hello all,

its about that time to get the bug and buy something. im thinking pickups. my carvin as a whole sounds great. really happy with my custom build, and even my custom wiring for split, out of phase, custom caps and custom pots.

however, i am thinking if there is one thing lacking on the stellar instrument, its the pups. not bad, but perhaps improvement? you guys help me with that.

i really like em as a whole. not bad. i really play a bit of everything. i want deep rich cleans, spank when i split em like a single coil, and then i want en to get mean and heavy but still retain the clairty for a lot of gain. i just want good all around pups. basically im asking for the GOD set of pups i know, perhaps you guys can help me with a realistic view. a good all around mult-purpose set.

output is good, about 11-13K in the bridge, about 9-10 in the neck. a bit on the hotter side but when split they still have good power in single coil mode. i like that.

my BIG thing is overtones and harmonics. i feel like my guitar is lacking it. i feel like i have to try extra hard to get to the good squeals and the good juicy dirty notes when digging into the strings. i feel like i shouldnt be this hard, or with other guitars i can do it easier. my intonation is pretty much spot on.

im thinking the pickups so almost everything i want except:

better clarity on the higher gain stuff

more harmonics (overtones, pinch harmonics that jump out, etc)

the treble seems thin. i want balance, thick, but not overwhelming treble. i feel like my treble can be "brittle" at times but always very clear, whereas by bass is loud and powerful but can get muddy.

Thanks!

/Ike
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I'm a big fan of Rio Grande pups. I've only used their S/C and P90's though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Check out Carvin's Lithium pickups. They were designed by Jeff Kiesel and that pickup is catered more towards what you described as wanting. Personally I think it's their best pickup and on par with brands like SD and BKP
There are so many pickups that can be recommended. Do you have a preference for the magnets? Alnico 2 or 5, ceramic, stuff like that.

I have two carvins as well, one with SD and one with BKP, I suggest you check out both their websites and check out pickup reviews on youtube. Keith Merrow and Ola Englund are two guys on youtube which have reviewed a TON of pickups, worth checking their channels out.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
It sounds like you want something on the hotter side than Carvin typically offered, pre-Keisel.

Rio Grandes are a very good choice. I'd also look at Bareknuckle. Lace has some hotter signature humbuckers- Lifers, Hammer Claws and Dissonant Aggressors- plus their Nitro Hemis. Tesla has the VR and Plasma series HBs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
does output translate into harmonics? if so then yes. otherwise they seem like very versatile, hot enough pickups as it is. i mean even in split coil i feel like i can get a "texas special" type crunch and growl.

keisel - yep. i know they are good pickups. worried they are "too metal". obviously they handle high gain better and are more suited for thier higher gain made type guitars, but it doesnt help all teh fools on youtube are playing death metal with them. hard to get a good spectrum.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 27, 2015,
edit - after more research - it seems like the kiesel lithiums actually handle the full spectrum quite well. they may be just what i am looking for. i think they are in the high running right now.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-fsQHj-JYE This guy checks out different tones you can get from the Lithium, like you said it can handle the full spectrum pretty well. If they had these in stock when my Carvins were made, I would've gotten them for sure.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)