Page 1 of 2
Since I'm getting the Dean this late August/early September I'll be occupied for a while.

But that got me thinking, what are some nice Les Pauls and copies that are priced well in Europe?
I checked out all those Japanese Les Paul clones but they're really expensive here.
Care to help?

Also, is there a Schecter LP clone?
I found that Ryan Bruce played one early on in his career but I don't know which one it is.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
what are some nice Les Pauls and copies that are priced well in Europe?

Tokai, Burny, Edwards. Vintage is a less expensive brand that’s comparable with Epiphone.

I checked out all those Japanese Les Paul clones but they're really expensive here.

It might be cheaper to get one of those on Reverb or eBay in the USA.

The Solo-6 is derived from the LP design, but it’s a smaller lighter guitar rather than a clone.
I can't speak to availability or value for money in Europe. But quality? Specs? Let's go!

I currently own 4 LPclones: a Malden Bad Karma, an Electra Omega Prime, a Reverend Roundhouse and a Reverend Rick Vito (hardtail). Of those, the Rick Vito is the best, followed by the Electra, the Bad Karma, and the Roundhouse. Alas, only the Electra is really in production. Malden went under, and Reverend discontinued the Roundhouse years ago, and the hardtail Rick Vitos in 2014. The ones with Bigsbys are still being made.

As you might expect, each is different. The Roundhouse is a slightly smaller bodied LPclone, made of Korina. Very nice, with a middle of the road classic HB voice. The one trick up its sleeve is the Bass Contour knob, present on all Reverends. This knob lets you control your bass-end notes like your tone knob does for your treble-end ones.

They haven't been made since 2007, but I see them every few months on Reverb, eBay, and the like, usually under $600, sometimes under $400. As a whole, they have no real issues, but they're also nothing special tonally...unless you find one with RevTron miniHBs. RevTrons are based on the classic FillerTron pickups, so have a killer Gretsch-like twang.

The Malden, a curvy slab of mahogany, sustains more than almost any guitar I own. If you look around, they pop up from time to time, usually cheap (he brand never got much traction, so they suffer in the used market). More accurately, I see more Karmas than Bad Karmas. The only differences between the Karma and the Bad Karma is the BK has higher output pickups and only comes in black. Karmas can be found flamed or in goldtops. The pickups are the weak point, IMHO. I'm getting some Rio Grands for mine. As for cheap- again, when seen, they're typically under $500 these days.

The Electras are simply killer. The resurrected brand launched from where they left off: classic LP HB tones, coil splitting, a slight tweak to the LP's sexy good looks, and- most importantly- good quality. If Electra had more designs I liked, I'd be as mad for the brand as I am for Reverend. They typically run $800-1100 here, depending on if you buy an Omega or an Omega Prime. Honestly, though, most of what you get with the Primes is prettier finishes and things like maple caps. If you don't mind black or white, don't pay extra. The guys running that company- longtime industry vets- know their stuff, too: I asked for mine to be delivered in New Standard Tuning, with certain guage strings. It came tuned in NST, with the proper sized strings, set up perfectly. No flaws to the guitar, either.

The Rick Vito sits in the niche of the P90 equipped LPs. Like the Roundhouse and all other Reverends, it is made of korina and equipped with a Bass Contour knob. It also has Art Deco-inspired styling that gives it a unique visual presence. Killer tones, sophisticated looks. Used hardtails, when they can be found, cost $800-1000. Used ones with Bigsbys cost $100-200 more, and new Bigsby equipped ones run @$1200-1500.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
And as for the Japanese brands, I'd TOTALLY buy a Burny or Edwards. Good guitars, well made.

BUT I'd ask the guys in the LP thread before buying one. They know the prices on them a LOT better than I do, and could help you find the best deals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 27, 2015,
Hagstrom would be worth a look, too, and probably easier to find.

Tokai. I got one for around £400 and although it isn't quite as good as my Gibson it sure is close. To be honest, were I ever in the mood to buy another Les Paul I'd be more likely to get two or three Tokai copies rather than one Gibson. I still love my Gibson, I should point out, but A Tokai is almost just as good for less than half the price.
just watch if you're looking at tokais- there are cheaper models which aren't made in japan
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sooo..."Jokais"?

Quote by Dave_Mc
just watch if you're looking at tokais- there are cheaper models which aren't made in japan

IIRC Edwards is a mix of Chinese and Japanese parts and labor, which is why their guitars are so much less expensive than most MIJ guitars.
Godin has some nice LPclones- Icons, Cores, the xtSA- covering a decent spread of prices and specs.

Schecter makes a Solo-II body style that's a solid LP clone. Here's a link to a Blackjack version. VERY metal...I mean. It's Schecter.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BJATXBk?adpos=1o1&creative=55280653081&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CICF6qb0scYCFQiEaQodYb8Dvg
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
The Schecter LP model has a slightly weird shape. If you can get past that, then all the power to you.

However, I really recommend Edwards guitars. They just get it right. I've had their John Sykes model for some years now and, honestly, I can't believe what some people are willing to shell out for authentic Gibson guitars. These Edwards man. They are good. Really good.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Sooo..."Jokais"?

lol

lot handier than typing "MIJ Tokais" all the time

Quote by jpnyc
IIRC Edwards is a mix of Chinese and Japanese parts and labor, which is why their guitars are so much less expensive than most MIJ guitars.

yeah I think so. At least, apart from the very early ones, and unless they've changed recently (I haven't been paying too close attention).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
All right guys/galls, after the Dean I think I'll get one of these two guitars:

http://guitarcenter.pl/catalog/schecter/gitara/gitary/gitary-elektryczne/schecter-solo-6-custom-dvs

http://guitarcenter.pl/catalog/schecter/gitara/gitary/gitary-elektryczne/schecter-solo-6-custom-blk

Anybody know what the necks feel like on there?

Also, what would be a guitar to learn how to set up? I feel if I **** up with the Dean I'll probably feel sad. I currently have this Sterling by Music Man but my dad said he'll learn how to play on this later on in life.
I looked at these cheap Harley Benton guitars.

EDIT:Oh, and cheap noise gates? I'll get a bigger discount if I buy as a whole. So nothing used like ISP's.
Fly on, fly on
^^ Those are single cuts but they don't do a thing for me visually. Why don't you check out some PRS models.
Moving on.....
Quote by Fryderyczek
All right guys/galls, after the Dean I think I'll get one of these two guitars:

http://guitarcenter.pl/catalog/schecter/gitara/gitary/gitary-elektryczne/schecter-solo-6-custom-dvs

http://guitarcenter.pl/catalog/schecter/gitara/gitary/gitary-elektryczne/schecter-solo-6-custom-blk

Anybody know what the necks feel like on there?

Also, what would be a guitar to learn how to set up? I feel if I **** up with the Dean I'll probably feel sad. I currently have this Sterling by Music Man but my dad said he'll learn how to play on this later on in life.
I looked at these cheap Harley Benton guitars.

EDIT:Oh, and cheap noise gates? I'll get a bigger discount if I buy as a whole. So nothing used like ISP's.

One thing you should keep in mind with the Schecter Solo shape is they're usually 25.5 inch scale length compared to the 24.75 inch scale of typical Les Pauls. But Schecter necks are pretty comfy. Round but not too thick.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by GraceByDeath
One thing you should keep in mind with the Schecter Solo shape is they're usually 25.5 inch scale length compared to the 24.75 inch scale of typical Les Pauls. But Schecter necks are pretty comfy. Round but not too thick.

Yeah. Thanks. Both are 24.75 scale.

Quote by KenG
^^ Those are single cuts but they don't do a thing for me visually. Why don't you check out some PRS models.

Nah, don't really like them although I'd love to try one out. Thanks anyway.

Slight Edit and two other questions. I found these two pedals(cheap, noise gate and a tuner).

What do you think?

http://guitarcenter.pl/catalog/gitary/efekty-gitarowe/kostki/joyo-jf-31-noise-gate

http://guitarcenter.pl/catalog/basy/akcesoria/tunery/warwick-pt-2-bk
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Jun 29, 2015,
Quote by jpnyc

Just the labor. The parts are Gotoh, the pups are SDs and the finish + fretwork + installation of important bits are all done in Japan.

Quote by Dave_Mc
lol

lot handier than typing "MIJ Tokais" all the time

yeah I think so. At least, apart from the very early ones, and unless they've changed recently (I haven't been paying too close attention).

It's tough to say because info has varied a lot over the years (and even from ESP themselves).

What is commonly supported now is that early run Edwards guitars up until possibly the mid 2000s were mostly MIJ. Afterwards, they ended up moving the Eddy stuff to their MIC factory (which has legit ESP MIJ workers doing the QC and overseeing the line) for initial assembly and then everything else (I.E. finish work, fret work, installation of hardware etc...) is done IN Japan by the ESP factory.

As for the whole Europe thing, try and see if you can find an FGN. They are MIJ (made in the Fujigen factory) and they have an EDM version that you can find at retailers I bet.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jun 29, 2015,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Just the labor. The parts are Gotoh, the pups are SDs and the finish + fretwork + installation of important bits are all done in Japan.

