I know a lot of people here hate the Gibson Min-Etune, but can we set all that aside for a minute? I'm curious just how well it actually works. Like, does it hit that low E at 440 hz?
------------------------------
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Last edited by Ruark at Jun 26, 2015,
Mine did.

Just a shame it never got the G or high e in right, though.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Headstock tuners in general really aren't that great of a design to begin with. They aren't that accurate even in ideal conditions and outside noise/vibration confuses them.

And fyi low E isn't at 440hz. The fundamental of the low E is 82hz.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 26, 2015,
Every one I've picked up at the store is out of calibration because some kid move the tuners while it was engaged (I think)....so everytime I push the button to tune it's just a mess. It thinks it's in tune but it's not. It hasn't worked perfectly anytime I've tried it. Even the rare occasion it is perfectly calibrated and good to go.

Ain't nobody got time fa dat.
From the 5 that I've tried none of them have worked properly. The tuning would always be off and I could have tuned 4 guitars with my snark clip on tuner in the time it would take for the minitune to get a proper tuning
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
I have tried two at a GC store. One worked after several attempts and one didn't after 1/2 a dozen attempts. I admit that I am a pretty lazy person but not lazy enough to need or want a mini tuner.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Thanks for those replies. So what you guys are saying is that it misses the mark where tuning goes. It says the D string is in perfect tune, but it really isn't. What a sham, if that's true. I can see the value of the device if it worked perfectly, just push the button, strum once, and pow, you're instantly in perfect tune every time. But if you're not, there's no point in having it. Either it puts you in perfect tune, or it doesn't.

What a shame that a guitar with such a majestic heritage has been reduced to a bunch of cheap marketing gimmicks. No doubt they'll sell a zillion of them to people who don't know any better, though.
------------------------------
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Quote by Ruark
Thanks for those replies. So what you guys are saying is that it misses the mark where tuning goes. It says the D string is in perfect tune, but it really isn't. What a sham, if that's true. I can see the value of the device if it worked perfectly, just push the button, strum once, and pow, you're instantly in perfect tune every time. But if you're not, there's no point in having it. Either it puts you in perfect tune, or it doesn't.

What a shame that a guitar with such a majestic heritage has been reduced to a bunch of cheap marketing gimmicks. No doubt they'll sell a zillion of them to people who don't know any better, though.

well to be fair it does work just not perfectly. as for selling zillions, not at the prices they are charging for them.
Has anyone tried the Tronical Tuners? Are they as bad as the Gibson's?

edit: nevermind they're the same thing
Last edited by nico_9550 at Jun 26, 2015,
Quote by nico_9550
Has anyone tried the Tronical Tuners? Are they as bad as the Gibson's?

edit: nevermind they're the same thing

Ahhhh. Just as I was about to write that.

THe issues:

1. They aren't necessarily very accurate.
2. They break easily if you're not careful.
3. Alternate tuning choices are VERY limited, both in choices and in actual usability
4. They can be thrown off in a noisy environment (such as "I'm in the middle of a gig")/
5. They add weight and complexity.
6. You can tune a '59 Burst with no issues. You think you're going to be able to MinETune a '15 burst in half a century? Who's fixing them then?
Quote by 21GunSalute
I want something that will tune a floyd rose automatically

You probably want a wizard, then.

(Invalid img)

Here you go.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by 21GunSalute
I want something that will tune a floyd rose automatically

You know, I haven't actually seen one on a Floyd-equipped guitar.
I think that might be a great application for one, though you'd want some safeguard against it trying to work when the locking nut is bolted down.

If it works at all <G>.
They're inaccurate pieces of shit that aren't worth the plastic they're made of. If you've ever seen one work well, you got lucky. Even the people building Gibson's guitars with them hate them, but they'll get fired if they speak out against it.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
wait are we talking about the robot les paul? it's seriously unanimously that bad? jeez what a bust
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You probably want a wizard, then.

(Invalid img)

Here you go.

Made my day.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Quote by Acϵ♠
wait are we talking about the robot les paul? it's seriously unanimously that bad? jeez what a bust

The Robot self-tuner is different IIRC, but they were a limited run.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I just tune my guitars by hand and ear. It only takes a few minutes and it's FAR more accurate when you tune your guitar to the other strings on your guitar.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
The Robot self-tuner is different IIRC, but they were a limited run.

The Robots were also designed by PowerTune (lately renamed Tronical) and Gibson wanted them everywhere in the Gibson line (they put them on the "flagship" Dork Star and Dust Tiger guitars as well).

Worth noting that the original self-tuning Gibson guitar was the TransPerformance (early '90's) that used the same basic technology, but that had the motors in the bridge. This $3500 boondoggle (just the bridge; the guitar was a lot more) required a rout that gouged out nearly half the LP body in order to stuff the whirring gizmos and electronics inside. And they capped it off with a photo top. Most of these systems suffer from the same basic issues.

