I heard Rodney Crowell's Stars On the Water recently and it's got a great little guitar solo I'd like to try. I've laid down tracks for the drums, bass and acoustic guitar, but haven't gotten around to tackling the guitar solo.

If anyone is familiar with the song and could tab the guitar solo, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Background info from Wikipedia:

The album Rodney Crowell was released in 1981 (see 1981 in country music) by Warner Bros. Records and was his last album on that label before switching to Columbia. The first album Crowell produced by himself, it reached No. 47 on the Top Country Albums chart and No. 105 on the Billboard 200 albums chart. The songs "Stars on the Water" and "Victim or a Fool" were released as singles. "Stars on the Water" reached No. 30 on the Hot Country Songs chart, Crowell's highest charting song up to that point. It peaked at No. 21 on the Canadian country charts.

Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks again!
Do you think this is being played with a slide, i,m guessing it is. or maybe a slide and picking, i,ll have a mess around with it and see if i can get it, did you have anything for the solo?
country music ain't my style of music, but i like solos,
Last edited by ayreon77 at Jun 24, 2015,
Here's if you don't have a slide (like me). Country uses a lot of chicken picking as well (picking notes with fingers also), in case you ever wondered how they manage to get those notes to sound so clean and separate from one another, aside having just good old fretboard finger releasing skills. Try using the chicken picking when changing strings in places, and see which method you prefer.

Youtube a few chicken picking tutorials:
Albert Lee, Johnny Hiland, Steve Trovato.
e|-------------------------------------------------------|---------------------10--------------------------------------------|-
B|---------10---12-b(14-14-14)-14-r-(12)-p-10--10h12--10-|----sl-10---12-b(14)----12-b(14)--12b(14)-r(12)-p-10----12----10---|-
G|------------9------------------------------------------|-(6)/9----9------------------------------------------11----11------|-
D|-9-b(11)-----------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------------------|-
A|-------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------------------|-
E|-------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------------------|-

*(pre bend up, then release)
e|---------------------10---------------------------|------------12b(14)-12--10p9---------------------------------|-
B|----sl-10---12-b(14)----12b(14)--*b14-r-(12)-p-10-|----sl-10--------------------12-b(14)--12b(14)r-(12)-p-10----|-
G|-(6)/9----9---------------------------------------|-(6)/9----9-----------------------------------------------11-|-
D|--------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------------|-
A|--------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------------|-
E|--------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------------|-

*(pre bend up, then release)
e|----------10--------------------------------------------sl-|-5-------------------------------------|-
B|-12-b(14)----12-b(14)--12b(14)-r(12)-p-10----12----10---\--|---*b7-r-(5)-p-2-5-b(7)-7-r(6)--6--7---|-
G|------------------------------------------11----11---------|---------------------------------------|-
D|-----------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------|-
A|-----------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------|-
E|-----------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------|-

e|--------------------------------------|-----------5-7-b(9)--7-b(9)-r(7)-p 5---7---5---|----------------------------||
B|-5b(7)-r(5)-p-2--5p2-sl---------------|--------*5---------------------------7---7-----|-7---5-b(7)-7--sl---sl------||
G|---------------------/5-p-4-p-2---2---|-4*b(6)*---------------------------------------|---6----------6\4--6\4--2---||
D|--------------------------------4-----|-----------------------------------------------|----------------------------||
A|--------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------|----------------------------||
E|--------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------|----------------------------||
*Bend G string with R finger (index finger at 2nd fret),
*Then reposition fretting hand so index finger now at 5th fret.
*(use picking hand to mute strings during repositioning).
Edit: Oops sorry Ayreon, I've only just clicked that you were going to do it.
(guilty half post reader that I am)
I'll leave mine still available if only for interest,
but they're so close yours deserves the honours... cheers Ayreon!
Last edited by tonibet72 at Jun 25, 2015,

hold
                  bend
e|-------------b--|--|--rb-|------h-----s-|--------------b-10--b---p---------|-------------|
B|------10----12-12-12-12--|-10-10-12-10\-|-------10----12----12-12-10----10-|----12----10-|
G|--s------9---------------|--------------|--s-------9-----------------11----|-11----11----|
D|-9\11--------------------|--------------|-9\11-----------------------------|-------------|
A|-------------------------|--------------|----------------------------------|-------------|
E|-------------------------|--------------|----------------------------------|-------------|

b
e|-------------b-10--b------s-|------------12-12--10-9--b---rbp------|--b-10--b---brp------|----------|
B|------10----12----12-12-10\-|--s---10----------------12--12--10----|-12----12--12--10----|-12----10-|
G|--s------9------------------|-9\11----11------------------------11-|------------------11-|----11----|
D|-9\11-----------------------|--------------------------------------|---------------------|----------|
A|----------------------------|--------------------------------------|---------------------|----------|
E|----------------------------|--------------------------------------|---------------------|----------|

e|----------------|---------------------|------------b--brp------|----------|---------|
B|-10-br---b----b-|-brp---p-------------|--------10-12-12--10----|-12----10-|---------|
G|----9--6-9-10-9-|-9--6-9-6----6--p----|--s---9--------------11-|----11----|-11----9-|
D|----------------|----------9----9-7-7-|-9\11-------------------|----------|----11---|
A|----------------|---------------------|------------------------|----------|---------|
E|----------------|---------------------|------------------------|----------|---------|

e|-------------|-------|
B|-7-----------|-------|
G|---rb-rbp----|-------|
D|---9--9--7---|-9---7-|
A|-----------9-|---9---|
E|-------------|-------|

ha ha dude you beat me too it, but i,ve done it now so you can have 2 too look at.
Last edited by ayreon77 at Jun 24, 2015,
no put it back up tonibet72, then he can go off the 2 of them, he may prefer yours than mine.

oh i get it its still there yea cool, good tabbing too mate. i don,t care if someone does it before me, that's what the forums here for to help anyone that needs help with tabs.
Last edited by ayreon77 at Jun 25, 2015,
Thanks for posting the tabs. Much appreciated!
Last edited by mcnessa at Jul 2, 2015,