I've always had a thing for the classic rock look, but strangely it was only recently that i started liking the idea of having a Les Paul. I was browsing some sites yesterday and found i can get a Studio Pro for £900 (approx. $1400) which is actually in the price range of my next potential guitar (max of £1000)

Anyway although i'm not planing on getting another guitar for a while (chief reason is that i don't have the room to store it). As i can afford that kind of Gibson should i just get it (Of course i WILL play it first)

Are Gibson still worth their price nowadays or has the market evened out the odds for other guitar makers?
I think it really comes down to whether you think it's worth it. If you try one out and you love how it feels and it's set up is acceptable to you I don't see why not.

My advice would be not to limit yourself by only looking at Gibsons but trying out guitars from multiple brands because then you can compare them and pick the one that suits you best.
And everything that once was
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable
and right here in the room.

- Franz Wright
Last edited by NougatOfficial at Jun 25, 2015,
Play one. If you love it, buy it.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Play one. If you love it, buy it.

This.

Don't go out to buy a Gibson. Go out to see if there's one you'd like to own.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by NougatOfficial
I think it really comes down to whether you think it's worth it. If you try one out and you love how it feels and it's set up is acceptable to you I don't see why not.

My advice would be not to limit yourself by only looking at Gibsons but trying out guitars from multiple brands because then you can compare them and pick the one that suits you best.

Do you mean other brands that do LP shapes or other brands in general?
For the sake of keeping things simple LP shapes since that's what your in the market for. Just get out there and try em! Don't think about the brand when you are playing them just the feeling and the sound they put out.
And everything that once was
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable
and right here in the room.

- Franz Wright
If you're after a LP go out and try them if possible. I bought my studio blind and I'll admit it was a big risk but it turned out to be one of my best guitars. I do recommend to buy on the used market to save some money and get more for it. The prices Gibson is charging now a days is ridiculous for the new market.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Tama Drums/ Sabian
Quote by ltdguy27
If you're after a LP go out and try them if possible. I bought my studio blind and I'll admit it was a big risk but it turned out to be one of my best guitars. I do recommend to buy on the used market to save some money and get more for it. The prices Gibson is charging now a days is ridiculous for the new market.

The 2014 & 2015 price increases were nothing short of scandalous. I own to CS guitars from 2010 and 2012 and if added up the prices I paid new then it would not even buy me one of either of them at todays price.

OP I love LPs, very happy with mine but these days aI'd seriously consider used, you'll generally get 35-40% off the original new price (pre-2104)
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
The 2014 & 2015 price increases were nothing short of scandalous. I own to CS guitars from 2010 and 2012 and if added up the prices I paid new then it would not even buy me one of either of them at todays price.

OP I love LPs, very happy with mine but these days aI'd seriously consider used, you'll generally get 35-40% off the original new price (pre-2104)

Can't get a 2nd hand one above a Studio for under £1000

Also i'm very wary about buying 2nd hand as most of the time i can't go and play the guitar as they are all too far for me to travel
Last edited by Tcrumpen at Jun 25, 2015,
Quote by Tcrumpen
Can't get a 2nd hand one above a Studio for under £1000

Also i'm very wary about buying 2nd hand as most of the time i can't go and play the guitar as they are all too far for me to travel

well for that kind of cash i'd make the effort to go and play as many guitars as you can. there are other brands that make LP style guitars that may suite you and be just as good. ESP/LTD makes a really nice LP style with seymour duncan pickups (the other version has EMGs) that are nice. PRS also makes some single cut guitars (ie LP style) that may also do the trick and are well within your budget.

as for used that will get you a better guitar so once again is worht considering even if it's a bit of a hassle. since you said that this will be it for the forseeable future you want to get the best guitar (for you) that you can.
Because you can afford something isnt a great reason as to why you can justify it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I love my gibsons. I definitely think that now they are overpriced now though.

I also really don't like the 2015's at all. The minitune is shite. They changed the neck a little bit.

There are lots of brands out there so look around.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by GetOverINow
I case you want a subpar guitar, yes you should.

Hey troll, tell that to all the real professionals using Gibsons. If you can't offer something constructive maybe you should just refrain.
Moving on.....
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I love my gibsons. I definitely think that now they are overpriced now though.

