When it comes to bass guitar what type of pickups are there and what are tne differences in sound.

All I know are J and P types as I have a J/P combo bass (a karina bass). To me (correct me if I am wrong)
  • J (Jazz): seems to have a more flatt sound
  • P (Precison): seems to have a more brighter warmer tone
I tend to use the P pickup more than the J one as I prefer that tone.

I know there are other types of pickup and I don't know much about them.

One day I hope to upgrade my 4 string to a 5 string of some kind so this info will come in handy. I like a bass that has options to shape the sound to suite different songs and genres.

I would appreciate any info regarding bass pickups.
Single and split coils will sound pretty much the same, the only difference being that split coils are hum cancelling. The brand and wiring will make a much bigger difference.
Quote by mickeyj4j
  • J (Jazz): seems to have a more flatt sound
  • P (Precison): seems to have a more brighter warmer tone

For a couple reasons your conclusions are somewhat off:
First, and most importantly, the pickups are in different positions, presumably the J is in the bridge and the P in the neck position. You're going to have a fuller sound from the neck pickup anyway.
Secondly, warmer and brighter are almost opposites; saying that something is both is pretty much an oxymoron.

If you were to try each pickup in one position, I believe the result is basically that the P bass pickup has more power to it and the J bass pickup has more treble and "honk".
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
If by warm he means more bass then he's probably right. The neck position will pick up a lot more bass and a lot more clacky and percussive treble too. The bridge position accentuates the mids but has a lot less bass and treble.
don't forget humbuckers, the one trve pickup
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
There are actually quite a few different bass pickups, and some are known by "type" names that do not take into account their differences.

The "Precision Bass" pickup is really just a humbucker, like any other. The offset arrangement of the two coils is what makes it unique.

The "Jazz Bass" pickup is a straight-up single coil pickup, like those found on so many Fender guitars. It is just sized and tweaked for bass. They make "Stacked Humbucker Jazz Bass" pickups, too.

The "Music Man Humbucker" is a big, fat, massive humbucker; by and large, it is a standard humbucker, but made for bass.

"Soapbar" is an over-used term. It describes any bass pickup that is rectangular; about one inch by four, five, or six inches, and is usually a very low-noise design. But those "Soapbar" covers hide all sorts of pickups, so the term is frequently inaccurate.

High-end basses like Alembic use low-impedance pickups that require a preamp, and are very high-fidelity pickups.

Rickenbacker used to use what was called a "Horseshoe Pickup" because of its shape.

There are definitely others.

Tone and sound qualities vary from one model to the next; even within a specific type. For instance: there must be a hundred different Precision Bass pickups that have different tonal characteristics, but they all pretty much look the same.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley