I am a novice when it comes to vintage guitars, if anyone can shed some light on real value (not what some joker is asking but not going to get) I would greatly appreciate it. What I have appears to be a fully functioning all original 1966 Harmony Bobkat H14, I have the original hard shell case with it, I even have a 1966 Harmony H400A tube practice amp. The frets are a little dirty but other than that it plays and sounds great. This guitar and amp came from the original owner I would technically be the 2nd owner.
Attachments:
harmony1.jpg
try complete sales on ebay if possible. an educated guess would be that the guitar is worth maybe $100-150 if in really nice shape. with original case then more likely the higher end. the amp may be worth more than the guitar so keep that in mind (provided ti works)

1 pickup solidbody's don't tend to be very desirable (with a few exceptions)
I have the exact same guitar, not in that kind of shape though. Mine is a lot more beat up, but still playable and sounds good. The pickup is a DeArmond, it was made in single and double pickup models. From what I've been able to find out it appears the single pickup is called Bobkat, double pickup is called Silhouette.

I looked it up a while back, mine as it is would probably go for $250 to $300, yours, in a lot better shape, should be a little higher, Maybe $400.

If you pull the pickguard off, mine is stamped with a rubber stamp on the back, April 1, 1966. They were made for several years, that's the main way to get a precise age. Last one I saw on ebay was around $350 I think. Just looked up one that sold in 2012 for $425.

Mine has a neck about like a baseball bat, still playable but I use it more for slide than regular guitar, not comfortable to play. Otherwise it's a good guitar, well made for a cheapo, and identical to yours. I got it at a yard sale in San Antonio for $2, had to find 3 of the tuner grommets, a buck for those.

The slide switch defeats the tone knob. One position, down I think, lets the tone knob work, the other position it's the same as full treble. That lets you preset a tone using the tone knob, then defeat it and get full treble, and only use the other tone setting when you want it.

I replaced the tone pot a couple of years back to give mine more treble, it was too dark and I finally got tired of that. Only other change is the tuners, a couple were bent when I got it, I couldn't find the original brass ones so I replace them with a set of used chrome ones from another yard sale. Still working perfect 15 years later...

Don't know a thing about the amp, I have an old Harmony practice amp but it's solid state, probably not worth $30...

Here's mine onstage about 10 years ago doing some slide probably in open G. You can see some of the paint rubbed off in places, it's got quite a few chunks of paint missing around the edges. Already that way when I got it. From what the lady told me it sat in a closet for almost 30 years...

By the way, you can't get the intonation exact, but it will get pretty close by sliding the bridge around and angling it a little. Loosen the strings first. It's a PITA but it works fairly well.

Oh, I did a bit more looking, just found another one with case in decent shape going for over $500...they have been getting more attention lately and going up in value. Mine was worth maybe $150 when I got it in 1996. Right now I could get $300 if I wanted to sell it..which I do not...love the pickup, it sounds excellent.

harmony4 by Paleo Pete, on Flickr
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Jun 26, 2015,
Thanks. I used it a lot for slide at that time, that's my other guitars at far right, Super Reverb behind me. Peavey MX sitting on a 1967 Kustom cabinet too, but you can't see it, just part of the rolled an pleated side to the left of the other guitars.. The Harmony had alternated between standard tuning, open G and straight D tuning for years, right now it's back to a step low, D tuning. Might go back to open G for slide again, not sure...the past few months it hasn't been gigging, don't have room at the place we play most. That was taken by my niece at a bar in north Louisiana where we played quite a few times. And the Super Reverb was probably maxed out...it usually was...

You can see some of the paint chunks missing but you have to look close, it still looks pretty cool with all the wear but I wish it was in better condition. No serious dents or cracks, nothing broken, just paint chipped off.

