Hey everyone! I've been looking for a small tube amp exclusively for recording. I've been asking around and doing research, and I think I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

• Vox AC10 – brand new and untested, but early reviews are positive. I'm generally a fan of the Vox sound, although I'm worried this will be a one trick pony like the Ac4.
  • Laney Cub (10 or 12R) – I've heard the speakers suck, but I like the clean sound based on the videos I've seen. Effects loop and 1W input are a big plus.
  • Egnater Tweaker – This is the only one I've been able to try out myself. It's the most expensive, but a safe choice. This is about as high as my budget goes.

I'd like to know which of these you'd recommend and why. If you've tried any of them I'd love to hear your experiences. I play a Strat and Tele and play an ambient indie rock style (think Radiohead and EITS).

Thanks
i don't know where you are at, nor your specific budget. but, i owned a tweaker 15 head, and i was very underwhelmed. after a while, the switches don't seem to make as much of a difference.

also, its a pain in the ass, because every time you want to go from clean to dirty, you have to flip switches and turn knobs.

could you get a orange tiny terror/ they are stupid simple and sound great overall. biggest downfall is lack of an effects loop.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The Vox could be alright but like you say, it's new and I haven't tried one.

I'm equally underwhelmed by the tweaker.

If the effects loop is an issue but orange sounds good, an OR15 or a dark terror might be good.

The OR15 is far more vintage sounding, the dark terror far more modern, and obviously a bit more gain on tap, but they're the same circuit board, based off the rockerverb which is used by a wide array of genres. Obviously these are both more expensive than the tweaker though.

If you can give us a location and an actual figure for the budget we can help more.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 has direct recording features
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
So does the Valveking Mk2, it is also a far better sounding amp
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Looks>tone
ZEN JUDDHISM
hybrid 6.0
I have looked into Orange, and I do really like their amps, but they are a bit over my budget right now. I'd certainly like to buy one down the line.

My budget is about $600 max. I'll only be using this for home practice/recording. I also live in the north Seattle area if that helps.
You can easily get a Tiny Terror used combo for that much:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-TT15C-10-Tiny-Terror-15-Watt-Combo-Guitar-Amplifier-W-10-Speaker-36-/201376059339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee2f2cfcb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Tiny-Terror-1-12-Combo-Took-it-out-of-the-box-but-NEVER-played-it-/331589695409?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d344937b1

or just the head which you can pair with cab of choice (maybe 2x12):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Tiny-Terror-15-Watt-Tube-Amp-/391180377369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b142add19

There's little that could go wrong with these so I'd feel comfortable buying used. BTW, I own one

Out of the ones you listed...not sure. The Egnater has quite a few recording options but built is a bit on the flappy side. For example, when you toggle the little switches you can feel the whole PCB board move, so it doesn't expire much confidence. The VK is kinda built the same way.
I've heard good things about the Cub but haven't tried personally, I have Laney LC15 which I warmly recommend, great clean to classic rock (think AC/DC) tones. AC10 is probably good, I like the AC15 and AC30, although their quality has been sliding a bit thanks to the move to China.
Few others to try: Peavey Classic 30, Traynor YCB50.
Alright, I'll keep my eyes open for used Orange stuff. I guess my only concern is how the TT behaves with delay/reverb. I can always use my software effects, but it's a slight concern nonetheless.

Seems like the Vox and Laney are the best options from what I listed, so I can probably rule out the Egnater.
The Tiny Terror doesn't have an effects loop so it doesn't play well with reverb/delay, unless you're getting your dirt with pedal in front of them.

Have you looked at Laney LC15 and VC15? Those might be bit better than the Cub.

Look into the Traynor I suggested, much better amp than all listed.
Any Specific reason you're looking at the AC10?

The AC15 (or AC 30 but thats a fair bit more $$$) would have more head room, which would be nice to have if your recording. the AC15 IIRC was Johnny's Main amp, along with a Solid State Fender in the earlier days of Radiohead.

A large amount of Ambient players runs AC15's, as do a lot of the Indie guys.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
It seems like a good middle ground between the AC4 and AC15, and I won't need a lot of headroom for recording in my house. Even my 15w practice amp is way too loud above 3 or so.
i would go for an AC15 or an orange.

i took a quick look, and it appears that the AC10 doesn't have an effects loop either. i would probably take the orange over it personally.

i have to agree that AC15's are a staple for indie and ambient players (as stated ^). if its a budget thing, i would wait it out. personally i haven't really ever really found a 10" speaker that has satisfied me as much as a (comparable) 12". speakers aren't a good thing to cheap out on. i am not sure how great the speaker is that comes in the AC10, it looks to be a rebranded celestion for vox. i haven't found too many rebranded speakers great either. its up to you though.

but i don't think i have ever tried that traynor though.

sorry i am rambling and overtired and my thoughts aren't really in order.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would go for an AC15 or an orange.

i took a quick look, and it appears that the AC10 doesn't have an effects loop either. i would probably take the orange over it personally.

i have to agree that AC15's are a staple for indie and ambient players (as stated ^). if its a budget thing, i would wait it out. personally i haven't really ever really found a 10" speaker that has satisfied me as much as a (comparable) 12". speakers aren't a good thing to cheap out on. i am not sure how great the speaker is that comes in the AC10, it looks to be a rebranded celestion for vox. i haven't found too many rebranded speakers great either. its up to you though.

but i don't think i have ever tried that traynor though.

sorry i am rambling and overtired and my thoughts aren't really in order.

No problem, never hurts to get more feedback. Definitely a consideration that neither have an effects loop. The Laney has one, interestingly enough. It's still an option, but I digress...

Anyway, it's not really a budget concern. I can afford an AC15, but I'm also considering some more economical options. It's more a concern of using the amp to its full potential, and using it often enough to justify the cost.
Quote by redplaidsock
No problem, never hurts to get more feedback. Definitely a consideration that neither have an effects loop. The Laney has one, interestingly enough. It's still an option, but I digress...

Anyway, it's not really a budget concern. I can afford an AC15, but I'm also considering some more economical options. It's more a concern of using the amp to its full potential, and using it often enough to justify the cost.

having not tried the AC10, i cannot venture too far, but i have a feeling in time you would be happier with an AC15 in the long run. it has the top boost mode, comes witih a 12" speaker and are more tried and true. (hopefully i didn't venture too far there haha).

if you are concerned about the wattage and volume, dont be. a 10 watt amp is probably not noticeably quieter. either way they are just loud. AC15s are hella loud and are IMO a well engineered , tried and true amp.

as far as the orange goes, i will never get rid of mine. its just stupid simple, hassle free and does more than you will ever need. (IMO) don't worry about the single tone knob, it works very well. as far as reverb and delay go, i am running my amp at about 40% gain, with a zendrive out front, with maybe 50% gain, and they play together really nicely for what i use it for. i put modulation effects and delay after the OD. it kind of marries it well.

if you are recording, post production reverb and delay is probably just as good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Perhaps also consider a Vox Night Train NT15C1. More versatile than an AC15 and not so pointlessly heavy
ZEN JUDDHISM
hybrid 6.0
Amp strictly for recording and home use? Fender Super Champ XD. Excellent Fender/Vox/plexi tones in an easy to dial-in package. Worth a look.

No need for an effects loop on the amp for recording. Just use the effects loop in your DAW for reverb and delay.

http://youtu.be/CGeWr6dHvFk
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 25, 2015,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not really looking at Fender amps but I'll keep it in mind.