I'm not an expert when it comes to recording; in fact I rarely record and most of the time I use my Scarlett 2i2 for playing purpose as my multi-effect unit doesn't work anymore and my cheap amp can't produce good sound by its own in lead channel.

But I noticed when I use my headphone to monitor the sound, my playing sounds somewhat okay through it but when I render a project and listen through my speakers it doesn't sound okay anymore. Also I hear some humming noise when I don't touch any strings while playing with distortion. What am I doing wrong?
Quote by Luminance
I'm not an expert when it comes to recording; in fact I rarely record and most of the time I use my Scarlett 2i2 for playing purpose as my multi-effect unit doesn't work anymore and my cheap amp can't produce good sound by its own in lead channel.

But I noticed when I use my headphone to monitor the sound, my playing sounds somewhat okay through it but when I render a project and listen through my speakers it doesn't sound okay anymore.

Unfortunately, thats the nature of the beast when it comes to monitoring with headphones. They tend to really hype up that track, and then you listen on your speakers and they reveal how weak your mix really is. I eapecially have that problem when I use my daw just for jamming. Sounds great in phones but on speakers it doesnt even come close to a real amp and cab.

You can try a pair pf headphones that are a little more flat. I use Sony MDR-7506 and you definitely gotta work to get it sounding good in them
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

have you tried monitoring with your speakers? it might just be an issue of dialing your tone in on them so that you take their coloration into account. although if your not really making music for "mass consumption" taking that into account might just hurt your end product if you know that the mix will be listened to mainly on headphones.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG355OXM
Fender Mexican Deluxe Series Stratocaster
Fender Squire Bullet
Schecter Damien Elite 8
Yamaha F325 Acoustic

Amps
Peavey 5150 II Full stack
Peavey 2001 Studio Pro 112
Roland Micro Cube
Sounds like your having a couple of issues:
Firstly, what are you using for dialing in tones? your DAW's amp sim/ mic and cab other VST amp sim/ cab IR's?
Secondly, you'll want to add a "noise gate" with a fast attack and release time and balanced threshold. (there are videos on this subject- I recommend youtubing "Fortori" his instructional videos will save you loads of time and headaches.)

You'll want to get a decent pair of headphones that give a "flat" response. Most cheap headphones have all sorts of color in their mix to boost the music your listening to but aren't necessarily giving you an accurate representation of what your recording. I recommend "Audio Technica" or "Sennheiser."

I also have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, it's a nice audio interface but you want to actually record with a decent amp sim or outboard gear if you can afford to do so, something in the Line 6 Pod Series or if you have the cash an Axe Fx or Kemper. There's tons of free or cheap VST plugin amp sims that are great too, like Lepoun Legion or BiasDesktop, TSE...etc.

Lastly, as far as dialing in "usable" guitar tone, well thats a whole other subject but check out this video:https://youtu.be/er9VhozNHNk

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Gman18 at Jun 25, 2015,
@diabolical: I'm using AmpliTube 3 and it does have a noise gate which has 3 parameters (Threshold, Release, Depth). I tried messing around with these options but still can't quite understand them properly (threshold probably controls when the gate will activate but I don't have any single clue about the other two).

@Watterboy: That's an interesting suggestion. Alright I'll keep your advice.
@Nexus_Black: I've never tried that actually (I thought USB audio interfaces can be attached to studio monitors only). How can I connect my multimedia speakers to Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?

@Gman18: I'm using AmpliTube 3 for my tones which has a noise gate but I'm a total newbie who doesn't know how to use noise gate properly.

Watterboy also suggested using a headphone that gives flat response and as I've been using a generic headphone I think I'll try using a headphone that gives flat response.

I'm attaching a sample below, how awful the general sound in this clip?
A sample playing
Last edited by Luminance at Jun 26, 2015,
Yeah, that's a significant amount of noise you got there. I've personally never used Amplitube but hopefully the video @diabolical posted helped.

Also, If there is a option in Amplitube to look at your signal chain, depending on what amp model your using you'll want to properly stage the gain so there isn't so much noise. This is where a "noise Gate" comes handy check this out for more info:https://youtu.be/V9OSSEVcNzI

Lastly, it might be a case of what type of cable your using from your guitar to interface, or your pickups could be really high output but a properly set up noise gate(s) will most likely fix your issue.
@Luminance - let me know what guitar 9type of pickups especially) are you using and what kind of sounds are you shooting for, I might share a few of my Amplitube 3 plugins with you, if you have the full version they should work out of the box.
You also know there's a big user base online on the forums, you can probably grab some presets from there too.
@Gman18: Sorry for the late reply, yeah diabolical's video helped quite a bit although I'm solely relying on amplitube's noise gate as I don't have the guitar rig. My cable is a generic cable that I got free when I bought my guitar. My guitar is a Sterling JP60 with its stock passive pickups. Thanks for the video link, I'll be checking that out shortly.

@diabolical: I got a Sterling JP60 with its stock passive pickups. For soloing stuffs I like Joe Satriani's tone a lot. And yes I already got some presets from online forums, some of them are quite good. But I'm primarily having this problem with this excess noise. I got the full version of AmpliTube 3 so you are welcome if you want to share some of your presets. I got a small collection of presets that I downloaded from different internet forums, if you are looking for something particular then let me know too.