4 People of whom 2 are vocal teachers tell me that I'm absolutely a tenor, judging by the tone of my voice, but my vocal range is very similiar to a baritone.

My vocal range goes from G3 - G4. (2.8 octaves) (My mostly comfortable range, above that i will have to belt.)

So what do you call a guy that sounds like a tenor but has a baritone range?

Baritenor? Internet sources tell me that baritenor is a bariton with a tenor range, but that's not what i am.
Quote by one vision

You wouldn't dance to a metronome.

On meth you would.
Can you hit notes higher that G4 in pure head voice? That's usually a good indication. Also tenors can sing G2's but not with the same chest resonances as a baritone or bass. That's the difference. It other words we sound crap when we sing a G2.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Can you hit notes higher that G4 in pure head voice? That's usually a good indication. Also tenors can sing G2's but not with the same chest resonances as a baritone or bass. That's the difference. It other words we sound crap when we sing a G2.

Yeah, the notes over g4 are fully on headvoice.
Quote by one vision

On meth you would.
Lyric baritone.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If you can't go much higher than G4, you should not be calling yourself a Tenor. If voice instructors are telling you that you're a tenor and aren't trying to work you up to full voice B4/C5s at the very least, I wouldn't hold them in very high regard at all. Try working up to higher notes without belting, see how high your voice can go, as, at the moment, there isn't much info to work from.
Okay thanks guys I'll try to open up my upper range more, thanks for the suggestions

I can go higher than G4 it's just more difficult to sing, i have to make much effort.
Quote by one vision

On meth you would.
Quote by Rensa
Okay thanks guys I'll try to open up my upper range more, thanks for the suggestions

I can go higher than G4 it's just more difficult to sing, i have to make much effort.

Yes, that's reasonable! Tenors need to get louder at around E4 :P
Colja123 This thread is over a year old. If you have questions about your OWN voice, please use just one thread instead of making many short threads.

Closed.