Hi All

I'm sure you have all seen these questions before, but my new amp has sort of thrown me a bit. So just need confirmation.

The amp is a Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube, I have an old crappy quad box lying around that I wanted to run the Peavey into, the cab is 8ohm.

Now... The back of my Peavey looks like this:

You see the issue, the top says 8ohm ext speaker? But below the output jack is says 16ohm?

Whats going on?

Is it 8ohm or 16ohm? The single speaker in the combo says 16ohm on it.
Can I run a 16ohm into a 8ohm cab regardless?

Thanks
Guitars:
Ashcustomworks: Phoenix RRV
ESP LTD: M200FM - With EMG 81/81
ESP LTD: M50 - With EMG HZ's
ESP LTD: EX50
Fender: Strat

Amps:
Peavey: Vypyr 60 Tube - 1x12
Marshall: AVT100 - 1x12 & 4x12
Last edited by Stildawn at Jun 26, 2015,
And the winner for UG's biggest thread-starter picture goes to you! How on earth did you do that?

And don't mismatch the imps for the Vypyr 60. Solid States can deal with mismatches but that's another issue. Tube amps aren't so happy about it, and although the Vypyr 60 isn't real tube I wouldn't do it.

What it might be suggesting is the internal speaker will not cut off when an ext speaker is plugged in. I presume you would need another 8 ohm speaker load like what you have, so the ext speakers are wired in series. 8+8=16 total. But I'm not sure if the internal speaker will cut off or not.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jun 26, 2015,
What does the owners manual say? Some amps can run both, some cannot.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
It's a generic manual that covers the whole range of amps. Surely if it says 8 ohm for the ext speaker it should be OK?
Guitars:

Amps:
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
The manual says the output is in parallel with the internal speaker and a min 16ohm load should be plugged into that jack. Oddly enough the picture of the back panel for the 60/120 has 16 Ohm printed where your amp says 8 Ohm. My advice would be to call contact tech support and tell them that your amp is in disagreement with the manual. Sounds to me like you should be using a 16 ohm cab if you plug in the ext cab and the internal speaker is still active.
^+1 16ohm cab is correct. I run 120 tube through 16 ohm 4x12, 120's speakers remain active.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Hmmm ok, it wouldnt have anything to do with wall voltage? I live in NZ and we have 240v wall outlets?
Guitars:

Amps:
Odd, Well I've emailed Peavey hopefully they can clear it up.
Guitars:

Amps:
Quote by crackerjack123
^+1 16ohm cab is correct. I run 120 tube through 16 ohm 4x12, 120's speakers remain active.

that is what i would read it as. it seems like an 8 ohm jack, expecting a 16 ohm load to go with it's onboard speaker.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
So plugging in a 8 ohm cabinet is ok?
Guitars:

Amps: