Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a decent amp and have already got a 2x12 Jet City cab so I just need a head. It'll just be used in my bedroom, that's why I'm looking for smaller tube amps. I'm leaning towards the Laney because I've heard it's a lot better for hi gain stuff and I can drop it down to 1w.

My options are as follows with prices.

Laney Iron Heart 15w - £190
Blackstar HT-5RH - £140-160
Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 5 - £190
Jet City JCA20H - £160

Ideally they'll be used for metal (Erra, August Burns Red, etc) with a Jackson DKMG

Thanks for the help guys.
Last edited by littledude565 at Jun 25, 2015,
Of those listed I'd do the Laney. Most modern amps have a master volume though. . . . You still won't be able to turn up a 5W or 15W amp without it being LOUD.

I think a better way for you to phrase your question is what's the best amp head I can get for low volume bedroom use for $200 (I can't find your currency symbol)?

I don't know what's available to you but the Laney's are supposed to be very good - I've never used one.

Amp sims on the computer are a great option for what you're doing or something like a used Line6 POD HD500.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Thanks for the reply. I keep swapping between the Laney and the Blackstar, the blackstar is cheaper which is swaying me.

Amp sims are what I've been using for a while now and I dont like how "digital" the chugs can sound at times.
What sims are you using?
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by metalmingee
(I can't find your currency symbol)?

Off topic but the easiest way is to simply copy and paste it from his posting, since that will even work from a phone.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
i'd go with either the Laney or the Jet City. just because yo only play at home now doesn't mean that you won't be later. 5 watt amps won't really cut it with a band.
Quote by Arby911
Off topic but the easiest way is to simply copy and paste it from his posting, since that will even work from a phone.

Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I know they don't get a lot of love on this forum but I have a blackstar HT-5 head and I like it a lot. Has lots of gain, although you will probably want a TS to boost the front end for a tighter hi gain sound. The Blackstar is also the only one with two channels, which you might find useful at some point.

I haven't played the others so I can't tell you anything about them. I can't say the Blackstar is better, but just that it will do what you want.
I am not a blackstar fan. I would take a micro terror over one any day. Both are hybrid. The micro terror sounds pretty good with an OD and a decent cab.

I would take the Laney though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jun 27, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I am not a bugera fan. I would take a micro terror over one any day. Both are hybrid. The micro terror sounds pretty good with an OD and a decent cab.

I would take the Laney though.

Good to know, but nobody here has mentioned Bugera?

Blackstar perhaps?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
At MusikMesse earlier this year I was quite impressed with the Laney Iron Heart tone, not too modern and not too vintage. Plus, Laney has a history of building rugged amps that last!
Quote by metalmingee
Of those listed I'd do the Laney. Most modern amps have a master volume though. . . . You still won't be able to turn up a 5W or 15W amp without it being LOUD.

I think a better way for you to phrase your question is what's the best amp head I can get for low volume bedroom use for $200 (I can't find your currency symbol)?

+1

Funnily enough, from what I've heard, the 50 watt jet city head actually sounds better at home volumes than the two channel 20 watt jet city head (i've only tried the 50... and I realise the jet city head mentioned in the OP isn't the two channel one).

conversely, if you have to be really, really quiet, tube (even "low wattage" tube which is a bit of an oxymoron as it's still really loud) might not be the way to go.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Arby911
Good to know, but nobody here has mentioned Bugera?

Blackstar perhaps?

dammit, you have been catching me a lot on typographical errors.

yes blackstar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/