I've always liked some of the cheaper off brand guitars of the 60's and 70's like Harmony, Silvertone and Teisco, Kingston...many of the Silvertones were made by Harmony, the first electric I ever played as a kid was a Silvertone made by Dan Electro. I think I was about 8, played it through the amp that was built into the case.
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Jun 26, 2015,
The second from the far end of the rack looks like my Peavey Raptor Plus Exp. Vietnamese, exc condition, weighs less than 5 1/4 lb, Oz$65 at the hock shop. I was expecting to at least change the pickups, but the stock ones are great, and everything else works just fine. Brilliant, I love cheap good guitars. I'm just in the process of selling my one "good" electric, a '95 LP Special.
This depends a great deal on where you live. I see these in the $250–$350 range every week on Craigslist. But I live in a town where a cheap house costs half a million dollars.
Tony Done - It's a Peavey Patriot., I don't have a picture posted online, it's this guitar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEAVEY-PATRIOT-1984-GUITAR-Super-Ferrite-pus-with-ELECTRIC-AMP-CASE-made-in-USA-/271904331081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4ec2d549

I love it, fantastic guitar. Strat body with Telecaster pickups, plays like a dream and sounds great. I have the same molded case but without the amp. Mine is black with the same black pickguard and dual Super Ferrite pickups. Heavy guitar, don't know what the actual weight is, but it's the heaviest one I own, supposed to be a mahogany body. Made in USA, about 1985.

Anybody looking for a new guitar if you can find one, definitely check out the Patriot. But don't use the micro tilt neck adjustment, I don't like those. I adjusted my bridge the same way a standard strat is done. Some say the micro tilt will decrease sustain, I don't know, I never used it. Left alone and adjusted at the bridge instead it works great. Sound is fabulous, the thing chimes like bells in the middle pickup position playing both pickups. My bridge pickup is too bright, neck pickup is great. Never have gotten the bridge pickup adjusted just right but then I rarely use it anyway. For that guitar, I normally use both, that's the sound I want when I play it. When I try to set it so it's not as bright, it robs the highs from the middle position and loses that chime I like. So I leave it bright, if I want he bridge pickup the Strat sounds fantastic and is my main guitar too.
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Jun 27, 2015,
Thanks for the information dude definitely surprising, I rolled the dice and picked it up not really know what it was worth. Its was filthy when I got it but under all the dirt and sweat was a gem in my opinion. Something went of in my head when I went to guitar center and then said "whats your asking price?" lol. The offered me $175 and i walked away with my guitar in hand figuring they probably offer 50% of value. Thinking of turning it loose to replace my bass that broke the other day.
Quote by Valicwarrior
Thanks for the information dude definitely surprising, I rolled the dice and picked it up not really know what it was worth. Its was filthy when I got it but under all the dirt and sweat was a gem in my opinion. Something went of in my head when I went to guitar center and then said "whats your asking price?" lol. The offered me $175 and i walked away with my guitar in hand figuring they probably offer 50% of value. Thinking of turning it loose to replace my bass that broke the other day.

GC is only going to give you 50% so it's not that they were really trying to rip you off per se. they have to make money and seel the guitar. while it may have gotten the $300+ price on ebay there is no telling if it will continue to sell at that price or how long it will take for someone to buy it. while cool those guitars have a limited fan base willing to spend that kind of $.
I never said anything about them ripping me off all I said was they offered me x dollars and I assume that's half the value they feel it has....
You're probably right, if they offered you $175 they probably know they can sell it for at least $300, probably more. Since you have the original case too, and it's been cleaned up, probably more. That's the way most businesses operate, they want to make around 100% profit on what they sell. If you buy it for $20, sell it for $40. That's the only way they can stay in business. They still have to cover overhead.

There are more people around willing to pay good bucks for these guitars than you might think. I've thought about selling my '66 a few times but can't see parting with it. The thing just sounds too good especially as a slide guitar.

If you want to sell it, I'd say try ebay or craigslist, or put it in the local sale paper if you have one. We have one called the Peddler, I've seen Thrifty Nickel in a lot of places. Usually they offer free or cheap ads. The only way I would take it to a dealership is on consignment. They usually take a commission of 15 to 20%, I've sold a couple of guitars that way. Didn't want to, but when all the jobs suddenly dropped several years ago I needed groceries...We were doing trim work on new houses and remodeling, booked up 4 months in advance and turning jobs down, then all of a sudden we couldn't find work at all. Had to do something...lost a nice Washburn BT 2 that I really really didn't want to sell, and a telecaster copy that I had modified into a pretty nice and killer sounding guitar...Consignment worked pretty well. If I needed to sell another, I would either do that or put it online.

Off topic, but thinking about selling a couple of items I never use, rack mount reverb unit and Tom Schultz Power Soak. Still undecided...
Quote by Valicwarrior
Turns out to be a 65 date stamp was AUG 27 1965

I recently sold a '64 Silvertone version of that guitar on Reverb.com for $350. You should easily be able to get $300-400 for the guitar alone.