hi guys, I'm currently owning an Epiphone Viola bass and I've been in a band for some time now. I owned it way before I was part of the band, because I was a big Beatles fan. but since our band is focusing more on pop rock tunes (Paramore, Fall Out Boy, and other modern rock stuff), I was wondering if my bass is suitable in this genre (or what would be the pros and cons for using the Epi Viola in pop rock). if not, do you have any tips to make my bass have that thumpy and punchy tone?

I also recently changed my strings into nickel roundwound strings since it's said that it will give a different sound to my bass. other than that, any other tips?
From what I hear the Viola bass uses it's own brand of mini humbuckers which arent as "woofy" as the original Hofner Beetle bass or lets say...a Gibson EB3.

If I am correct the pickups maybe based on the mini humbucker on the EB3(in the bridge position) which had a bright, punchy tone.

One way or another a fresh set of roundwound strings should do the trick for that type of tone, if that aint enough get a Sansamp Bass Driver, or like me a ZOOM B3 and use the Sansamp Bass Driver patch + compressor.

One way or another it seems like a very versatile and nice sounding bass. Besides, it looks cooler than the Hofner IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAMhgq4E76s

Here's a guy covering Paramore on a Viola and I am sure he's either using old or flatwound strings.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Last edited by Guitar0player at Jun 24, 2015,
Try it first. If it doesn't work, then consider doing something. I don't think it makes sense to wonder about it now, because you don't know, and the only way to figure out if the tone works for pop punk is to try it and listen. I think almost any bass works for almost any genre. It has a lot to do with your amp settings and also your playing style. And also, different kind of bass tones can work for the same style.

Though if you have a specific tone in your mind and your bass can't do it, get a bass that can do it. If you just want a bass tone that works for the music you want to play, then getting a new bass is most likely not necessary.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Spaz91
I really want a Violin Bass too.

*cough*SANSAMP BASS DRIVER*cough*

Another thing to consider...it's a short scale bass. These usually dont have the best of sounds for pop punk. Correct me if I am wrong.

Try it out man.
    Purple string dampener scrunchy.
    Quote by Guitar0player
    *cough*SANSAMP BASS DRIVER*cough*

Another thing to consider...it's a short scale bass. These usually dont have the best of sounds for pop punk. Correct me if I am wrong.

Try it out man.

You're wrong.
    Basses:
    Fender Precision Bass
    Fender Jazz Bass
    1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
    Warwick Star Bass
    Squier Precision Bass TB