I also really don't like the 2015's at all. The minitune is shite. They changed the neck a little bit.

There are lots of brands out there so look around.

was at GC the other day and tried a couple out. to say that the necks were a little different would be being kind. the SG i played that was supposed to have 61 specs felt more like my BC Rich than a 61 LP/SG. real disappointed. the Traditional LP i played was any thing but.
Quote by monwobobbo
was at GC the other day and tried a couple out. to say that the necks were a little different would be being kind. the SG i played that was supposed to have 61 specs felt more like my BC Rich than a 61 LP/SG. real disappointed. the Traditional LP i played was any thing but.

yea it was a big change. truth be told, i picked up the guitar, couldn't figure out the stupid mini-tune system. i had a employee come over, and they grabbed it and showed me how. five minutes later it was in tune. i was so damn frustrated, i just put it back and grabbed something else. i played it for five minutes total and it didn't jazz with me.

i have two from the '80's, one from the '90's, and all of my others are older than '09..
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Interesting about the whining about the prices, Ive just ordered a EVH Wolfgang and it costs just as much if not more than what my Studio set me back... Its going to be interesting to compare the USA made Gibson against the Mexican EVH... Which is kinda shaped like a Les Paul and may be an option for you... I have to admit, if I bought a new Gibson with the stupid tuner system Id go out and get a set of manual tuners as well and swap em out, don't care how 'cool' the robot tuners are...
Quote by KenG
Hey troll, tell that to all the real professionals using Gibsons. If you can't offer something constructive maybe you should just refrain.

Most of them have either endorsement deals so they don't actually have to pay for them, or stick to one-two guitars they bought many years or decades ago.

My suggestion here: no. Gibson are known for absurdly inflated prices with pretty much no reason behind them other than exploiting their brand. There's lots of brands making LP-style guitars with far better reputation and better value for their price. I'd look at PRS or LTD first, who make some gorgeous singlecut guitars (and I'm a superstrat guy) but there's lots of other options.
I definitely believe in having one good LP in the arsenal. The trick as so many people have said is to get a good one. You may have to pay alot of money to do that if you buy new.
as bad of a deal as a new gibson is here in the states, it way worse in europe.

look at some higher end tokai options for a great les paul.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
------------------------------
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Quote by Tcrumpen
I've always had a thing for the classic rock look, but strangely it was only recently that i started liking the idea of having a Les Paul. I was browsing some sites yesterday and found i can get a Studio Pro for £900 (approx. $1400) which is actually in the price range of my next potential guitar (max of £1000)

Anyway although i'm not planing on getting another guitar for a while (chief reason is that i don't have the room to store it). As i can afford that kind of Gibson should i just get it (Of course i WILL play it first)

Are Gibson still worth their price nowadays or has the market evened out the odds for other guitar makers?

Note that you said you started liking the *idea* of having a Les Paul. Simply buying into the mythology and history may be enough for you, or it may not. The reality isn't anywhere near as special for a lot of people. These days, if your budget is under $3500, there's really no reason to get a *Gibson* Les Paul; there's nothing special about them and there are a potload of guitars that are actually better quality for less money. Over $3500, Gibson LPs begin to come into their own and the quality comes back. But you really need to consider why you want a Gibson LP over some other guitar.
^^^^ Yeah, some buy for mojo, the idea of owning a Gibson. I did, and now I'm opting out; I never play it (a 95 LP Special) because the weight aggravates me. My lightweight "Special-ised" Burny LP Jr is a lot nicer to play.

The main problem I see is confusing "more expensive" with "better". Even the concept of "better" is slippery, as it is context-specific.
Quote by Ippon
+1

you've missed one....

same pricerange than the Gibby Studio, btw

Quote by ChucklesMginty
Personally I absolutely hate the Studio models, I think the lack of binding makes them look rubbish. I've played at least 3 or 4 at thought they played poorly and sound very mediocre.

+1

I think Gibson invests even less in QC on their studio models than they do on others.
Eh, I'd buy the higher end Epi's that are in the same price range than lower end Gibsons
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
You said your price was approximately $1400.00 U.S. If you can budge on that just a little I think you might pick up a 90's les paul standard or perhaps classic. The 90s standard has the 490s on it and is built like a tank. Really good for hard rock in my opinion and many claim the 90s is a good era for Gibson. I bought one of these new back in the 90s and is one of my favorite guitars.

