vC11s

I recorded clean directly through my USB interface to my laptop so I could hear the clean tone. I figured clean would be the best way to detect changes in tone.

I am thinking the covers are killing it, in the video there is an audible change in sound from those pickups, before and after....or am I crazy?

I am looking into possibly changing the cap on the tone pot as I have been doing some reading about the capacitor making a difference even at '10'.

Link: Does Cap Value matter with tone at 10?

Thoughts?
Last edited by bass.desires at Jun 22, 2015,
Ignore. Guitar electronics are not your problem.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
He uses a pick to demonstrate the humbucker sound, but fingerpicking for the "Tele" sound. Seems like that explains the "difference" in tone.

Dude needs to learn how to be more succinct. 13 minutes for THAT?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
I never noticed the finger thing. (facepalm) But, yes I agree he rambles a bit. I usually skip around his videos to see what he 'really' has to say. I am going to put the pups back and hope changing the tone setup. (Going to swap caps first) will help the pickups. I am quite broke and hate spending money I don't have to if I can fix for $5 or free.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Sorry for a semi-pointless post here.

Edit: That day, I changed the pups back and as wild as it sounds, the cap made a difference. I am not sure what kind of cap or material it was, but i prefer the new one. Only had a ceramic disk style on hand but I like the sound much better now. I really never thought the cap made a difference at '10' but it seems to.
Last edited by bass.desires at Jun 25, 2015,