So currently I have two amplifiers. I have a vox vt80+ that I use for practicing and performances and a HK tubemeister 5 watt that I use for recording. The vox is a great versatile amp that has some good tones and is extremely nice for practicing low volume amd recording but it obviously falls short to pricier, "real", tube amplifiers such as Marshall stacks and mesa/boogies. It's tempting to save up and just splurge on the amp that one of my favorite artists plays and that way I'm guranteed it will sound "good" but if I'm spending lots of money to get a good amp for long term, I want it to be a well informed decision. Price is also a big factor, I'm willing to spend enough for a great amp, but don't want to spend more than necessary. I also want to note that I find it hard to try out loud amplifiers in music stores for the fact that it just seems mega disruptive.
First off, it's a music store, if someone doesn't want to hear a loud amp then they shouldn't be shopping there haha.

Anyways. I like to use distortion and overdrive pedals for my main source of gain(90% of the time), but I suggest finding an amp that you like the amps own distortion. Also you obviously have to get what you will need. Price, And what kind of music you play etc etc

I use a 40 watt traynor head with a 2x12 can. It's plenty because, unless in practice, everything is mic'd out the front. Even if our PA crashes or something, it's still plenty loud for me to just use it for the places we play.

There will be more guys who can give you much better ideas, but that's my two cents.
I'd say for the amp head, somewhere around a grand is where I've been kind of thinking, but anything equatable that's less would be even better. Location is USA, up in Michigan.
Quote by Mcke
I'd say for the amp head, somewhere around a grand is where I've been kind of thinking, but anything equatable that's less would be even better. Location is USA, up in Michigan.

ok we're getting warmer but you have to tell us what styles of music you play as that would be a big help. what guitar are you currently using? perhaps a little more about what you want out of an amp would get you better answers.
I feel as if "the style of music I play" wont do much to determine what amp is best. I mean as far as electric guitar, I play blues, jazz, metal, rock. I'd say my favorite "electric" guitarists are similar to this as well, my top 3 being joe satriani, joe bonamassa, and steve vai. But my interests as far as electric range from dream theater, animals as leaders, avenged sevenfold to john mclaughlin and pat metheny. What I play most is incorporative of all genres
Oh, and my two guitars are a jackson DK2 with a Floyd rose original and dimarzio pickups and an epiphone les paul custom (one of the older ones before they started making them cheaper )
Mesa Roadster is just a bit over budget but would do you well.

Used Peavey JSX would also do you pretty well and you could get the head and a Mesa 212 cab for about budget depending on the deals.

Carvin V3 may also work but I've never played one.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Mcke
I feel as if "the style of music I play" wont do much to determine what amp is best. I mean as far as electric guitar, I play blues, jazz, metal, rock. I'd say my favorite "electric" guitarists are similar to this as well, my top 3 being joe satriani, joe bonamassa, and steve vai. But my interests as far as electric range from dream theater, animals as leaders, avenged sevenfold to john mclaughlin and pat metheny. What I play most is incorporative of all genres

dude really. so if i said hey get a Peavey 6505 to a guy who plays country that wouldn't matter? there is no "best" amp but there are amps that are better at delivering certain tones.

for Vai and Satriani something like a Peavey JSX would be the ticket. Joe Bonamassa on the other hand would be better suited by either a fender for the clean stuff or something with a vintage marshall sound for his distorted stuff. it does make a difference. a jack of all trades amp is a master of none.

ok i guess i'd look at the Peavey JSX (or the new XXX which replaced the JSX) it has 3 channels and is pretty versatile.
How bout a Randall RM? I'm sure you could score one with a few modules in budget. That way you don't have to choose a specific tone, you can collect 'em all.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I have seen some mesa/boogie ads on craigslist within my budget. A lot of you are reccomending artist series amps. Are those really worth it? I know the peavey jsx is not too expensive. But for example, the joe satriani jvm410 is way more than the standard jvm410.
Be patient and buy used gear piecemeal. Buy a nice used 2x12. Once you have that start saving up for a small head—something in the 15–30 watt range. Worry about the big amps if you start playing big venues with no PA systems.
Quote by Mcke
I have seen some mesa/boogie ads on craigslist within my budget. A lot of you are reccomending artist series amps. Are those really worth it? I know the peavey jsx is not too expensive. But for example, the joe satriani jvm410 is way more than the standard jvm410.

they can be if the features are what you need. joe's new marshall is pretty pricey haven't had a chance to try one yet. not all are expensive but they do tend to be more than regular models.
And also, does anyone know how much the peavey jsx compares to the JVM410JS? There's a huge difference in price for that artist series
Quote by Mcke
And also, does anyone know how much the peavey jsx compares to the JVM410JS? There's a huge difference in price for that artist series

Both are JS models and are equally nice; however, the JSX provides way better Bang for the $$$. They regularly go for ~$500 used (check GC Used). You'll be very happy with it.

The Mesa TremOVerb head will also be within your budget. Depending on how lucky/patient you are, you can snag one for about the same price or higher. About a year ago, you can snag one for $450-600 but they've increased in price since then. The RectoVerbs are also very nice and are a bit cheaper than the TremOVerbs.

If you can find a Laney VH100R, check them out, too. $500-600 is a good deal.
The Mesa Roadster is a very nice amp and I've seen the 212 combos go for the stupid price of $1000 or less.

The Laney Ironheart IRT120 is also nice (MIC) and you can snag one from $500-600 ... since it's relatively new compared to the VH100R.

You can also check out the Soldano Avenger and Hot Rod 100 Plus, both around your budget for the head.

Splawn makes quality amps so check out the Nitro, QuickRod, and ProMod, all below and up to a bit over your budget.
I'm pretty interested in either the JSX or a mesa boogie. The only thing is, without actually being able to play both in comparison, peavey just seems like a less reputable company than mesa. I'm sure that's not the case as in this amp but with the jsx being only available used, I can't just try them out to compare. And theres also the question of the reliability
Quote by Mcke
I'm pretty interested in either the JSX or a mesa boogie. The only thing is, without actually being able to play both in comparison, peavey just seems like a less reputable company than mesa. I'm sure that's not the case as in this amp but with the jsx being only available used, I can't just try them out to compare. And theres also the question of the reliability

The JSX, like most American-made Peaveys, is built like a tank. It got its reputation for being very reliable, like most Mesa Boogies. The one I got as a gift when it first came out has never had any issues, not even a blown fuse.
Check out the Traynor Iron Horse. 40 watt tube amp. Goes for about $560 Canadian. Nice 2x12 traynor cab you can get for around the same price.
I owned a JSX for a while. Really fantastic amp, super reliable like all Peavey MIA stuff. I miss it a bit. Even right up to the point when I sold it, I was still discovering new tones I could get out of it. And it will do what you want to play really well, no problem.

The clean channel is great for jazz, really dark and really clean if you want it to be. crunch has a really wide range for you to play with. the lead just oozes virtuoso tone. I don't play that stuff, but Satriana/Vai/etc is exactly what it sounds like. is used it for prog and death, stuff ranging around Between the Buried and Me, Gojira & Black Dahlia Murder. And with a boost in front it was great for that too.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 28, 2015,