Hey guys, I'm looking for an amp that I can gig with. Something loud enough to keep up with a loud rock band. We play anything from Chuck Berry-Foo Fighters. I have a practice amp, so it doesn't have great quiet tones. I'm not playing any massive gigs, so keep that in mind. I'm a young fellow who is in good shape, so I can a carry heavy things still. Combo or stack- doesn't matter.

Budget: ~$1600 USD tops.
I live halfway between St. Cloud, MN and the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN.

I have a Gibson SG Classic (P90s) and a Fender Strat. Pedals: BYOC Tube Screamer clone, BYOC, Boss, SDs-1, Univox Superfuzz clone, Rat 2, Gig FX Mega Wah, and other special effects of the chorus/delay types. The amp doesn't need an effects loops, but I wouldn't mind one either.

No number of channel preference, but I'd like the cleans to be able to go just as loud as the overdrive. So I can switch between them within a song.
Cleans don't have to be sparkly, but they have to be clean. Overdrive doesn't have to be over the top (think BTO's Taking Care of Business) I can push the amp with pedals. I like to have the amp slightly crunchy before putting dirt pedals in, it sounds a better to me.

I have a modded Traynor YCV20 for practicing, I like the thick sounding tones it gets on the overdrive channel, but the clean channel is kind of lacking on cleans, it breaks up really nice though, but I want my clean channel to be clean.

I don't care what the name on the front of the amp is. I just want it to be reliable and good sounding.
The Vox Ac15 sounded pretty good, but wouldn't be loud enough. Is the AC30 similar? I've heard it doesn't have as nice overdrive as its little brother.
I didn't like the Marshall DSL40. Cleans sucked and too hard to switch from crunch to clean in a song. Didn't like pedals much either.

Thanks guys.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Mesa MK V
Randall RM100
Kemper Profiler + Good external amp. (Or HD500X or maybe Helix)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Mesa MK V
Randall RM100
Kemper Profiler + Good external amp. (Or HD500X or maybe Helix)

Where are you finding a MK V for $1600?! That's the budget for amp and cabinet if I go stack style.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
With your budget, if you wanted to go down a different road: I'd say get a used Mesa Stiletto head with any decent 4x12 you can find that is loaded with celestions. Maybe a Carvin Legacy cab w/ V30's. The Carvin Legacy amps are another series of great heads that might cover the territory you are interested in.

You have a pretty high budget to work with, honestly, you have a lot of options. Best bet is to go to the local store and play every amp you can. The AC30 is plenty loud enough btw.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Where are you finding a MK V for $1600?! That's the budget for amp and cabinet if I go stack style.

I ignored your budget on a couple of those, it's not enough for the Kemper either.

But it does give you options.

If you want a tube amp, the RM100 is your best bet in budget for an "all things to all people" amp.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Essentially any 50w Mesa will cover your needs easily. Awesome Fender style clean, versatile OD, loud as hell, and built like Sherman tanks. Lots of em can be found used for less than $1k.

You might find an F-50 or 50 Cal for $600ish.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Essentially any 50w Mesa will cover your needs easily. Awesome Fender style clean, versatile OD, loud as hell, and built like Sherman tanks. Lots of em can be found used for less than $1k.

You might find an F-50 or 50 Cal for $600ish.

Yeah, thats what I'm starting to think too.
Quote by JD Close
Another vote for Mesa, whenever I sell one I always come crying back to it later.
Is the Mesa 5:50 any good? I'm seeing a lot of good reviews and the youtube clips sound good. Anything I should know before searching one out to hear it?
Quote by JD Close
Marshall JVM410H and cab can be had for that.

Great midi control, excellent footswitch, in effect its 12 channels (4x3modes each), decent cleean and great crunch and excellent high gain. It can do it all.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Yeah, the 5:50s are great - try to get a lot of time when you test it out and flip every switch and knob in every direction you can find. There are a lot of options and it's easy to get lost on them but it will give you an idea of what they can do.
I had a quick look on your craigslist, just to give you some options:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/5045994394.html Mesa Mark IV - 950$
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/5082233808.html Bogner Shiva - 1250$
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/5071467066.html EVH 5150 III - 775$
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/5086795252.html Krank Chadwick - 550$
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/5087689345.html Orange Rockerverb - 1100$

and as a cab:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/msg/5088655577.html Avatar 2x12 witch Creambacks - 300$
^ Thanks, Luke!
Quote by JD Close
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Is the Mesa 5:50 any good? I'm seeing a lot of good reviews and the youtube clips sound good. Anything I should know before searching one out to hear it?

i like them. used to be my go to amp to try guitars at Guitar Center. will cover what you want along with your pedals.
With that budget I'd do a Mesa Roadster 2x12 Combo or you may be able to get the head and Mesa Rec 4x12 (it's in the dual rectifier line but with awesome cleans) used for between $1100 - $1400 or a Mesa Mark IV or V combo used.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Before you try a Mesa, I suggest reading the manual to see what the controls do. Things as simple as treble and bass knobs don't always operate as expected. But I would highly recommend the Express 5:50+. Overall, it's my favorite Mesa when I look at the whole package. Sure, it doesn't have the best tones I've heard from them, but it gets close enough and it does everything I want it to do while offering the flexibility or versatility not found in the other amps I would recommend for someone not looking for a lot of gain. A Lone Star Classic would be another great option since you'll be using pedals but they're a little out of your price range when buying new.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jun 24, 2015,
Used RM100's go for around $600 in the US. That leaves you $1000 to spend on boutique preamp modules.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i will throw up a +3.1415 on the mesa express and f-series. lone stars sound really nice, but i haven't ever gotten to plug into one .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i will throw up a +3.1415 on the mesa express and f-series. lone stars sound really nice, but i haven't ever gotten to plug into one .

shame as teh Lone Star is one of my favs from Mesa. don't see them around any more though
Lone Star seems like right up your alley. I had one and it is fantastic (the head weighs a ton though). The double master volume on it is such a nice feature as well. And the channels can be set-up in various ways. You can have 2 cleans, you can have 2 drives, you can go all out on one and clean on the other, etc. Great amplifiers, I can't speak highly enough of them.

A Fender of some sorts with the drive pedals you already have and maybe something you buy with what you have left after buying the Fender might work as well.