It's tough to say because info has varied a lot over the years (and even from ESP themselves).

What is commonly supported now is that early run Edwards guitars up until possibly the mid 2000s were mostly MIJ. Afterwards, they ended up moving the Eddy stuff to their MIC factory (which has legit ESP MIJ workers doing the QC and overseeing the line) for initial assembly and then everything else (I.E. finish work, fret work, installation of hardware etc...) is done IN Japan by the ESP factory.

As for the whole Europe thing, try and see if you can find an FGN. They are MIJ (made in the Fujigen factory) and they have an EDM version that you can find at retailers I bet.

No Les Pauls. Only one is like 1100US. Still, thanks.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
No Les Pauls. Only one is like 1100US. Still, thanks.

no les pauls huh?:

They are a bit more expensive but they're really nice guitars. Might be able to find a used one for cheaper.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
no les pauls huh?:

They are a bit more expensive but they're really nice guitars. Might be able to find a used one for cheaper.

I'm talking here in Poland. Used.
But yeah, they're nice.
Fly on, fly on
Well to be honest with you, you will most likely not find any MIJ anything used in Poland. If you're just looking locally then really the only things you can get are those Schecters you listed

There are a bunch of entry level MIJ guitars that you can probably get a good deal on if ever you decide to order something online or somewhere abroad. Burny has their RLC/RLG 85 and higher models, Tokai LS-90 + etc...

Again though, you most likely won't be finding any of those locally. Just felt like mentioning them in case you wanted to look further.

Burny:

Tokai:

FGN:

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well to be honest with you, you will most likely not find any MIJ anything used in Poland. If you're just looking locally then really the only things you can get are those Schecters you listed

There are a bunch of entry level MIJ guitars that you can probably get a good deal on if ever you decide to order something online or somewhere abroad. Burny has their RLC/RLG 85 and higher models, Tokai LS-90 + etc...

Again though, you most likely won't be finding any of those locally. Just felt like mentioning them in case you wanted to look further.

Burny:

Tokai:

FGN:

There are quite a few of these Tokai Les Pauls, but they're like 1250US here. After the Dean I think I'll stick to the Schecter.
Fly on, fly on
Personally I would just skip the Dean and Schecter and get 1 really nice guitar but hey, what do I know.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Personally I would just skip the Dean and Schecter and get 1 really nice guitar but hey, what do I know.

I like the Dean, and the Schecter.

EDIT:You have a Dean as well tho.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
I like the Dean, and the Schecter.

EDIT:You have a Dean as well tho.

Mine is a real original run not junk one though.

The Schenker guitar is a new MII one sure, but it's junk and I have it as a wall decoration. It never gets played. That should tell you how I feel about that one. Heck I even forgot I had it for a second when I replied to your post.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Mine is a real original run not junk one though.

The MS guitar is a new MII one sure, but it's junk and I have it as a wall decoration. It never gets played. That should tell you how I feel about that one.

Come on, they can't be that bad(Deans in general).

Also, side questions.
1. What are some good guitar shops in Canada?
2.What do you think of these pedals?
http://guitarcenter.pl/catalog/gitary/efekty-gitarowe/kostki/joyo-jf-31-noise-gate
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Come on, they can't be that bad(Deans in general).

Also, side questions.
1. What are some good guitar shops in Canada?
2.What do you think of these pedals?

They all aren't bad sure. They aren't great either. I don't know, if I was budget conscious and didn't have much cash to waste, Dean wouldn't be my first choice by a long-shot. But it's been debated to death and you want a Dean so we will leave it at that.

Good guitar shops in Canada? I don't know. There are chains (like Long & Mcquade or Steve's Music) that are decent but most of the shops I personally like are smaller mom & pops.

Joyo pedals are fine for the most part. Only used the ODs though so no experience with that one. That particular pedal (the noise-gate) has not had many positive reviews (most complaining that you are literally cranking the threshold before it works) so I would be weary.

The Warwick tuner I don't know at all. Probably some cheapo tuner that was rehoused for the European market or something.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
They all aren't bad sure. They aren't great either. I don't know, if I was budget conscious and didn't have much cash to waste, Dean wouldn't be my first choice by a long-shot. But it's been debated to death and you want a Dean so we will leave it at that.

Good guitar shops in Canada? I don't know. There are chains (like Long & Mcquade or Steve's Music) that are decent but most of the shops I personally like are smaller mom & pops.

