Hi, I have this Peavey EXP guitar since 3 years, it was abandoned until 1 year ago when I started playing guitar, cleaned it and got its string changed etc... Anyways, the pickups have rust on them and when I "Idle"(Not be playing), there always is a static electricity sound, something like buzzing though I am quite sure it cannot be from the amplifier, a Fender Mustang I, on top of that, when I play two strings at once which is obviously necessary, a weird background buzzing sound interferes with the sound of the strings making the sound quite bad, everything sounds degraded to be honest. Is it the pickups? I thought of buying new ones, but I don't want to do something I will regret, I need to be sure what I have to do.
Help please!
Last edited by Dread602 at Jun 23, 2015,
that sounds like you might also need to clean the input jack on both the guitar and the amp as well as check out the pick-ups, try that first and see what happens.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
that sounds like you might also need to clean the input jack on both the guitar and the amp as well as check out the pick-ups, try that first and see what happens.

Cleaned both using sandpaper, I have no idea what you mean by checking out the pickups, worried I might mess up something, I have bad experience with guitar hardware D:
What I meant by checking out the pick-ups was doing any maintenance to them or replacing them. And when I said the input jacks, I meant the actual plug hole, not the cable (I'm not saying you're lying, it's just that I've seen people misunderstand that before).

Also are the pick-ups single coil or humbucker? Single coils have a tendency to buzz a little bit naturally.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96
What I meant by checking out the pick-ups was doing any maintenance to them or replacing them. And when I said the input jacks, I meant the actual plug hole, not the cable (I'm not saying you're lying, it's just that I've seen people misunderstand that before).

Also are the pick-ups single coil or humbucker? Single coils have a tendency to buzz a little bit naturally.

Yes, I cleaned the input jacks of both the amplifier and the guitar, I have 3 single coils. I cannot do any replacement right now because I am quite short on money, any other way of finding the source of the problem would be appreciated.
Thank you for keeping up with this thread
More questions:
Are you facing the amp while playing?
Have you taken the pick guard off and looked at the wiring?
Also can you describe these various buzzes?

also, when not playing, a small buzz is normal (at least I get it too so I don't worry about it).
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96
More questions:
Are you facing the amp while playing?
Have you taken the pick guard off and looked at the wiring?
Also can you describe these various buzzes?

also, when not playing, a small buzz is normal (at least I get it too so I don't worry about it).

I use headphones to play most of the time, the amplifier faces me when playing, yeah.
I did, the wiring does not look it has any problems to be honest, though it is not the best from my point of view.
To be honest, I think it is hum now after doing quite the read about this sound.
So, if hum is normal, is it normal to have this weird 3rd sound come in when playing 2 strings, it sounds really bad when it interferes.
At this point I'd suggest getting a professional to look at it and maybe re-solder the connections.
Another thing is are you using an instrument cable or a speaker cable instead? speaker cables aren't shielded and can get various electromagnetic interference.

I'm seriously unsure of what's happening so at this point I'm going to suggest you ask in the electric guitar forum because I do not have the knowledge to help you anymore.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96
At this point I'd suggest getting a professional to look at it and maybe re-solder the connections.
Another thing is are you using an instrument cable or a speaker cable instead? speaker cables aren't shielded and can get various electromagnetic interference.

I'm seriously unsure of what's happening so at this point I'm going to suggest you ask in the electric guitar forum because I do not have the knowledge to help you anymore.

I use an instrument cable, that is what I know should be used. I will take it to the shop soon and have them look at it.
Thank you for your kind help