The other option may be to move higher on your price and pick up a new les paul traditional or traditional pro II (the III is out also now I see). That may cost you more. However, I think a used 90s standard in good condition is an option you might consider.
I think the value in Gibsons is in the used market, and I think that IF you really need to have a Gibson, you should buy one that's full on, with the binding and all that.

If you asked me if a Gibson LP is worth the money, I'd probably have to suggest that if you're mostly looking for a guitar to play, then no. If you love the connection to early rock and to the brand name, then yes.

Gibson doesn't take the care with woods and workmanship and fretwork and quality that a builder like Carvin or Suhr or Nik Huber does. Nor do you have the choices. Gibson's reputation was built before Norlin owned the company. Norlin's guitars may not be as terrible as folks complained about at the time, and a lot of the survivors are very fine guitars indeed. But by the early '80's, Gibson had fallen on bad times, was struggling to live on its reputation, was NOT the guitar of choice, and was on its way out as a company. Henry and his little syndicate bought the entire company for $4 million. The LP was scheduled to be discontinued yet again. The only thing that saved the LP and the company was Appetite for Destruction and Slash. The LP became cool again. Guitar Denter was on the rise and growing and Gibson suddenly had a huge market available all at once.

But honestly, Henry's drive to make Gibson commodity item (and now he's working toward a "lifestyle" item) has damaged the brand. In the larger musical world, guitar bands have mostly fallen off the map. Popular music is dominated by one-name chick singers and the occasional hip-hop artist (how the hell did Li'l Wiener ever get so popular?). The much smaller demographic of Country has classic rock bands masquerading as New Cah-Huntry, but the bands themselves are anonymous globs of Nashville studio musicians, and the telecaster still reigns supreme. More seriously for Gibson, the Baby Boomers who grew up to a common sound track blasted over huge radio stations and then over MTV are now retiring, and their nostalgia money will soon be disappearing along with MTV as they knew it and all those radio stations. The fragmentation of that soundtrack into millions of personal playlists means that no one music dominates, except for one notable spot: preteen girls listening to Disney princesses. These are the breeding grounds (sometimes literally) for the Billboard Top 10 artists, most of whom get publicly naked with dubious companionship and then follow a formula to developing their own perfume and clothing lines. Ariana, Taylor, Britney, Jessica (any Jessica; doesn't matter, but Simpson's probably generating $750 mil off that stunning booty while Nick Lachey languishes), Adele, Demi, Zendaya, Beyonce, Selena, Iggy, Ciara, etc.

No guitars required.
Quote by dspellman
I think the value in Gibsons is in the used market, and I think that IF you really need to have a Gibson, you should buy one that's full on, with the binding and all that.

100%
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yes
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
For $1500 or less, I wouldn't bother with Gibson. Too many other makers are delivering better quality LPclones for less that I don't see the value. And in all honesty, if I were spending more than $1500 on an LP-style guitar, it wouldn't be from Gibson either. For the same reason.

Right now, IMHO, new Gibsons are less about the quality and tone of the guitar and more about the brand identity.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
For $1500 or less, I wouldn't bother with Gibson. Too many other makers are delivering better quality LPclones for less that I don't see the value. And in all honesty, if I were spending more than $1500 on an LP-style guitar, it wouldn't be from Gibson either. For the same reason.

Right now, IMHO, new Gibsons are less about the quality and tone of the guitar and more about the brand identity.

Electra?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Yup for the money and what I've heard of their QC and general decline in quality I would look elsewhere. You could get a nice epiphone less than half that price. Or even a high end esp or shechter. They both have more vintage les paul versions that are insane value for the money. Not sure about luthiers where you live but for $1500 you might be able to get a hand made fully custom guitar.
Quote by Fryderyczek
Electra?

Yup- my Omega Prime is my 2nd favorite LPclone, just edged out by my Reverend Rick Vito.

