(Peavey Ultra, not Ultra Plus). I just can't get a good tone out of this thing. I'm coming from a single channel JCA 20 watt (which doesn't have near as much gain or versatility as the Peavey Ultra). My JCA roars with an OD in front of it, but,

No matter what I do to the Ultra it's one extreme or the other, not matter if it's just a nudge of the EQ or not.

I either get this super compressed sound that sounds tiny when chords are played, or I get this woofing no-gain dog with it's balls cut off sound. When the EQ is set at middle, it's an incredibly nasal, nails on chalk board, no bass whatsoever tone.

Do I need to get an EQ pedal and run it through the effects loop? I thought the Rockmaster active pre-amp EQ was supposed to be fairly great on these things?

It's either super compressed gain out the wazoo buzzfest or a wet fart. Not a whole lot of info on these amps, but I know people have used them with good effect.
how old are the tubes in it?
What cab/speakers are you using?

The ultra sounds pretty good when it has good tubes in it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
how old are the tubes in it?
What cab/speakers are you using?

The ultra sounds pretty good when it has good tubes in it.

Well the tubes LOOK fine, but I did buy it used. I suppose I'll end up retubing at some point, but I don't think the tubes are the huge problem right now.

I'm testing it on a Jet City 1x12 extension cabinet I have while I wait for someone to buy or trade me my JCA 20 watt 1x12 and 1x12 extension for a good 2x12 or decent 4x12.

I'm just not getting that growl I expected.
It more than likely needs new tubes. Slap a set of JJ 6L6 tubes in it. I like JJ tubes in those amps, they go nicely in the preamp too, though I also like slapping a Tung-Sol in the V1 in Peavey amps. That should wake the amp up something fierce.

Being that it is a peavey and you bought it used - clean the f.x. loop on that bad boy with some contact cleaner. Spray some contact cleaner / deoxit in the jacks and plug - unplug a cable into it a few times.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
It more than likely needs new tubes. Slap a set of JJ 6L6 tubes in it. I like JJ tubes in those amps, they go nicely in the preamp too, though I also like slapping a Tung-Sol in the V1 in Peavey amps. That should wake the amp up something fierce.

Being that it is a peavey and you bought it used - clean the f.x. loop on that bad boy with some contact cleaner. Spray some contact cleaner / deoxit in the jacks and plug - unplug a cable into it a few times.

I was gonna suggest new preamp tubes, especially if you have no idea what's in them. They can really make a big difference, especially when there used to be junk in the amp. A full retube is always a good idea when buying used, especially when you don't have any idea how old the tubes are. The Ultra should RIP, especially with an OD in front of it.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by ThunderPunk

What the hell? Why did plugging and unplugging the FX loop channels make the compression go away? I mean, thats good that everything is the same volume now. Is that typical of Peavey amps?
[quote="'[Parry"]']What the hell? Why did plugging and unplugging the FX loop channels make the compression go away? I mean, thats good that everything is the same volume now. Is that typical of Peavey amps?

Oxidation builds up on metal connections on the inputs and makes the amps go all wonky. Putting a 1/4 jack in and out of it helps knock some of that oxidation off. A good de-oxidation spray cleaner for electrical devices helps clean them up. It happens on pretty much every Peavey amp that I am familiar with. Even the 5150/6505 series amps have this issue.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
well, its probably the tubes. tubes LOOK fine, unless they are red-plating or totally dead. they vary in color, light, etc. 99% of the time, you can't see bad tubes. they do make all of the difference in the world.

also you are using it through a 1x12" jet city cab? you are pumping out 120watts, and i am NOT sure that the stock JCA speaker can handle that. you need a decent cab.

+1 (again) to those who advise cleaning the jacks. i would also clean the tube sockets. spray a little bit on the pins of the tubes, work in and out a few times, and you are golden. i have saved myself some money a few times doing that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jun 24, 2015,
Shut up and play the damned thing.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by trashedlostfdup

also you are using it through a 1x12" jet city cab? you are pumping out 120watts, and i am NOT sure that the stock JCA speaker can handle that. you need a decent cab.

Edited for perceived intent.

[quote="'[Parry"]']Well the tubes LOOK fine, but I did buy it used. I suppose I'll end up retubing at some point, but I don't think the tubes are the huge problem right now.

If the unit is functional, visual inspection of tubes tells you nothing. You have a tonal deficit but you don't think that tubes are the problem? I'm having a hard time following that logic.

You might not WANT the tubes to be the problem, but it's likely that they are.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 24, 2015,
Switching my v1 JJ for a long-plate JJ made everything sooooooo much more 3D sounding.
Quote by diabolical
Preamp tubes for sure but I'll probably go full retube on this one. I never liked the Ultra though, neither the XXX, I find them voiced all kinds of wrong.

they take some getting used to. the tone controls on the crunch and ultra channels are active but only past 5 on the dial. this can make it tougher to dial in the sounds especially if you don't want the active boost. took me a while to get it and it is fussy for sure. on the other hand you can get tones out of it that aren't really possible from regular passive amps. i canget a very humbucker like tone out of a regular strat pickup.
I like the XXX, awesome tech-death tones, black metal too.
Well the power tubes are first on my list to change, I thought they were JJ's because I noticed the pre's were all JJ's. They are Groove Tubes (blech). I'm going to get some of that cleaner and go over all the jacks and re seat the tubes after using that cleaner on the pins and doing some in and out and letting it dry.

No one seems to want a JCA combo and extension so I may just use the combo as an extension along with the actual extension cab.

Thanks for the tips guys. I found that some "extreme" eq settings actually get good voicings. It's a different head than I'm used too, that is for sure.
One of the Groove Tubes looks crispy fried (brown and letters all cracked) while the others look fine. Time to blow 100 bucks.
[quote="'[Parry"]']One of the Groove Tubes looks crispy fried (brown and letters all cracked) while the others look fine. Time to blow 100 bucks.

well that would explain your having issues. hopefully that wzas the problem and it's an easy fix