I didn't really dig the "smooth jazz" sound of the arrangement. Sounded a bit corny to me. I think the drum groove and the keyboard sound were more to blame than your playing. However, I think you should also try to embelish the melody a bit more and play around with the time. The Charlie Parker version works because of the dense percussion and piano comping, but also the way he interprets the melody helps it to sound less "corny."

As for your solo, there were some good ideas there. I would try to break away from the bluesy/rock licks. It sounded like for most of your solo you weren't thinking about the changes, but just playing in one key for as long as you could. Try to nail the 3rds and 7th of each chord change, and see how many different ways you can get to the next chord tones from the previous ones. Limit yourself in your practicing to doing this, and then you can expand more with playing different scales and extensions, but still hitting the important notes of the next chord.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Jun 24, 2015,
Thanks so much for the advice, and on my other videos too. I was going for a similar style to what St. Thomas is usually played in (specifically frequently ending phrases on tonic) and aiming for bluesy tendencies. My idea here was to approach this song a bit more melodically instead of playing straight over the changes like I did with a lot of the other selections on this recital. There were definitely parts that I could've played better on, but that's how performances usually go