Joyo pedals are fine for the most part. Only used the ODs though so no experience with that one. That particular pedal (the noise-gate) has not had many positive reviews (most complaining that you are literally cranking the threshold before it works) so I would be weary.

The Warwick tuner I don't know at all. Probably some cheapo tuner that was rehoused for the European market or something.

Yeah. I think I might move to Canada when I'll get older(8-9 years time to some place like Calgary or Toronto) and I was curious about the shops. The local small music shop here has Ernie Ball strings for like 9US a pack. On the internet store here they cost 4.5

The two pedals I just looked for the cheapest noise gate and tuner I could find. I'd get a bigger discount if I buy the Dean along with the two pedals.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Yeah. I think I might move to Canada when I'll get older(8-9 years time to some place like Calgary or Toronto) and I was curious about the shops. The local small music shop here has Ernie Ball strings for like 9US a pack. On the internet store here they cost 4.5

The two pedals I just looked for the cheapest noise gate and tuner I could find. I'd get a bigger discount if I buy the Dean along with the two pedals.

Canada is nice but I would study about where you are planning to move really intently. How jobs work, schooling, taxes, housing, etc... It's costly to make a big move and if you find that you don't like it, moving back won't be cheap either. If you are interested in playing music though, places like Toronto or MTL would be better scene wise.

Yeah see the smaller guitar stores around here mostly can't be ripping people off like that. I can think of 2 smaller shops around here that tried scummy things like that and they probably lasted 3-4 years before they went out of business.

In fact, my local store is usually cheaper than the big chains. Especially if you're getting labor done (like fixes, setups etc...)
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Canada is nice but I would study about where you are planning to move really intently. How jobs work, schooling, taxes, housing, etc... It's costly to make a big move and if you find that you don't like it, moving back won't be cheap either. If you are interested in playing music though, places like Toronto or MTL would be better scene wise.

Yeah see the smaller guitar stores around here mostly can't be ripping people off like that. I can think of 2 smaller shops around here that tried scummy things like that and they probably lasted 3-4 years before they went out of business.

In fact, my local store is usually cheaper than the big chains. Especially if you're getting labor done (like fixes, setups etc...)

I'm currently going to start studying IT next year. 3 years of college and the 3 ears of Uni in Germany(perks of my mother working in the school). After that I automatically get a job in one of the places here(There aren't many IT specialists in Germany so that's why the school got into a partnership with the other school and the company). I thought of staying at my mom and dad's place for like a year or two and then moving to Canada.
I even made a thread on 4chan asking about this stuff, they helped surprisingly
Fly on, fly on
Nice. Well good luck on your schooling and future and hopefully it works out for you

4chan isnt as bad as before so yeah
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Nice. Well good luck on your schooling and future and hopefully it works out for you

4chan isnt as bad as before so yeah

Thanks man.

What did you study may I ask?
Fly on, fly on
I actually started working full time after high school because im one of those losers that didnt know what they wanted to be

I like high tech stuff so I would probably try to get in that field. Maybe something like computer engineering but would have to bump my chemistry and AF marks up though
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I actually started working full time after high school because im one of those losers that didnt know what they wanted to be

I like high tech stuff so I would probably try to get in that field. Maybe something like computer engineering but would have to bump my chemistry and AF marks up though

Like 2(or 1.5, around that) years ago I had a bit of a dilemma about what I wanted to do. I wanted to pursue music full time-as in quit college and join a band but I didn't see the cons of that.

Bit weird telling that to someone older than me but still,
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Jun 29, 2015,
I never had aspirations like that. Music is just a hobby for me and never really wanted to pursue it past what I was already doing.

Either way, school was always my goal. I just had some misteps on the way
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Fryderyczek
Since I'm getting the Dean this late August/early September I'll be occupied for a while.

But that got me thinking, what are some nice Les Pauls and copies that are priced well in Europe?
Care to help?

I found that Ryan Bruce played one early on in his career but I don't know which one it is.

You can get a decent Japanese clone for a reasonable price if you´re just patient enough. I have an El Maya that´s really nice which I paid about 300 Euros for. I paid 450 for my Orville, 460 for my Greco. I also found an ARIA PRO II Les Paul from the early 80s on a flea market for 140 Euros.
Quote by Fryderyczek
Yeah. Thanks. Both are 24.75 scale.

Kk. Well the Damien Elite Solo 6 is listed at 25.5 inch on Musician's Friend. So I just figured I'd warn you. I also found a few Soloist Shapes on Schecter's website at 25.5 inches. Though definitely not many. Good luck!
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Page 1 of 2