I've been wanting a Carvin SH550 for some time now, too, and have ESPs, FGNs, JETs, Heritage, Crimsons, Burnys, Edwards & others on my radar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 27, 2015,
Quote by TheLiberation

My suggestion here: no. Gibson are known for absurdly inflated prices with pretty much no reason behind them other than exploiting their brand. There's lots of brands making LP-style guitars with far better reputation and better value for their price. I'd look at PRS or LTD first, who make some gorgeous singlecut guitars (and I'm a superstrat guy) but there's lots of other options.

Exactly this.

If you absolutely have to have the "mojo" of the guitar saying "Gibson" on the headstock, then look around very carefully, find a good one, and be prepared to spend more than it's worth. If you're just looking for a great guitar, there is not a Gibson in the world that can't be matched or bested in quality for half the price.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by kentuckyklira
+1

I think Gibson invests even less in QC on their studio models than they do on others.

Oh, I dunno, I've seen some horrible QC on high end models here in Oz. made you wonder whether they sent the rough stuff here. Oddly, it never really bothered me as it would in, say, Martin. - Different expectations, and they mostly seemed good in terms of construction, just a very sloppy finish.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Because you can afford something isnt a great reason as to why you can justify it.

I recently took $2000 Into a guitar store to buy a guitar. Mainly looking for a les paul. I tried around 20 guitars. The one I fell in love with was something around $650. Needless to say, it wasn't a Gibson, and I've not regretted my choice.
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
Quote by dspellman

If you asked me if a Gibson LP is worth the money, I'd probably have to suggest that if you're mostly looking for a guitar to play, then no. If you love the connection to early rock and to the brand name, then yes.

Gibson doesn't take the care with woods and workmanship and fretwork and quality that a builder like Carvin or Suhr or Nik Huber does. Nor do you have the choices. Gibson's reputation was built before Norlin owned the company. Norlin's guitars may not be as terrible as folks complained about at the time, and a lot of the survivors are very fine guitars indeed. But by the early '80's, Gibson had fallen on bad times, was struggling to live on its reputation, was NOT the guitar of choice, and was on its way out as a company. Henry and his little syndicate bought the entire company for $4 million. The LP was scheduled to be discontinued yet again. The only thing that saved the LP and the company was Appetite for Destruction and Slash. The LP became cool again. Guitar Denter was on the rise and growing and Gibson suddenly had a huge market available all at once.

But honestly, Henry's drive to make Gibson commodity item (and now he's working toward a "lifestyle" item) has damaged the brand. In the larger musical world, guitar bands have mostly fallen off the map. Popular music is dominated by one-name chick singers and the occasional hip-hop artist (how the hell did Li'l Wiener ever get so popular?). The much smaller demographic of Country has classic rock bands masquerading as New Cah-Huntry, but the bands themselves are anonymous globs of Nashville studio musicians, and the telecaster still reigns supreme. More seriously for Gibson, the Baby Boomers who grew up to a common sound track blasted over huge radio stations and then over MTV are now retiring, and their nostalgia money will soon be disappearing along with MTV as they knew it and all those radio stations. The fragmentation of that soundtrack into millions of personal playlists means that no one music dominates, except for one notable spot: preteen girls listening to Disney princesses. These are the breeding grounds (sometimes literally) for the Billboard Top 10 artists, most of whom get publicly naked with dubious companionship and then follow a formula to developing their own perfume and clothing lines. Ariana, Taylor, Britney, Jessica (any Jessica; doesn't matter, but Simpson's probably generating $750 mil off that stunning booty while Nick Lachey languishes), Adele, Demi, Zendaya, Beyonce, Selena, Iggy, Ciara, etc.

No guitars required.

interesting. agree that the value of gibson is in the used market. now as for you thing about country that is off the mark some. you actually do see a fair number of gibson LP in country these days. the tele while still preveant isn't as popular with the newer bands ad the more traditional ones. country is way more popular thatn you are giving it credit for. (not really my thing but the old lady is big on it).

as for pop music that chagnes every few years and i think that the guitar will make a return at some point. rock isn't dead yet either. instead of a few mega star bands you have a fair number of smaller (but popular) bands doing those festival style shows. all those bands have guitar players and inspire more. the days of the "rock star" may be over but there is still plenty of bands making enough money out of music to keep the ball bouncing. and of course many of them will want gibson guitars. the vintage stuff will take a beating for sure. kids don't care that much about 59 LPs after all the guys in Mastodon don't play them (for example).