Hopefully these will simply become an option for those (like Gibson's owner) simply can't play or tune their guitars! It's solution in search of a problem. In reality if you're ear is picky, you need to set a guitar up for the tuning you'll consistently use it in. Changing string tension all the time for altered tunings (the supposed advantage of this thing) affects the setup. If you want something that will work on the fly then you need a guitar like the one Line 6 puts out. It doesn't even attempt to mess with the string tuning so your setup isn't affected as you change settings.
HJ seems to be bent on ïmproving the Les Paul whether anyone wants it or not. SOme of us LP fans like the simplicicty and uniqueness of the original model. There's little to go wonky on it if taken care of. If I want something different the alternates out there already are staggering.
I fear it's an ego issue with HJ, it seems to gall him that he hasn't revolutionalised Gibson, it's not about making a better guitar for customers, it's about him making something better than what he inherited. As he doesn't really play guitar I say good luck with that.
Thank god I got my RIs before the prices went nuts. I've got 2, that's more than enough.
Moving on.....
What is Gibson thinking? A lot of players dream of owning a 1959 LP so they make a series that duplicates a 1959 a good as they can. So on one hand they acknowledge that a large part of their market is people who want a no frills/old school Les Paul then turn around and try to add a robot tuner to the normal LP line. The question of whether it works or not doesn't matter to me. I just wonder whether anyone at Gibson has a clue to where their customer base really is..
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jun 29, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
What is Gibson thinking? A lot of players dream of owning a 1959 LP so they make a series that duplicates a 1959 a good as they can. So on one hand they acknowledge that a large part of their market is people who want a no frills/old school Les Paul then turn around and try to add a robot tuner to the normal LP line. The question of whether it works or not doesn't matter to me. I just wonder whether anyone at Gibson has a clue to where their customer base really is..

Thing is, their CEO is wanting to expand the customer base, because all of us old farts that like LPs the way they were are dying out.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Rickholly74

I think they have no idea what the hell they are doing. If you go to their site, they basicly offer the same guitar in 53847190 versions that barely stand apart. The whole les paul range is confusing as hell, with the high end guitars being basicly the same as the "low" end, and everything is described as "traditional badas tone" or whatever. If they really wanted to expand their reach they could, i dunno, chage the goddamn pickups to something other than the burstbuckers or whatever they happen to produce.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Rickholly74
The question of whether it works or not doesn't matter to me. I just wonder whether anyone at Gibson has a clue to where their customer base really is..

I talk to Marketing folks at Gibson at least once a year.

They know who their customer base Has Been over the years, but they're far less sure who it is going forward.

Their Baby Boomer base, where the big money has been, is moving toward retirement at a rate of 12,000 per day. They have little credibility in the entry level guitarist community (if for no other reason than they're too expensive). They've tried to produce cheaper guitars, but they mostly produced crap that tarnished their reputation as a premium guitar builder, and they cannibalized sales of their more expensive stuff. They really didn't gain in that area because they're not really competitive under $1000.

Guitar bands have nothing like the widespread popularity they once had and personal mixes have replaced huge wattage radio stations and MTV videos. Skrillex is an emo guy with a laptop and immense popularity.

Guitar Center is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy.

Gibson is probably headed for a contraction phase while it attempts to remain relevant.

Henry believes their salvation is in technology and in bringing the guitar up to date. At the same time, he runs a company based on guitar traditionalism. He's convinced that automatic tuning is the future, and he has been for the last 20 years. He rails that guitarists are Luddites because they don't share his vision.

And yet, when you think of multi-scale (fan-fret), longer scale or more than six strings, Gibson is probably the last company you associate with that.

When customers complain that their guitars are turning yellow and that the finish is cracking, he remains adamant about using a finish that endangers his workers and the environment and that slows production drastically.

When $400 guitars offer ebony fretboards and real MOP inlays, he offers Richlite on $4000 customs.

It's next to impossible to find a Gibson with a 16" radius fretboard and jumbo frets or active pickups.

And so on...
^^ great post. Gibson has no clue where they're going. They don't even know where they want to go. They are utterly lost.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
And that sums it up pretty accurately.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Thing is, their CEO is wanting to expand the customer base, because all of us old farts that like LPs the way they were are dying out.

I might be in my 20s now but even when I was a teenager the LPs I dreamed about didn't have Robot tuners and all the stupid shit they have now.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I might be in my 20s now but even when I was a teenager the LPs I dreamed about didn't have Robot tuners and all the stupid shit they have now.

If the tuner works, I don;t really have an issue. Apparently the 'newer' versions are more reliable, and at least one of Alice Cooper's guitar players(Ryan Roxie, IIRC) has been using a 2015 standard as his go-to guitar for the tour they're on atm.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
If the tuner works, I don;t really have an issue. Apparently the 'newer' versions are more reliable,

Not so "apparently" at all, unless you haven't been reading.
Quote by dspellman
Not so "apparently" at all, unless you haven't been reading.

Reading? What do you think i am, some kind of nerd-dork-hybrid?
Quote by Diemon Dave