Hi guys i am a beginner and i am currently learning the open chords and some dominant 7 chords.
Could you guys please help me in listing important chord changes consisting these chords.
Also do i have to practice chord changes from each chord to the other or only the important chord changes say c to g or g to d etc.
As you progress you'll find chord changes, when learning songs, can go in almost any direction.

When I was a kid learning I had no idea what to do, I learned by ear after 2 uncles taught me the basic A through G chords, I just learned to go through them all, A B C D E F G, as fast as I could, worried about what specific chord to change to later. You never know so you should be able to change from any one to any other as fast as you can.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Hi

Amount of practice time is good but how you practice is more important.

You will need to understand chord progression. This is a big plus point learning how to change chords. Take for instant G to C.

The most common way fret a G chord is - Finger 1 on open A string 2 fret, Finger 2 open Low E string 3 fret and Finger 3 open high E string 3 fret.

As for the C chord is - Finger 1 open B string 1 fret, Finger 2 open D string second fret and Finger 3 open A string 3 fret.

Now if you are going to move from G to C, as a beginner all fingers need to reposition and trust me you will fumble more than anything else....I have been there done that.

There is another way to play a G chord that is Finger 2 on open string A 2 fret, Finger 3 Low E string 3 fret and Finger 4 High E string 3 fret.

Now if you use the second way your finger 1 is free ready over the open B string 1 fret while fingers 2 and 3 is already in the chord shape of C just that you have to move it down by 1 string each and moving it back to G is to for finger 2 and 3 to move up and put the pinky or finger 4 back to high E 3 fret.

Play G this way has also an advantage to get to D7.

It is very good to know different ways to fret down a chord so that you have options for chord progression.

Last thing is when learning how to change chord, do only down stroke strumming very slowly. 4 strokes to one change. Whatever you do, don't stop the strumming hands just for the fretting hand to adjust. Even if you screw up the chord, strings down ring out well, continue strumming in a very very slow manner and adjust your fretting fingers. do 8 strokes to one change if needed.....just don't stop strumming.

A very good song to play for G to C to G to D7 is Amazing Grace
Last edited by stkhoo at Jun 27, 2015,
I recently posted this at Guitar Domination but wanted to share a short and punchy version for my fellow Ultimate Guitarists.

The following tips will help all your chord changes.

1) The `Pivot` method

On certain chord changes you can leave one (or sometimes two fingers) in the exact same place for both chords. For example, the G Major to E minor chord change is a very popular chord change and can be used in a tonne of songs from Stand by Me (Ben E. King), Songbird (Oasis), and many more…To use the pivot method here going from a G to Em the:

1st finger stays in the same position (used as pivot)
2nd finger will move from the 3rd fret, 6th string to the 2th fret, 4th string
3rd finger moves off the fretboard

The reason why this is such a good method is that it makes it much easier to get all the fingers in the correct position quickly and with ease while pivoting around one finger.

Have a think about which other chord changes you frequently do where you can `Pivot` from and to.

2) The `Lift up` Method

Many beginner guitarists don`t realise this until someone shows them, but a lot of pro`s and I mean a LOT use what I call the `Lift Up` method.

This is a great method and one you should use today.

On the last upstroke you strum, you lift your fingers off the fretboard with your fretting hand and start moving towards the next chord.

This buys you time to get your fingers into position for the next chord.

Yes, it is just a fraction of a second, but hopefully by now, you will have realised that fraction a second makes all the difference.

If you were to strum a very basic pattern of:

D, D, U, U, D, U

Normally that last upstroke you would play with your fingers on the chord, but now we lift our fingers off on that highlighted upstroke.

As the fingers of your fretting hand are in the air they should be moving towards the next chord while the right hand is still strumming.

It is difficult at first as you need to be moving your fretting hand on an upstroke which you probably won`t have done yet, but stick with it as it will make BIG difference.

If you want quicker chord changes and are feeling huge amounts of frustration, fear not, the above techniques will help.
Get a free copy of my eBook at Guitar Domination

If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can happen through music.
Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by RSGuitarTuition at Jul 10, 2015,