Poll: Do you think the confederate flag is bad?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think the confederate flag is bad?
Yes
35 60%
No
23 40%
Voters: 58.
Page 1 of 2
I think displaying the confederate flag is equivalent to displaying the Nazi flag but what do I know?
It's a good flag.

Looks especially awesome on the roof of an orange Dodge Charger.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
You asked three questions, two of them are very lofty, and only one of them has a poll. This wasn't a good way to start the discussion.
Quote by soundgarden1986
we should get rid of the south

You could've but then you fought a war to keep them.
Quote by WaterGod
You could've but then you fought a war to keep them.

Bloody hell, soundgarden1986 is old.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
It's a good flag.

Looks especially awesome on the roof of an orange Dodge Charger.

that isn't even a charger you doofus
pinga
Depends on what you mean by "get rid of."

The flag should not be flown on government property because doing so is not only an endorsement of slavery, but even more importantly of treason and rebellion and is therefore anti democratic.

But private citizens should be allowed to do what they want with it. If they want to fly it, that's fine, because that way I can clearly determine which racist inbred southerners to stay away from.
Quote by bradulator

The flag should not be flown on government property because doing so is not only an endorsement of slavery, but even more importantly of treason and rebellion and is therefore anti democratic.

But private citizens should be allowed to do what they want with it. If they want to fly it, that's fine, because that way I can clearly determine which racist inbred southerners to stay away from.

Quote by bradulator

¯\_()_/¯
Quote by bradulator

let's give it to canada
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Shouldn't remove them completely to be politically correct like apple is doing with removing apps that contain the confederate flag.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Really shouldn't equate naziism and confederacy, as they're quite different in ideology.

But yeah it's a symbol of everything America has supposedly left behind. There's a fine line on the censorship thing and I prefer plain education to promote open-mindedness and, y'know, historical awareness, but if we had that, and the government had that, it would have been taken down democratically decades ago.
Quote by bradulator

~♫ here in...

...here in the deep south ♫~
Quote by Rossenrot
You asked three questions, two of them are very lofty, and only one of them has a poll. This wasn't a good way to start the discussion.

my liberal ass english professor compared it to having a swastika on display, why is having one displayed versus the other okay. The student he was arguing with said they would be ok with someone having nazi flags and stuff on display lol "muh heritage"

Maybe it's because Germany kinda went nuts with no nazi symbology allowed while the USA is the land of the free and home of the brave
Quote by Weaponized
my liberal ass english professor compared it to having a swastika on display, why is having one displayed versus the other okay. The student he was arguing with said they would be ok with someone having nazi flags and stuff on display lol "muh heritage"

Maybe it's because Germany kinda went nuts with no nazi symbology allowed while the USA is the land of the free and home of the brave

Land of the free (terms and conditions may apply).
Quote by Weaponized

y u quote me tho ???
Quote by Rossenrot
y u quote me tho ???

The other I was driving around and saw a guy had a big confederate flag on the back of his truck.
I live and work near a military base and I see confederate flags all the time. Sucks.
Check out my band Disturbed
ridiculous that any government was flying it. corporations banning it is a cheap pr move & being able to display it as a private citizen should be protected under freedom of expression. more important things to worry about. then again what do i know
This is like getting rid of the American flag because some asswipe is offended by the flag. If you don't like it, just don't go south and don't look at the confederate flag!
Quote by bradulator

This is the only right answer tbh
Quote by PiercedBand
This is like getting rid of the American flag because some asswipe is offended by the flag. If you don't like it, just don't go south and don't look at the confederate flag!

lol
A bit more info would be helpful.
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
Quote by soundgarden1986
we should get rid of the south

Can't really argue with this to be honest.

On topic, yes, it's a symbol of racism and slavery. It should not be on any government buildings.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I think it should be removed from the SC state house or whatever it is, and any government property. Just as a sign of respect. Also it's just ****ing stupid to have it on government property because the Confederacy doesn't even exist anymore.

But I don't think it should be banned outright. If people want to fly the flag on their own private property, I don't give a shit. Banning them from doing it won't make them less racist, if they are racist to begin with.

I think the banning has gotten a little out of hand. People interested in collection historical American artifacts should be allowed to do so. I respect the rights of Amazon, Walmart, etc to ban them from their stores, but they shouldn't be made illegal or anything.

also Apple banning it from their historically based video games is just lame.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Jun 25, 2015,
Approving the whitewashing of US history? In the USA?
Let's abuse this old logic.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not disastrous military events, they were just kamikaze strikes gone wrong for the safety of the USA's children of the future.
Or how about Agent Orange? Was that really a chemical weapon or subsidized land clearance?

All hyperboles aside. If this is really about slavery and its continuing impact on American society, hiding the symptoms is not going to cure the ailment.
Britain does not have this problem, the Netherlands doesn't have this problem, there's a community of people who fled to Brazil after the Civil War and for them Dixie is just a thing of the past that they can call 'heritage', and Brazil doesn't mind.

To me, it seems like the issue of racism is one that should not be dealt with from an emotional or moral standpoint. It's something to be dealt with rationally by both sides. Reason is the eternal enemy of prejudice and fear, and once both sides start using it for the benefit of us all rather than just their 'group' (which is racist in and of itself), racism will cease to escalate.

The last thing we want is gouvernments and peer-pressure telling us what we should think.
I don't know a single person who uses a rebel flag because it somehow mystically promotes racism. And I live in the south. To me personally, a rebel flag represents the south. I'm proud to live here and I'd be just fine flying a rebel flag. The only reason people think it's racist is because the KKK used it. But seriously, has the KKK even been a thing since the 60's?

As for taking it down from government buildings, fine. The Confederacy doesn't exist so why have the flag anymore? That makes sense. But to remove the flag from stores and buildings and toys as a knee-jerk reaction to some homicidal moron is really unnecessary.
Quote by !..!_Rock_!..!
I don't know a single person who uses a rebel flag because it somehow mystically promotes racism. And I live in the south. To me personally, a rebel flag represents the south. I'm proud to live here and I'd be just fine flying a rebel flag. The only reason people think it's racist is because the KKK used it.

I think you mean "the south". You know. The place that fought a war over the right to keep and sell niggers to each other? That south.
Check out my band Disturbed
Page 1 of 2