I'm moving to England in July for at least 6 months. All of my guitars are too big to fit in my luggage and don't want the hassle of guitars on planes. So I figured I might be able to fit a 3/4 guitar in there. Maybe 1/2, but I don't know if that's something an adult could play. Being completely new to these "child guitars", does anyone know more about these? Because it's more a gimmick than a serious addition to the arsenal, I want to keep it as cheap as possible without losing quality too much. Other options (foldable guitars?) are also welcome. Was thinking about taking strings of one of my stratocasters and take the neck off, but that's a hassle as well, since I have to bring a screw driver with me to put the thing back together (I'm lazy).

Thanks
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
If you're going to buy a new guitar, don't buy e small enough to pack. Save your space and buy one in England. That way, you could find setting you wouldn't normally find here in the USA- a really cool souvenir.

And ship it home or sell it at trip' end.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I personally would want to bring one of my own guitars, so I would probably take the neck off and set it back up in England; however, if you are looking to buy a new guitar, I could see buying in England being the cheapest route.

For what it's worth, I bought a Taylor GS mini, and that thing sounds and plays very well.
England has guitars too?

Get something second hand when you're over here, expect to sell it and take a 20-30% hit on value; that's still cheaper than getting a (probably terrible) mini guitar.

You can also have a go with something totally different. Normally play metal - try a hollowbody? Jazz fan - pick up a cheap V?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Yeah, you're lazy. A screwdriver is a lot cheaper than a special-purpose guitar. I would go the take-down route. It takes me less than 5 minutes to put a neck back on. Why buy a guitar you don't particularly want?

The Voyage Air is a folding guitar designed to be cabin-friendly.
3/4 guitars are pretty awful. Just take a Tele in a soft case and carry on. Done this many times with no issues.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Get any regular guitar, check it at the ticket counter just before you board the plane. That's how everyone else does it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Reinforcing my suggestion- since trashedlostfdup agreed- there really are some nice companies over there that simply don't ship here.

In 2013, I imported a Fret-King from London to Dallas, and I don't regret it. I want more but they're hard to find in the USA, for obvious reasons.

Burns Guitars are a prominent English brand as well. Patrick Eggle is British. Then there is Brian May (though they're easy enough to buy over the Internet).

Then there's all the luthiers over there...and all the brands that get imported to the UK that haven't cracked the US market.

God only knows what is in the used guitar sections of their stores.

I could go on, but the point is, if you MUST buy a new guitar to play in England, do it in England, and get yourself a serious instrument.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 24, 2015,
Voyage-Air makes folding guitars. I've tried a couple of them (briefly) at the NAMM show, and they come back up pretty much in tune (and these were display guitars that had been through the mill) after having been folded and carted around. Generally a high quality setup for traveling. http://www.voyageairguitar.com/

They come in both acoustic and electric versions.

But you could also get a "real" guitar that will work as a travel guitar. A standard guitar will run about 41-42" in length, but a headless guitar will manage a full 24-fret 25.5" scale in just 31" (with a corresponding compression of case length). Carvin is building the Holdsworth Headless and the newer Vader series Kiesel guitars in headless, and they're doing so in 6, 7 and 8-string versions, with the latter two available with 27" scales as well. Serious guitars. If you're buying one of these, you're not buying it solely as a travel guitar, and you'll likely want to supplant one of your current guitars given its cost. But they're spectacular guitars in both sound and execution, and worth a look. A bonus is that the weight ranges from about 5 to 6.5 lbs. www.carvinguitars.com

Last edited by dspellman at Jun 24, 2015,
Personally, I would just scout eBay and Gumtree for a used guitar. I'm sure you could find a Yamaha Pacifica for £50 or less.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Or, again, every airline has carry on checking. For Delta, it's free. You just drop it off at plane-side and pick it up when you land.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Or, again, every airline has carry on checking. For Delta, it's free. You just drop it off at plane-side and pick it up when you land.

But then you can't play Kumbaya for all the passengers mid-flight. Or accompany a Singing Nun.

Carry-on checking is pretty much the same as checking your bags in terms of handling and potential breakage. The good news is that it's less likely to be routed to Boston when you're headed for Brunei.